Official Technical Running Shoe Discussion

Apparently, these shoes called Newton's are also nice shoes, although they're expensive... $170. They have this weird technology where these lugs onthe shoe sole are used as these small shocks that move into these crevices of the shoe every time the runner lands on the fore foot.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/

I think I might now switch over to the Vomeros now... my feet have been tired recently, and I don't think I'm much of a stability shoe person. I thinkI underpronate instead of overpronating.

What are your thoughts on the 587? I hear its a bulky shoe and not as stable as a 850 or 1011.
New-Balance-587-NV-Men-040964.jpg

The 587 seems to be somewhat of a take-down version of the 993. To me these seem more like a walking shoe (old man) shoe than an actual running trainer. Thelast appears to be very similar to the Brooks Addiction. Posting does not look to be all that stable, but without feeling the durometer you can never be sure.

New-Balance-1011-MC-Men-043025.jpg

The 1011 is a SERIOUS motion control shoe. This shoe and the Brooks Beast are the most stable shoes from the major running companies. The shoes are made tocompensate for the collapse of the arch, which causes the foot to roll inwards. You can tell because the shoe is built up in the arch, without much shape toit.

Apparently, these shoes called Newton's are also nice shoes, although they're expensive... $170. They have this weird technology where these lugs on the shoe sole are used as these small shocks that move into these crevices of the shoe every time the runner lands on the fore foot.
I've heard mixed reviews on these. Because there are old school guys who say you shouldn't try to force yourself to run any different thanyour natural stride. Shoes and orthodics that can help correct any motion issues. The concept does seem to make sense, heel striking does take a lot of energyto apsorb the impact and recover on every stride, therefore midfoot striking is more efficient. I personally haven't tried, nor do I think I will because Ihave also heard that the wear out quicker than other shoes.

just ran in the under armour spectre.

what the hell was i thinking? heels are sore, shins hurt.. ugh. the foot sleeve is a major, major irritant.

Flint, if you like the Nike Zoom Elites, check out your Ross stores. Ours here in D/FW got MANY sizes in at $40. Just picked up an 11 yesterday.

a guy i work with (ray) introduced me to a guy he runs with name john. john owns a running shop that sells these newtons and he raves about the newton shoesall the time talking about how they make you run at a quicker pace, and how his joints are taking alot less shock in them and just on and on.

well ray got a pair for a very good price on a pair from john and had alot of good things to say about the newtons as well. he said they were very weird atfirst and were best worn without socks, but that the cushioning was amazing once the transition was made from heel striking to midfoot striking. he said thathe also noticed he maintained a faster pace and a reduced load on the joints, specifically the knee.

its not a direct review, but two guys i know run in the newtons and consider them worth every penny and spoke very highly of these shoes.

Originally Posted by duke4005

Flint, if you like the Nike Zoom Elites, check out your Ross stores. Ours here in D/FW got MANY sizes in at $40. Just picked up an 11 yesterday.

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately there is no Ross by me here in Chicago that I know of. Maybe I'll try the burbs when Im out there this weekend. Ihave seen Structure Triaxs at Nordstroms Rack for $50 but I can never find my size in them.

Tunzo, appreciate the 850 advice. I'm getting fitted later today, I'll let you all know what I snagged.

OK - I got fitted at Fleet Feet and walked away with these...

rhv4b4.jpg

11i066a.jpg

After the salesperson watched my gait, we found out I didn't need a high stability shoe. He said I could wear a low end stability shoe or even a neutralshoe with an insert for stability. The 850 is a serious stability shoe. The 1224 felt fantastic but I figure I'd wait for the 1225 to drop to spend $140.The twisty laces are trippy!

I'm running in the morning - I'll let u guys know how they feel.

lol... When I got fitted at some small-scale running store, they gave me the 1224s. Hard as a BRICK!
Second shoe was the NB 882 which is for flat footed, wide footed feet, but I have a normal arch, so I later added these inserts.
Didn't like that so I bought the Nimbus 10, which is what I'm running in now, but it doesn't have the best forefoot cushioning, only for heelstrikers, so I'm planning on getting the Vomeros when I can.
I did run in the Air Max Moto 5s, which had zoom air and max air.
pimp.gif
shoe.

I also seem to wear down the side foam in the inner heel area. Really strange.

how good is brooks adrenaline gts 9?how stable and cushioned?
my podiatrist recommended me those shoes plus orthotics. i have tried the other shoes he recommended asics 2140 and mizuno wave rider but the cushioning wasjust not working for me. im a 170, so i need a vomero like cushioning, and a very stable shoes. thanks

Originally Posted by bolok

how good is brooks adrenaline gts 9?how stable and cushioned?
my podiatrist recommended me those shoes plus orthotics. i have tried the other shoes he recommended asics 2140 and mizuno wave rider but the cushioning was just not working for me. im a 170, so i need a vomero like cushioning, and a very stable shoes. thanks
Well the Vomero is really soft, and a stable shoe is supposed to be firm, so that's a bit of an oxy moron.

Try the Kayanos. Supposedly they have good cushioning and are support shoes.

the wave rider are neutral shoes. i'm guessing you're an overpronator seeing how you need a stable shoe. if you run in neutral shoes, the cushioningwill die a lot faster. 2140's, kayanos would be my recommendations .. or even the nike structure triax.

i don't mind the cushioning in the NB1224 either.

yes im an overpronator; however, my shoe wear pattern are on the outside like a supinator. i have not yet discussed this to my podiatrist so let's see.

the reason why i said i need cushioning like vomero was because it is the softest shoe today and im 18lbs over my weight so i just figured i need reliablecushioning to start running again.

my shoes like nike victory,zoom moire,mayfly,etc. dont compliment my custom orthotic due to the fact that they are unstable and would disable my orthoticsfunction. as a result, i have to give them up, and im now in search of a new running/everyday shoe.

im haven't yet to try the brooks adrenaline,because the local running store in my area won't get them until the end of june.

btw there is something i need to ask; is there such thing as too much stability?for instance, i wear my custom orthotics to prevent my overpronation withmotion control shoes like brooks beast?is that too much support and stability?

im haven't yet to try the brooks adrenaline,because the local running store in my area won't get them until the end of june.

btw there is something i need to ask; is there such thing as too much stability?for instance, i wear my custom orthotics to prevent my overpronation with motion control shoes like brooks beast?is that too much support and stability?
Yes, there is such thing as too much stability. If a shoe is too stable it will not allow for the body's natural rate of pronation (everybodyhas some roll in their stride), it's just too much or too little that can cause some problems. In all actuality, the custom orthodic should do most of thepronation control for you. The cause for overpronation is the collapsing and degree of flexibility in the arc, if it can be suported internally than thatshould fix a majority of the problems. Humans foot has evolved for 3 dimensional support because we have been walking on uneven surfaces for a majority of ourexistence. Just over the couple of decades we have tried to begin running primarily on flat surfaces, which the foot is not accustom to. An orthodic adds thethe three dimensional support, for the entire footbed. An example of a foot that has evolved for a flat surface is an elephant foot.

elephant-foot-thumb513357.jpg

As far as shoes go, if you didn't like the 1224, then you won't like the Adrenaline. The shoe is very firm and no where near to the feel of theNike's that you listed. If you are in to a more cushioned stability shoe I recommend trying the Mizuno Wave Nirvana 5 or the adidas adiSTAR Salvation. Alot softer feel to the shoe, than the 1224 or Adrenaline.

Originally Posted by TunzoPhun

I run in stability shoes as well and wear the Nike Air Zoom Elite 2, Nike Air Structure Triax 11s and Nike Equalon 2s. I need to trash all three pairs, as I ran in two half marathons and a full marathon in them.

I am actually going to try out New Balance for a change. I'm actually going to a Fleet Feet this week to try out the 850. I'll keep you posted.
The 850 is a very stable shoe, and runs very wide (especially compared to the Zoom Elite), the 850 is built on the old SL-1 last so it is much wider and there it not much shape to it. I do like the 850 as an update to the 859, the introduction of NB's new Stabilicore medial posting has decreased the weight quite a bit.

Something that might be good for you is the new 1225, which is coming out in the next few months. It is built on New Balances PL-1 last which has a little bit more of an arch and shape in the toe box. Another option is the 769, which is also built on the new PL-1 last, and has about the same stability as the Zoom Elite. Another shoe that might work well for you is then new Saucony Hurricane 11, the update improved on the fit of the shoe and is a lot more comfortable. It all depends on the shape of your foot though.
For all you stability guys, don't sleep on the AdiStar Control!
The adiSTAR Control has been updated to the adiSTAR Salvation, which I agree, is a very good shoe. The Formotion technology in the heel is a great for any over pronator that has a heavy outside heelstrike. Adidas running has definitely taken a step in the right direction with their newest round of running shoes.

Just bought a pair of the Adistar Salvations and I love them. Had a pair of the Zoom Structure Triax 11 before that and a pair of Asics (cant remember themodel) I overpronate and as much as I love Nike, I don't think any of their so called stability running shoes stack up to the stability shoes other brandsoffer. While the cushioning of the Salvations is much more firm than the Triax's, that formotion tech is awesome and the shoe just seems a lot morecomfortable and it definitely helps that they are a little wider than my Nikes.

btw there is something i need to ask; is there such thing as too much stability?for instance, i wear my custom orthotics to prevent my overpronation with motion control shoes like brooks beast?is that too much support and stability?
Yes, there is such thing as too much stability. If a shoe is too stable it will not allow for the body's natural rate of pronation (everybody has some roll in their stride), it's just too much or too little that can cause some problems. In all actuality, the custom orthodic should do most of the pronation control for you. The cause for overpronation is the collapsing and degree of flexibility in the arc, if it can be suported internally than that should fix a majority of the problems. Humans foot has evolved for 3 dimensional support because we have been walking on uneven surfaces for a majority of our existence. Just over the couple of decades we have tried to begin running primarily on flat surfaces, which the foot is not accustom to. An orthodic adds the the three dimensional support, for the entire footbed. An example of a foot that has evolved for a flat surface is an elephant foot.

As far as shoes go, if you didn't like the 1224, then you won't like the Adrenaline. The shoe is very firm and no where near to the feel of the Nike's that you listed. If you are in to a more cushioned stability shoe I recommend trying the Mizuno Wave Nirvana 5 or the adidas adiSTAR Salvation. A lot softer feel to the shoe, than the 1224 or Adrenaline.

thank tunzophun!
but what do you think about orthotics+motion control shoes?the reason i ask is i noticed my other neutral shoes make my feet fall off in tge middle part of theshoes even i have my orthotics on. is it because they dont have support in the arch on the bottom?would the motion control shoes correct this?because they arestraight last and give a better base of support to the orthotic and the foot.

Yes, there is such thing as too much stability. If a shoe is too stable it will not allow for the body's natural rate of pronation (everybody has some roll in their stride), it's just too much or too little that can cause some problems. In all actuality, the custom orthodic should do most of the pronation control for you. The cause for overpronation is the collapsing and degree of flexibility in the arc, if it can be suported internally than that should fix a majority of the problems. Humans foot has evolved for 3 dimensional support because we have been walking on uneven surfaces for a majority of our existence. Just over the couple of decades we have tried to begin running primarily on flat surfaces, which the foot is not accustom to. An orthodic adds the the three dimensional support, for the entire footbed. An example of a foot that has evolved for a flat surface is an elephant foot.

As far as shoes go, if you didn't like the 1224, then you won't like the Adrenaline. The shoe is very firm and no where near to the feel of the Nike's that you listed. If you are in to a more cushioned stability shoe I recommend trying the Mizuno Wave Nirvana 5 or the adidas adiSTAR Salvation. A lot softer feel to the shoe, than the 1224 or Adrenaline.

thank tunzophun!
i noticed my other neutral shoes make my feet fall off in the middle part of the shoes even i have my orthotics on. is it because they dont have support in the arch on the bottom?would the motion control shoes correct this?because they are straight last and give a better base of support to the orthotic and the foot.

for instance :
this shoe does not have anything going on the bottom arch, that is when my feet fall even i have my orthotics.
NZSKYBK-5.jpg

compare to this. do you think this would give me more even surface to accomodate my orthotics?

BBMS08-5.jpg

I have recently started running a few miles at a time 2 or 3x a week,I used to just use the eliptical to get my cardio in, but ive gotten into running now,
I currently use air max 360 I, but I get some arch pain in one of my feet when im done, kind of like some plantar fascitis type pain, is that because thecushioning is too soft?

how are the full length adidas bounce running shoes, I dont know much about running shoes but I could use a new pair to use, any recomendations would help, im5'9 188 lbs( very into lifting, no fat), im not sure what type of runner id be classified as...thx

Are the Skylons a shoe for overpronators? I was looking into them but I have found in some places people are saying say they are a stability shoe and some sayit is more of a neutral shoe. Havent seen them in any stores around here so I haven't been able to try them on yet.

The Skylons are very neutral shoes. Very flexible + no medial posting = no stability. The shoes are very soft, and run narrow and small.

bolok, as for you, a shoe you might look in to is the Brooks Dyad 5. It is build on Brooks' Linear Last (much like the Beast or Addiction), so it canaccommodate orthotics, but it is un-posted (no stability). The shape of the shoe will work will with the orthotics to control any pronation problems.

shoe_BrooksDyad5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom