Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread . First (preseason) game in 2 days! Season Thread is up!

The Raptors were more of a soccer team last year. Bosh is pretty, and maybe thats his problem. He's too pretty. He needs a partner who's been in theleague and get these guys playing ball with confidence. I live in Toronto and refuse to watch these guys play anymore... there i said it

I'm actually excited about Derozan. It doesn't matter if he's not happy about being selected by Toronto, he's going to be tied up with us foryears to come unless he gets traded (3 yr rookie contract + restricted free agency afterwards).

We got our SG, BC will now need to spend the $10 mill in cap room on a starting SF. I dont think that Derozan will be a starter to begin the season so BC willhave to get a veteran SG as well (maybe spend the mid-level exception on a starting guard).

On an un-related note, Vince Carter is probably the happiest man on earth today. Gets traded to his hometown team and for the first time in his careerhe'll get to compete for an NBA title. If the Magic resign Hedo they'll have the best starting line-up in the L
eek.gif

I like the DeRozan pick. I think he will fit in well. Its more or less the fact of keeping him in Toronto; the post draft interview didnt seem like he was tooimpressed.

With the Magic trade, BC better be getting on the horn with Hedo's agent. If we can get Hedo, were right back in the thick of things. Think of Jose +DeRozan + Hedo + Bosh + Andrea. Thats not a bad lineup at all. Not much of a three point threat like years before, but that team would work VERY well.

Please, please, please get Hedo. Dude will want out now with VC there; and my honest opinion is that the Magic are going to have a downhill slide, as we knowthat VC has his very strong commitment to winning, and putting in his illustrious amounts of extra work in the offseason... ok enough sarcasm.

Not a bad night at all. Lets just hope DeRozan doesnt fill out to stay a few years, and then jet to another american team.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

I like the DeRozan pick. I think he will fit in well. Its more or less the fact of keeping him in Toronto; the post draft interview didnt seem like he was too impressed.

With the Magic trade, BC better be getting on the horn with Hedo's agent. If we can get Hedo, were right back in the thick of things. Think of Jose + DeRozan + Hedo + Bosh + Andrea. Thats not a bad lineup at all. Not much of a three point threat like years before, but that team would work VERY well.

Please, please, please get Hedo. Dude will want out now with VC there; and my honest opinion is that the Magic are going to have a downhill slide, as we know that VC has his very strong commitment to winning, and putting in his illustrious amounts of extra work in the offseason... ok enough sarcasm.

Not a bad night at all. Lets just hope DeRozan doesnt fill out to stay a few years, and then jet to another american team.
Dude, there's something called a "Salary Cap" in the NBA. Hedo is gonna make some serious coin...I'm guessing 5 yrs/$70+million. The Raps dont have the cap room to get him.

Originally Posted by avitale8

if someone gives Turk 5/70 deal...
laugh.gif
that's straight ridiculous
There are far worse contracts out there. As a comparison, Vince got a 4 yr/$60 mill contract at the age of 30-31and his stats are similar toHedo's. I know the economy is bad but someone is gonna pay him well.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

laugh.gif
There are far worse contracts out there. As a comparison, Vince got a 4 yr/$60 mill contract at the age of 30-31and his stats are similar to Hedo's. I know the economy is bad but someone is gonna pay him well.

their numbers are not similar, over their careers or over hedo's recent stretch.

this season vc had the worst statistical season of his career since his rookie year and his numbers were still better across the board than hedo's bestyear. \\

a commodity like vc is very different from a borderline maybe all star like hedo.

i like hidayet's game but any team paying him like a legit superstar is getting duped.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

laugh.gif
There are far worse contracts out there. As a comparison, Vince got a 4 yr/$60 mill contract at the age of 30-31and his stats are similar to Hedo's. I know the economy is bad but someone is gonna pay him well.

their numbers are not similar, over their careers or over hedo's recent stretch.

this season vc had the worst statistical season of his career since his rookie year and his numbers were still better across the board than hedo's best year.
Over Hedo's recent stretch (last 2 seasons) their #'s have been VERY similar.

Check it out...

Vince...

36+ mpg, 44-45 FG%, 39% from 3, 82% from the FT line, 5 rpg, 5 apg, 20+ ppg

Hedo...

36+ mpg, 42% FG, 39% from 3, 80+% from the FT line, 5 rpg, 5 apg, 17-20 ppg

Obviously Vince is the better scorer but he's been the #1 scoring option on his teams every single season. Hedo was putting up 17 ppg this season despitebeing arguably the 4th scoring option on the team (Jameer is debatable). Lets say that Hedo was the #3 scoring option...17 ppg is still very impressive.He'll easily average 20 ppg on a team where he's given more opportunities to shoot.

BTW, this isn't a VC vs. Hedo debate. VC has had the better career and may some day be a HOFer. I'm just saying that VC got a 4 yr/$60 mill deal aftera 20-5-5 season as a 30 year old. Hedo will get a similar deal.

^ pretty much reiterating what im saying.

vince in a down year is still putting up slightly better numbers than hedo at his very best.

and no i dont think hedo could be a legit #1 option on a sucessful team. vc has proven that he can be.

but the main point is that vince's contract was based on the fact that he is a proven commodity whereas hedo is simply on an upswing.

again anyone paying him like it's anything more is getting duped.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

short term is the way to approach hidayet.

he's already 30.

that's not likely what he's looking for though.

The thing about Turk's game is that it's not reliant on athleticism and speed, so he should age well. So unless he loses his shooting, ball-handlingand craftiness, he should be fine.

As for his contract, I think 5 years/$55M is the most he should get. Outside of the Magic, only the Pistons, Blazers, Grizzlies and I think Thunder can givehim that much.

After watching the press conference I have officially been talked into Demar Derozan.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The highlights from the interviews for me....

-Dude gushes about the city every time he is asked, like any other clear headed human being you can't go to Toronto and not be enthralled and impressed.

-His commitment to playing defense and really wanting to be a defensive perimeter stopper as well as an offensive superstar in the league.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-His apparent eagerness to get to work and start playing.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Reporter: "Have you ever played against anyone who as good an athlete or better than you?"
Demar Derozan: "No.
indifferent.gif
"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Be still my beating heart, but I'm sippin the kool aid hard. (nh)
laugh.gif

i wouldn't mind if BC resigned parker to come off the bench. he'd add shooting depth and veteran poise to the bench. plus i don't think he commandstoo high a salary anyway.

there is NO way toronto is gonna get hedo up here. i just don't see it.

derozan is gonna get people up on their feet once or twice a game. i think triano and his assisstants will do a fine job in developing derozan. as jay alreadystated in yesterday's interview theres a good chance demar will get a lot of minutes right away. to me thats fine, longer he plays out there with the bestin the world the sooner he'll get comfortable and let his skills take over. we have to expect a few boneheaded plays from him here and there but its partof the maturing curve for any speedy athletic guard in the league.

on to marion.

i dont know how i feel about possibly resigning him.

he commands a high price for a statline that will like be similar to 12, and 7.

once he comes to his senses that teams aren't gonna pay that much for him, i'd love to see him back next season

I wouldn't mind if we brought Marion back or if we gave Hedo $10 mill/yr.

Marion does other things well such as rebound and defend.

Getting Artest would be great if it was possible.

So it looks like the $10 mill will be spent on a starting SF, maybe the MLE will be spent on a veteran SG and maybe 1-2 more small signings.

derozan's first raptor rookie blog

June 26, 2009

What's up Raptors fans? It's me, DeMar DeRozan, bringing you the first installment of my Rookie Blog for raptors.com. I'll be dropping in from time to time to let you in on how things are going with me and my first season as a pro ball player in Toronto!

It feels great to have found an NBA home in Toronto. I felt like I had the world on my shoulders the past couple of months with so much pressure and so much going on.

When draft night comes and you finally know where you're going, you finally can focus and really get prepared on the situation you're heading into.

I remember everything about draft night before I got picked. Every little detail. Between each team picking and waiting every five minutes… it seemed like the slowest five minutes ever.

I was sitting there, talking with my family as the draft went on, which calmed me down a little bit. I was just happy that they were sitting there with me waiting to experience a moment that I'll never forget.

And then, when the Raptors pick came around at number nine, I heard David Stern say my name and went up to shake his hand.

From there, it was all a blur.

It was a LOT of interviews, followed by a call from Bryan Colangelo. He told me that they were happy to have me and that he couldn't wait to get me in and get to work.

Things were busy after I was picked, but I definitely paid attention to the rest of the draft to see where friends I played against and with were going to land.

I was real happy to see my USC teammate Taj Gibson go to Chicago. That was real big for me and that's great for him.

It's going to be a change from Southern California to Toronto, I'll miss that weather sometimes. But I want to learn everything about this city. I want to know Toronto as well as I know L.A.

I want to thank all the fans that have shown me support during the process of getting here. I can't wait to get out on the floor and bring the excitement back to you. I feel like I've got to give that back to you, because you're supporting me.

After the past few weeks I've had, my plan for tomorrow is to sleep all day. After that, it's time to get prepared for everything coming up. I've got Summer League next and I can't wait to get back out there on the court and start playing in front of everybody!

I'll be back again to talk about my summer, but until then, you can follow me on twitter!

- DeMar

Back
Top Bottom