Official White Privilege Thread

:smokin

Australian cricket player Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit in head with ball

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...-player-phillip-hughes-dies-article-1.2025761

Australian cricket player Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit in head with ball
Messages of support poured in from all around the world since Hughes collapsed after being hit behind the left ear after mis-timing a shot to a short-pitch delivery while batting for South Australia against New South Wales in a Sheffield Shield match on Tuesday.
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Thursday, November 27, 2014, 12:36 AM A A A
SHARE THIS URL

Austalian cricket player Phillip Hughes dies at the age of 25 after being hit in the head with a ball.
MIKE HUTCHINGS/REUTERS
Austalian cricket player Phillip Hughes dies at the age of 25 after being hit in the head with a ball.
SYDNEY (AP) — Test batsman Phillip Hughes died in a Sydney hospital on Thursday, two days after being struck in the head by a cricket ball during a domestic first-class match. He was 25.

“It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away,” Australian team doctor Peter Brukner said in a statement. “He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday.”

Brukner said Hughes was not in pain before he died, and was surrounded by family and close friends. “

As a cricket community we mourn his loss and extend our deepest sympathies to Phillip’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time,” Brukner said.

Messages of support poured in from all around the world since Hughes collapsed after being hit behind the left ear after mis-timing a shot to a short-pitch delivery while batting for South Australia against New South Wales in a Sheffield Shield match on Tuesday.

He underwent emergency surgery at nearby St. Vincent’s Hospital and remained in a critical condition in an induced coma.

Australia captain Michael Clarke was among the dozens of teammates, former teammates and cricket officials who visited hospital in the following days.

Deaths are rare in cricket, although Hughes is the second player in two years to sustain a fatal blow.

Darryn Randall, who was 32 and a former first-class player in South Africa, was killed after being struck on the side of the head during a Border Cricket Board Premier League match in the Eastern Cape last year.

Images of Hughes collapsing face first at the Sydney Cricket Ground were broadcast almost instantly across Australia on Tuesday, when satellite TV trucks and dozens of news crews started reporting regular updates on his condition from outside the hospital.

Hughes played 26 test matches for Australia after making his debut 2009, but was not able to earn a regular spot in the starting lineup.

The injury sparked debate about short-pitch bowling in the game, the level of protection offered by helmets that first came into common use at the test level in the late 1970s, and the seemingly slow reaction time of the ambulance service as Hughes was treated on the field.

Bouncers, where a fast bowler aims to push the batsman back toward the stumps with a ball that lands halfway down the pitch and rears up above chest or head height, are still a regular and acceptable part of the game.

The International Cricket Council revised its laws on short-pitch bowling in the early 1990s, putting restrictions on the number of short-pitch balls allowed per over to stamp out bowlers merely using the delivery to intimidate batsmen.

RELATED STORIES
Cricket player Phil Hughes is placed onto a stretcher after he was hit in the head by a ball.
Australian cricket player Phil Hughes in critical condition

White Australian Cricket player is killed. The NEW YORK DAILY NEWS covers the story. There are black NFL players dying EVERY DAY but the media NEVER covers it. But when a WHITE MAN in a foreign country, in a sport not a single American cares about, dies IT'S NATIONAL NEWS

Last edited:
I know it will get locked because in order for white privilege to succeed, those that benefit from it need to know it exists...

Fit educational purposes...

I think we should address all privileges, though... Not just eye privilege in America...

Here's how privilege was taught in a high school

http://www.boredpanda.com/lesson-about-privilege-awareness/

Basically, he gave everyone a piece of paper and told them to shoot it in the basket at the front of the classrrom...

Everyone had a chance to hit it... But of course the students in the front row had a much better chance of hitting it.

The students in the back complained, and the students in the front didn't...

The students in the front had a much larger room for error... And still be successful...

While the students in the back had to have more things go right for them... Just to make it to the same basket that the people in the front did...

And here's an example of it

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26215269/police-shoot-armed-man-at-de-anza-cove

People always talk about how these young people just lift their shirts or react to quickly...

Here's a man that's walking around, pointing and SHOOTING his gun.

And was taken down with care.

I know it will get locked because in order for white privilege to succeed, those that benefit from it need to know it exists...

I think we should address all privileges, though... Not just eye privilege in America...

Basically, he gave everyone a piece of paper and told them to shoot it in the basket at the front of the classrrom...

Everyone had a chance to hit it... But of course the students in the front row had a much better chance of hitting it.

The students in the front had a much larger room for error... And still be successful...

While the students in the back had to have more things go right for them... Just to make it to the same basket that the people in the front did...
i saw this too, dope lesson to teach the class

People always talk about how these young people just lift their shirts or react to quickly...

This should be taught in all schools.

Susan Copich, actress and a mother of two from New York, has taken a darkly humorous approach towards traditional family

photography with a series of daring images entitled “Domestic Bliss.”

Copich spent years taking pictures of her family, but when she reached her mid-forties, she realized that she was missing 

from almost every photo. That’s when she decided to take things into her own hands, creating photos that would reflect all of 

her feelings – even the ambiguous or negative ones.

If you’ve met me, I have a very seemingly sunny disposition, but I have a whole interior world where at different times I’ve felt

depression and angst. For many years, I put it in a little ball, and I decided to just explore it this time. It’s been so fun to bring

those feelings out and give them light,” she says. Each image has what Susan calls a ‘twist of darkness’ that challenges the

ordinary perception of family happiness.
domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-122__880.jpg

domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-31__880.jpg

domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-71__880.jpg

domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-12__880.jpg

domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-91__880.jpg

domestic-bliss-family-photography-susan-colpich-51__880.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get the pictures of the white mom....can anyone elaborate?

I simply take it as a representation that while many white parents are there to support monetarily, it doesn't quite mean that they are doing a good parenting job or are "there" for the children as much as the media makes it out to be. This being used as a sign of white privilege, due to the notion that the media constantly portrays of black families being dysfunctional & non Loving.

Hence the case of the black woman fighting jail time for, leaving her children in the car for an hour while going on a job interview (The entire family was homeless at that point).

Also here's another video of a "suicidal" (Notice whenever a white suspect is doing something with guns in public they are usually given the role of victim, had this been someone black it would have went from "suicidal" to menacing or aggressive) Man pointing a gun in a park filled with childen, yet he catches one focused and on point bullet after minutes of waving the REAL gun around.

Now compare this to the video of Tamir Rice, A CHILD with a FAKE GUN who was gunned down immediately.

Last edited:
[h1]17 Deplorable Examples Of White Privilege[/h1]
And this isn’t even the tip of the iceberg.
1.  Because of white privilege, you’ll never have to worry about becoming the victim of law enforcement officers.

enhanced-buzz-733-1382908294-27.jpg

Think about Jonathan FerrellAmadou Diallo, even Oscar Grant. It isn’t a coincidence that hundreds of incidents like these have been happening for years.

[h2]2.  Thankfully, you’ll never have to know what it feels like to see your teenage son’s death being mocked.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-5399-1382908465-33.jpg

Via newsone.com

Yes, that is someone dressed as Trayvon Martin. Yes, you’re looking at someone in blackface. In 2013.

3.  Because of white privilege, you’ll never have to inform your children of the harsh realities of systemic racism.

enhanced-buzz-7100-1382909264-27.jpg

Via quickmeme.com

[h2]4.  White privilege means you can be articulate and well spoken without people being “surprised.”[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-7550-1382913832-0.jpg

Via memegenerator.net

[h2]5.  Because of white privilege, you’ll never know what it’s like to have the following statistic looming over your head.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-1752-1382908897-24.jpg

According to this report ,  one-third of black men will go to prison at least once in their lifetime.

[h2]6.  You can wear and act however you’d like without being labeled a thug, low life, gangster, etc.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-24056-1382910596-0.jpg

Via bradleycowan.com

Everyone wants to “act black,” but no one truly wants to be black.

[h2]7.  White privilege allows you to speak on any particular subject without being the sole representative for your entire race.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-7485-1382917486-16.jpg

Via wordpress.com

White privilege allows you to believe that all people of color think alike and share similar views.

[h2]8.  White privilege means no one questions why you got that really great job; it’s assumed you were just highly qualified.[/h2]
anigif_enhanced-buzz-17806-1382912555-9.gif

Via irresistible-revolution.tumblr.com

Also, it means that you got into that prestigious university based on merit, not because a certain quota had to be filled.

[h2]9.  White privilege means not having to worry about your hair, skin color, or cultural accessories as the reason you didn’t get a job.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-17808-1382919326-3.jpg

Via apris1992.tumblr.com

People of color must assimilate every.single.day. It’s hard to break free of the ways of the dominant hegemony and forge your own path.

[h2]10.  White privilege means you don’t have to worry about being monitored in a store just because the hue of your skin is a bit darker than most.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-24490-1382913426-6.jpg

Via memegeneokerlund.com

People of color are seen as leery and untrustworthy.

[h2]11.  Having white privilege means people will never label you a terrorist.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-15825-1382917763-19.jpg

Via 13afttfvu3322ik7030bcfxmkf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com

[h2]12.  White privilege means not being affected by negative stereotypes that have been perpetuated and ingrained so much into American society that people believe them to be fact.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-17683-1382915880-18.jpg

Via 09bcdseng10.wikispaces.com

Black men are angry, primitive beasts with insatiable sexual appetites.

[h2]13.  White privilege means you never have to explain why cultural appropriation is a bad thing.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-17185-1382916318-22.jpg

Via cdn.memegenerator.net

[h2]14.  White privilege means not having to worry about being stopped and frisked.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-6965-1382916577-6.jpg

Via nyclatinopolitics.com

[h2]15.  If you benefit from white privilege, you’ll never be told to “get over slavery.”[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-16500-1382916890-25.jpg

Via diegueno.tumblr.com

Ironic, isn’t it?

[h2]16.  White privilege means that you’re never just your own person.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-5809-1382916731-4.jpg

Via bet.com

For example, Nicki Minaj is often referred to as the “black Lady Gaga.” I guess black people can’t be quirky or eccentric.

[h2]17.  Benefitting from white privilege means you can walk the Earth unaware of your color.[/h2]
enhanced-buzz-17683-1382917260-20.jpg

Via blogger.com

People of color don’t have such a luxury.
I had a teacher explain privilege to us once and I thought she did a really good job at it. She had us all stand at the back of the classroom. We'd take a step forward, then another. Some people made it all the way to the front of the classroom, but other people had road blocks pushed in front of them the entire way. You'd make it to a certain point on level ground, but that only lasted two steps forward at the most. Her point was that it is not as easy for everyone as it is for you, and assuming that is very dangerous. This isn't about putting anyone down, it is about knowing that for some, the system works, and for others it doesn't. It was a simple exercise that deeply impacted my world view.

This was also a class where she explained that even tests to get into Kindergarten are scaled to benefit white children. Simple questions like, "Would you pick up a twenty dollar bill and return it?" have vastly different answers depending upon your socio-economic status and color of your skin. White kids, in droves, answer yes-- of course we would pick up the money and return it. But many other kids would say no, because then it would look like they were stealing. 

Knowing you have privilege does not make you a bad person, it just makes it easier to be more understanding to others and to also work toward changing the status quo.

I simply take it as a representation that while many white parents are there to support monetarily, it doesn't quite mean that they are doing a good parenting job or are "there" for the children as much as the media makes it out to be. This being used as a sign of white privilege, due to the notion that the media constantly portrays of black families being dysfunctional & non Loving.

Hence the case of the black woman fighting jail time for, leaving her children in the car for an hour while going on a job interview (The entire family was homeless at that point).
what.... how does that compare to a mom doing an art piece trying to show the difficulty of certain situations she encounters while raising a family.

The fact she includes her kids in the art piece, has time to focus on conceptualizing and shooting the art piece shows how well she is actually handling motherhood.

You shot yourself in the foot with this one.... she's posing for photography with her family for artistic expression... the other lady was a step away from homelessness and had to sacrifice just to make it to a simple job interview....

This thread is highly counterproductive... just a circle jerk for black people who feel slighted.... 

A thread by feminists called "male privilege" would be a direct parallel...

I don't have any kinds of articles but I know there was an article of someone who was applying to jobs with his real name "Jose" and "Joe". "Joe" got more calls back than Jose. Does anyone have this particular article? If so, can you post it?

I do have an example of white privilege that has happened to me though since I am Chinese.

I live in a pre-dominantly large Irish neighborhood. My neighbor is from Ireland so he has the accent and all. Here's the thing: he hates the Irish yanks becuase they are so fake in being Irish but let me tell you this story.

There is an insurance company right down the street from where I live so aptly named "William J. Sullivan" insurance. i remember going down there one day looking to see if we could negotiate our rates our lower it because we had been with that company for 10+ years. My neighbor hasn't been in the country for that long but his wife is an American and they have two cars. I, on the other hand have me, mom and dad so I'm thinking that our rates would be a little bit higher but I haven't been in an accident and my mom just doesn't drive at all so she hasn't had an accident for about 15 years now so it should be significantly low and my dad is a pretty good driver as well.

I went to the insurance agency by myself to ask how much all 3 people would be and it was about the same that we had been paying for the past 3 years. I didn't get mad or anything. I just walked out and said I will think about this. I talked to my neighbor because he's usually in the back drinking beers and I will have a few with him and I told him the outrageous rates I was getting for the three of us. He told me that him and his wife with their two cars were about $700 lower than the three of us. OK, maybe it's because there's an extra person and that's the reason why our car insurance is more. I thought to myself that since he's Irish and the insurance company is Irish, they gave him a great deal.

The next day, I go back and I specifically ask for a quote for my mother and I. Remember, my mother doesn't drive and her driving record is squeaky clean. I haven't had any infractions (knock on wood) for a very long time as well so I ask for a quote for just the two of us. What do you know? Our quote is about $500 more than my neighbors and his wife. Once I heard this outrageous rate, I told them to cancel our plan with them.

I don't know what my NT'ers might think about this but this is something that happens on a daily basis as someone who is not white. There are a lot of dive bars that I can't go to because I know once I walk into said bar, there's going to be a spotlight on me and all eyes will be on me because I am not white. They will also be wondering what the hell is this non-white kid doing here? They might not say it to my face but as someone who is a minority, you can feel the tension. I hope that you people understand where I am trying to go with this.

Last edited:
I don't get the pictures of the white mom....can anyone elaborate?

I believe it's just meant to exhibit the dichotomy between how a mother feels inside and what they present outwardly.

To the world, she looks happy (last photo), but she cries over spilled milk, wants to kill the dog etc. (all the other photos).

the thing about not looking like you're stealing reminds me of when I was at CVS the other day. I was seeing if there was any aveeno hand lotion while keeping my ashy hands in my pockets as an employee restocked other items in the aisle. When i saw they didn't carry it and was about to leave, the thought crossed my mind that my leaving without any purchase the way i am might make it look like i just stole something. I'm not black btw, but still a person of color.

How old are you? Age plays a role in your insurance quote especially if you're young and single
I don't have any kinds of articles but I know there was an article of someone who was applying to jobs with his real name "Jose" and "Joe". "Joe" got more calls back than Jose. Does anyone have this particular article? If so, can you post it?

I do have an example of white privilege that has happened to me though since I am Chinese.

I live in a pre-dominantly large Irish neighborhood. My neighbor is from Ireland so he has the accent and all. Here's the thing: he hates the Irish yanks becuase they are so fake in being Irish but let me tell you this story.

There is an insurance company right down the street from where I live so aptly named "William J. Sullivan" insurance. i remember going down there one day looking to see if we could negotiate our rates our lower it because we had been with that company for 10+ years. My neighbor hasn't been in the country for that long but his wife is an American and they have two cars. I, on the other hand have me, mom and dad so I'm thinking that our rates would be a little bit higher but I haven't been in an accident and my mom just doesn't drive at all so she hasn't had an accident for about 15 years now so it should be significantly low and my dad is a pretty good driver as well.

I went to the insurance agency by myself to ask how much all 3 people would be and it was about the same that we had been paying for the past 3 years. I didn't get mad or anything. I just walked out and said I will think about this. I talked to my neighbor because he's usually in the back drinking beers and I will have a few with him and I told him the outrageous rates I was getting for the three of us. He told me that him and his wife with their two cars were about $700 lower than the three of us. OK, maybe it's because there's an extra person and that's the reason why our car insurance is more. I thought to myself that since he's Irish and the insurance company is Irish, they gave him a great deal.

The next day, I go back and I specifically ask for a quote for my mother and I. Remember, my mother doesn't drive and her driving record is squeaky clean. I haven't had any infractions (knock on wood) for a very long time as well so I ask for a quote for just the two of us. What do you know? Our quote is about $500 more than my neighbors and his wife. Once I heard this outrageous rate, I told them to cancel our plan with them.

I don't know what my NT'ers might think about this but this is something that happens on a daily basis as someone who is not white. There are a lot of dive bars that I can't go to because I know once I walk into said bar, there's going to be a spotlight on me and all eyes will be on me because I am not white. They will also be wondering what the hell is this non-white kid doing here? They might not say it to my face but as someone who is a minority, you can feel the tension. I hope that you people understand where I am trying to go with this.

To add to this thread. I've been pulled over by cops at checkpoints on two occasions. Both times they let the white drivers ahead of me go without any questions. They told me to pull over and asked me where I was going. I wasnt hearing none of that. I told them unless you're gonna ask me for license and registration don't ask me any questions.

These mofos can't stand to see a black man driving a better car than them. They feel like a failure cuz all their lives they've been told they're better than black people and black people are "supposed to be poor"

I don't even tint my windows anymore cuz I know they'll pull me over. Meanwhile the area I live in is predominantly white and most of them have dark tinted windows and they get away with it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom