OFFICIAL Ye fka "kanYe West" x G.O.O.D. Music Thread - ¥$ (AKA YE X TY DOLLA SIGN) - VULTURES 2 (NOW AVAILABLE sorta)

BE Warned!! Dude is clearly a Kanye Stan and went wild with most of this one......... but there's a section starting at about 9:30 of this video where he makes a valid point that relates not just to Kanye but A lot of the artist who put so much thought and ideas into their music/show/videos.

He basically says that racism & classism play a big role as to why Kanye isn't viewed in a sense of a true artist, it's a big reason why we've seen such backlash at every other move after music. Kanye himself has hinted towards it in interviews, but he summed it up well by creating the alternative "Weston Kenley" :rofl:

He essentially read off Kanye's biography and makes very slight tweaks to it, highlighting that if he were white or a black artist who went through the typical white institutions he would be renowned in the art world (specifically performance art). And honestly this isn't specific to racism because the hiphop community does it all the time. It's always somebody saying your trying to be to "artsy" or if someone tries to conceive that something goes beyond surface level it's always "Your reaching" as if hiphop artist have a ceiling, as if their thought process isn't intricate enough.

Like i said i think this can be said for a lot of artist BTW Kendrick, Lupe, WestSide Gunn, Tyler, A$AP t seems like the art is always this is good for a rapper.

other cultures allow for there artist to be viewed in Museums & honored for hundreds of years, while sometimes it feels like we make art that comes from hiphop disposable.

This is black artist in general. A couple year ago I was listening to this record by a white woman who completely ripped off Tinashe, and publications were calling it "pop", but they marginalize Tinashe's **** by naming her **** r&b. They did the same w/ Frank Ocean when he dropped Endless/Blond, ain't nothing r&b about Blond. If that record didn't have a face it would be psychedelic art pop ****.In what world is this **** r&b?

There's so many more examples, but I'm not tryna get tight rn. They pigeon hold the perception of black artist to a select handful of things to stunt our societal growth & dudes play right into.

I'm not sure how I feel about Blond's classification. Had a brief interaction with someone else on here when I disagreed with its classification. Homie stepped in and said its "Avant Pop...look it up". I never did.

I would not call Frank's music pop (I dont know what I'd call it). And if I did, it's only because most semi-backed black music is "popular" anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about Blond's classification. Had a brief interaction with someone else on here when I disagreed with its classification. Homie stepped in and said its "Avant Pop...look it up". I never did.

I would not call Frank's music pop (I dont know what I'd call it). And if I did, it's only because most semi-backed black music is "popular" anyway.
I would definitely classify Frank as R&B. Some tracks certainly have a pop appeal but the R&B elements are typically there. He's almost like a more progressive type of R&B and some of the newer artists are also going in that direction too.

I would definitely classify Frank as R&B. Some tracks certainly have a pop appeal but the R&B elements are typically there. He's almost like a more progressive type of R&B and some of the newer artists are also going in that direction too.
I tend to agree with you, but marikomorose marikomorose is definitely right as well in that frank has some tracks on blonde and post blond (and all of endless...didnt enjoy it...never listened to it more than once but mostly because it's a visual album and I ain't got time to watch my music) that would not be r&b imo.

I would say the majority of blond has r&b elements. And I'm about to spin it right now to confirm.

I tend to agree with you, but marikomorose marikomorose is definitely right as well in that frank has some tracks on blonde and post blond (and all of endless...didnt enjoy it...never listened to it more than once but mostly because it's a visual album and I ain't got time to watch my music) that would not be r&b imo.

I would say the majority of blond has r&b elements. And I'm about to spin it right now to confirm.
I respect your opinion for sure but Endless is a sleeper! I wait for the day that they put it on a streaming platform in audio form. I actually thought Endless was R&B infused more than people give it credit for. The At Your Best cover as well as the joint with Jasmine Sullivan in the background gave me heavy soul vibes.

Endless was infused w/ ambient, electronic pop, r&b, rap, synthpop, acoustic. Now his blonded radio singles were r&b moreso alt r&b. I would just consider Frank "alternative artist "or "alternative pop artist". Like his song structures & melodies aren't rnb, just soulful. Amy Winehouse was soulful, but music wasn't r&b.

Idk what I’d classify Frank as, def not pop tho

Nostalgia/ultra was classified as Blue Grass from the Odd Future download lol.

Also, I agree that Endless is slept on but it’s a beautiful album. The vinyl is A1.

Idk what I’d classify Frank as, def not pop tho

Nostalgia/ultra was classified as Blue Grass from the Odd Future download lol.
Finished Blond about 30 mins ago. No lie, I was finnna say that album is a folk album.

But you cant my mans in a box. **** yo box.

Finished Blond about 30 mins ago. No lie, I was finnna say that album is a folk album.

But you cant my mans in a box. **** yo box.

In my opinion, Frank is super dope when he raps also. When he dropped DHL/In My Room I thought we were going to get a rap album from Frank… almost two years later and still nothing 🥲 at this point I’ve accepted we may never get another album from the man again.

In my opinion, Frank is super dope when he raps also. When he dropped DHL/In My Room I thought we were going to get a rap album from Frank… almost two years later and still nothing 🥲 at this point I’ve accepted we may never get another album from the man again.
I’m hoping we do but given him losing his brother I don’t even trip about it anymore. He has gems and what’s out now is dope IMO.

One of my favorite verses from Frank is from Sunday on Earl’s Doris album. He got a dope voice and he skates when does that pseudo-melodic rap

I might be in the minority that doesn't want a rap album by Frank. His best form is floating on tracks...not super structured but just talking (singing) his stuff. Prime example is Futura Free- one of my favorites from him, it just feels free flowing and honest.

I might be in the minority that doesn't want a rap album by Frank. His best form is floating on tracks...not super structured but just talking (singing) his stuff. Prime example is Futura Free- one of my favorites from him, it just feels free flowing and honest.

He was pretty great on Purity with A$AP, and In My Room/DHL are definitely more rap leaning. I enjoyed those both a ton.

Was actually able to get 6 tickets and my other homie 6 tickets.

FOMO got best of us, we got decent seats but pretty upset we paid 140 a ticket after fees smh

This not even a real concert, it’s just him standing there playing album. We donkeys for that

I saw ye on the floor, mosh pit with Bron and them for like 140 as well, saw him for yeezus in Det for same price, lowerbowl

But we sheep and we going lol! Soldier field a 15 min bike ride, least it’s outside, mask up, drink with the homies and make the best of it

Was actually able to get 6 tickets and my other homie 6 tickets.

FOMO got best of us, we got decent seats but pretty upset we paid 140 a ticket after fees smh

This not even a real concert, it’s just him standing there playing album. We donkeys for that

I saw ye on the floor, mosh pit with Bron and them for like 140 as well, saw him for yeezus in Det for same price, lowerbowl

But we sheep and we going lol! Soldier field a 15 min bike ride, least it’s outside, mask up, drink with the homies and make the best of it
These prices got me heated after hearing the ATL shows were 20 - 75 bucks. I'm legit in my feelings contemplating life.

this is the best rollout in a while

well done ye

but not going to a listening party for hundreds

LOL gayTL listening parties were like 40. ye supertaxing his hometown.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom