OFFICIAL: ZOOM KOBE V THREAD : UPDATE ON PG.1 RELEASE DATES

I picked up 2 of the 3 this past week

Having picked up a couple more DS/near DS pairs of Vs, I've been torn lately between playing in these and some of the other new models that I've grabbed 
laugh.gif

You just can't beat this shoe... though there are better traction options these are just so damn solid for ball.  I know I'm preaching to the choir.  I feel like I can't pick up enough of this model

Having picked up a couple more DS/near DS pairs of Vs, I've been torn lately between playing in these and some of the other new models that I've grabbed :lol:

You just can't beat this shoe... though there are better traction options these are just so damn solid for ball.  I know I'm preaching to the choir.  I feel like I can't pick up enough of this model

Having picked up a couple more DS/near DS pairs of Vs, I've been torn lately between playing in these and some of the other new models that I've grabbed :lol:

I totally agree, I've been going back and trying to pick up more IV's and V's. They're gettin really hard to find in my size (13) so if any of you guys know where I could find some DS pairs please point me in the right direction.

You're comparing shoes that were released 5 years apart, I would hope the 9s have better on court performance with newer technology. But blow them out of the water? Nah

Last edited:
The V's look good, but the 9's blow them out of the water for on court performance.
To each his own, but I don't think they blow them out of the water -- I don't think they are that far apart.  Are the 9s better in some aspects?  Absolutely.  But I think they are two pretty different setups and it's more of a preference thing. I wouldn't say this if I hadn't played a lot in both models.  Alex I know you probably have done so as well.  I had been playing in the 9s for a while and though I would take the traction on them hands down, I've been playing in the Vs again for my recent league and I feel like I move just as well, if not better in them.  

Full-length lunar is awesome.  From the court feel you get, to how you get front-to-back cushioning and impact protection -- it plays very smooth.  The traction on the 9s is also superior (I don't think anyone will argue against that).  I won't discredit the 9s as an awesome court shoe.

The reason I don't think they blow the Vs out of the water is because of how well-balanced the V is.  You don't get quite the court feel/flexibility as the 9, but it is still excellent in the V considering the other features.  For the little bit of court feel/flexibility that you might lose, you gain in responsiveness, support, and overall fit IMO.  I think the zoom setup for the Vs/VIs is the perfect amount and well-placed -- you get good spring where you need it and with that met zoom bag placement, you still get flexibility.  It's a different feel from that of the 9, but I'd argue that it still plays very natural.  You've got great support in a shoe that is still very minimal.  I find the Vs to fit better around the ankle especially with how the shoe is sculpted, the heel cup design, and from the ankle padding.  

Both the V and 9 are pairs that you don't think about when on foot.  That's how good they feel and what you want while playing for no distractions.  Anyway... my point is that I don't think there is a drastic gap between the two shoes.  

If you put the traction from the 9s on the Vs though... I'd be in heaven.  

9's blow the V's out the water?? :nerd:

To each his own.... nothing has taken over the V's in my mind and certainly nothing blows it away .

The one clear advantage that the 9s have over the 5s for me would be the traction and probably the upper durability (at least the flyknit models). I think some of the other stuff like zoom vs lunar or fit is pretty much up to personal preference since they're both great models. I still prefer the 5s in overall fit and court feel since they have better lockdown for my foot, and my preference is for zoom. I will say that the 9s are maybe my favorite on court model since the 5s though.

I think the V are the most overrated ball shoe on this forum, imo. To me, they weren't good on court at all. My feet always hurt after I play in them. I appreciate the zoom setup but the 6's performed way better with that same setup.

I tried different sizing on the V. My true size would cause pain, and going half a size up would be a little more comfortable, however if playing ball it would get bad after an hour.

For casual wear they are fine.

Last edited:
^I know that everyone will experience shoes differently, but that's amazing to me

I love the VI too and I don't find the two shoes to be too much different.  The upper on the VI is a little softer overall and more comfortable -- maybe that was it for you?

Last edited:
You're comparing shoes that were released 5 years apart, I would hope the 9s have better on court performance with newer technology. But blow them out of the water? Nah

I also can't agree that just because a shoe is 5 years newer newer tech, it'll perform better. I haven't hopped in all Kobe models but to me the zoom 2K4 was a better performer than any of them that I've played in (which is the 5,6,8,9 fk low). On the same thought, LeBrons 1-3 played better than all his recent models except x elites.

I also can't agree that just because a shoe is 5 years newer newer tech, it'll perform better. I haven't hopped in all Kobe models but to me the zoom 2K4 was a better performer than any of them that I've played in (which is the 5,6,8,9 fk low). On the same thought, LeBrons 1-3 played better than all his recent models except x elites.

I agree. If I had to put them in order performance wise I'd probably go;

4's
5's
9's
8's

I know everyone hates em, but I still ride for the 7's as the best balling shoe personally for me,, it truly was the code which is sheath

No 6 no care.

While i love the 8 and 9, once the lunar is gone after a month the shoe is worthless for basketball.

5s and 6s til i die
Come on. Nike isn't selling and people aren't buying a performance shoe that wears out in a month for $160-250.

Personally, I have always held the V's as the best, with the 6's a close second.

I played in and hated the 8's. That caused me to not give the 9's a chance, because I figured similar setup, similar performance. That was until a few weeks ago when I tried the 9 EM low.

While I still rate the V as the best, the 9's are now a close second. Bumped the 6's to third for me.

Now, not only do I hunt for more V's, I am playing catch up with the 9's.

Personally, I have always held the V's as the best, with the 6's a close second.

I played in and hated the 8's. That caused me to not give the 9's a chance, because I figured similar setup, similar performance. That was until a few weeks ago when I tried the 9 EM low.

While I still rate the V as the best, the 9's are now a close second. Bumped the 6's to third for me.

Now, not only do I hunt for more V's, I am playing catch up with the 9's.
Yeah the 9 EM is solid.  Just curious, why did you hate the 8s?  Was the lunar too minimal?  When it bottomed out the shoe was definitely hard to play in... not easy on the joints/back/etc

I have never met anyone that didnt like the Vs.  even my friends who dont play much ball at all, ask me where to get the Vs again.  I always have to break the news, "sorry they dont make those anymore"

Imo, As for the 8s, they are great shoes for ball, but its just not made to last more than 3-6 months.  The only practical solution is to get a zoom insole (elite or nike + versions) or lebron 11 insert,  its really a shame nike doesnt sell the lunarlon inserts by themselves anymore. 

Last edited:
Yeah the 9 EM is solid.  Just curious, why did you hate the 8s?  Was the lunar too minimal?  When it bottomed out the shoe was definitely hard to play in... not easy on the joints/back/etc

I didn't like the 8's because every time i played in them I got calf and achilles pain in both legs, knees would ache. Not sure if it was the minimal lunar or the lack of arch support, but they killed me. And I played in them for months, and would switch shoes to make sure. It was the 8's. And I played in 2 different pairs, and I had problems whether new out of the box or they had been broken in and played in for a couple months.

Other than that, the fit, traction, colorways, and look was great. I really liked them otherwise, but if I can't ball in a shoe I hate it, no matter how aesthetically pleasing it is.

Last edited:
The V is one of those shoes to me that I have to keep in my rotation somewhere.  I got rid of mine or wore them out and when I didn't have any, I wanted at least one pair.

Compared to some modern shoes it's not my favorite, but I know if I don't have any, I'll miss them.

It might be my second favorite Nike BBall shoe, behind the Zoom BB Low.  The Zoom BB Low is what the Kobe V should have been.  Full-length Zoom and awesome outsole design and traction.

Back
Top Bottom