OGs - where are they?

Originally Posted by NT2488

Man, you small footers have all the stock/luck in the world.

Finding OGs in my size (11.5-12) is damn near impossible on Ebay. =(

Yeah I moved the last of my OGs (10s, 12s, 13s) that were still wearable, along with my beat up 2000-2001 retros on ebay over the last year for good money. I dunno, they were all worn and beat up, and in sizes 7-10. I'm an 11-11.5 now, so I find it hard to justify old sneakers mainly used for basketball in my "collection." Likewise, I can't in my right mind justify paying $300-$600 (or more) for OG models that can't be worn. I think in the long run that an OG Jordan collection won't hold value because most of the shoes will have crumbled or be in such bad cosmetic shape that they don't even make for good display pieces the way jerseys and other pieces of memorabilia do. What's the point if your shrine is a bunch of crumbled, half glued together, yellowed, worn shoes? It takes away the luster and shine that made them collectible in the first place.
In the long run I think JB/Nike will have to go back to retros that are closer to OG in look and materials in order to justify continued purchases, or just end them (which seems unlikely given that you have 14-20 year olds who are deep into retros and will maintain buying power through the next decade and beyond). The way they have flooded the market between 07-12 makes me think that in 2-3 years the craze will die down and the large portion of the collectors are going to have completed their collection or be at a point where they are just done because they can't justify purchasing more of the same retros with jordan rather than nike branding, and overall lower quality. I could be wrong, it's certainly cyclical by nature, but there's no denying they have flooded the market. 2011-2012 is IMO the end of this current cycle with the retroing of the 4's, 10's, and 12's. Toss in the Columbia XI's at the end of the year, and they have run through the majority of the most sought after retros while taking out just about every OG model that has yet to retro (10's being one of the very last).

/thread. And to the dude a few posts up who said he doesn't buy OG's because they aren't wearable lol. You go on to say you have OG 5's because they are sooo durable, 3s 4s 5s and 6s are the worst when it comes to crumbling with age.

Originally Posted by Glockwork3

/thread. And to the dude a few posts up who said he doesn't buy OG's because they aren't wearable lol. You go on to say you have OG 5's because they are sooo durable, 3s 4s 5s and 6s are the worst when it comes to crumbling with age.

THIS.

Some people want OG's as a staple in their collection and choose to not wear them. Some people wear them. Either way its their choice. Me personally I wear mine. If they fall apart, then its going to be because I wore the $@&! out of them. Ive owned at least one colorway of each Jordan, 1 through 22. Of course I still dont have all of them, but I still have some. Im proud to say that I've owned those, but I cant lose sleep anymore trying to hunt down the one's I don't own anymore. If they fell in my lap, then that's one thing....

Originally Posted by zongetsu23

let me tell you

i was lucky enough to be born at just the right time

i was at the perfect age to be able to Experience every og jordan and was old enough to actually know what shoes were about

not like some people who say ,

yeah i go way back , i had the og jordan 5's when i was like 3 yrs. old

ive had every pair of OG jordans in almost every hot og colorway there is since day 1
(i got the og jordan 1's in 1985 when i was 14 yrs. old)

so i can tell you how og jordans held up back in the day and how they would fair today over 25 yrs. later.

right from the start you can tell what shoes would hold up and what pairs wont

the jordan og 1's were indestructable back in the day and they are just as good today

the jordan 2's 3's were sweet back in the day and held up for me but just by the way they are made with there think foam mid sole's
you just know they were not going to be a long life shoe

now shoes like the og 10's , 12's were tanks , i beat the hell out of those shoes and they would still keep going and you can get a pair today and wear them with no problem

i think the best og shoes are 1's and 12's as far as long life

there are some og's on ebay but if you look there are always only certain ones like 1's , 10's 11's 12's 13's and up

you see a few 2's 5's 6's 7's once in awhile but you hardly ever see 3's or 4's and if you do see them they are shot ,no good and cracked.

i think the reason you just dont see that many of them now is they are either in a good home or they are in shoe heaven......................peace23
truth spoken. nothing else needs to be said. 
tired.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by trappedintime

Originally Posted by NT2488

Man, you small footers have all the stock/luck in the world.

Finding OGs in my size (11.5-12) is damn near impossible on Ebay. =(

Yeah I moved the last of my OGs (10s, 12s, 13s) that were still wearable, along with my beat up 2000-2001 retros on ebay over the last year for good money. I dunno, they were all worn and beat up, and in sizes 7-10. I'm an 11-11.5 now, so I find it hard to justify old sneakers mainly used for basketball in my "collection." Likewise, I can't in my right mind justify paying $300-$600 (or more) for OG models that can't be worn. I think in the long run that an OG Jordan collection won't hold value because most of the shoes will have crumbled or be in such bad cosmetic shape that they don't even make for good display pieces the way jerseys and other pieces of memorabilia do. What's the point if your shrine is a bunch of crumbled, half glued together, yellowed, worn shoes? It takes away the luster and shine that made them collectible in the first place.
In the long run I think JB/Nike will have to go back to retros that are closer to OG in look and materials in order to justify continued purchases, or just end them (which seems unlikely given that you have 14-20 year olds who are deep into retros and will maintain buying power through the next decade and beyond). The way they have flooded the market between 07-12 makes me think that in 2-3 years the craze will die down and the large portion of the collectors are going to have completed their collection or be at a point where they are just done because they can't justify purchasing more of the same retros with jordan rather than nike branding, and overall lower quality. I could be wrong, it's certainly cyclical by nature, but there's no denying they have flooded the market. 2011-2012 is IMO the end of this current cycle with the retroing of the 4's, 10's, and 12's. Toss in the Columbia XI's at the end of the year, and they have run through the majority of the most sought after retros while taking out just about every OG model that has yet to retro (10's being one of the very last).

I absolutely agree with everything you said. (Not very poginant, I know).
It's also because of the lack of wearability that I stay away from II-IX. I see 1985 Is A LOT in our size on Ebay. If I ever have that kind of money, I'd definitely scoop a pair up.

Right now, I'm just looking for some Oreo IVs and some OG X-XIVs.

I thought of buying OG's but than also the fact is that I wear all of my kicks. So how much life would I get out of them? So I just stick with the retros.

^ I see your point, but then you got people whining about the quality of retros, because they worry about the durability of OG's. Got my 2001 Bred 11's on today, need some glue but other than that, Im good to go.

I think the retro releases have a lot to do with the difficulty in finding OGs on eBay right now. At first, retro releases caused a lot of sneakerheads to sell off their OGs due to a fear of them losing value. This did happen at first, but I've noticed that once the retro release becomes scarce and proves to be of lesser quality, the OGs seem to rise in value again. It seems the true collectors have finally learned to hang on to their OGs through thick and thin. That's my main theory, but it is true, a lot of pairs are starting to crumble, especially those that were not properly stored. If only we all had air-tight vaults at home...

I got OG's that only true sneakheads would know
Im tired of checking these young cats with the new retros on their feet thinking they are true sneaker heads

Disrespectful chaps

Its a good thign from a collectors standpoint... Makes them a little bit more rare. The releases now are so frequent & easy to get (Most of them), that those will outnumber the OG's...

As for wearability... There's plenty of OG's that are wearable. The OG XII's are like tanks... Not many sneakers in general that you can find more durable than those.

Speaking of that i need to wear my OG Black Red XIII's today.....im afraid they will fall apart when i wear them though...

Originally Posted by Scooterman

Im tired of checking these young cats with the new retros on their feet thinking they are true sneaker heads

Disrespectful chaps

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read in awhile. What makes someone a sneakerhead? Their ability to shell out huge money on OGs and decade old retros that are falling apart? Am I less of a sneakerhead cause I sold my OGs that I couldn't fit into, or tossed shoes that I wore down to the soles?And to say that any young kid who wears retros is disrespectful? Ha, are you serious? If I was just now 15-18 and liked sneakers, what would I have to do to not be disrespectful in the eyes of someone like you? This is just the talk of old, jaded ignorance. Most of the world isn't going to rewind 20-30 years to get beatup OGs just to have the respect of some stupid old fart. And c'mon, this culture originated in many lower class neighborhoods, in the ghetto and on the courts of urban parks across this country. Jordans are just as notable for the murder and theft of them in the late '80's and early '90's as they are for the man himself. I respect anyone who works hard and honest to put shoes on their feet and into their closets, so long as their intentions are good. Take a step back and remember that there are a million things in life more important than what brand of shoes you have on.

Originally Posted by trappedintime

Originally Posted by Scooterman

Disrespectful chaps

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read in awhile. What makes someone a sneakerhead? Their ability to shell out huge money on OGs and decade old retros that are falling apart? Am I less of a sneakerhead cause I sold my OGs that I couldn't fit into, or tossed shoes that I wore down to the soles?And to say that any young kid who wears retros is disrespectful? Ha, are you serious? If I was just now 15-18 and liked sneakers, what would I have to do to not be disrespectful in the eyes of someone like you? This is just the talk of old, jaded ignorance. Most of the world isn't going to rewind 20-30 years to get beatup OGs just to have the respect of some stupid old fart. And c'mon, this culture originated in many lower class neighborhoods, in the ghetto and on the courts of urban parks across this country. Jordans are just as notable for the murder and theft of them in the late '80's and early '90's as they are for the man himself. I respect anyone who works hard and honest to put shoes on their feet and into their closets, so long as their intentions are good. Take a step back and remember that there are a million things in life more important than what brand of shoes you have on.
-Cosign
I notice the people who claim "sneakerhead" have the same attitude Scooterman has. Attitude that seems to not be about the sneakers but a genuine problem with younger people wearing the shoes because they weren't old enough to appreciate the originals.  

laugh.gif

Dudes kill me with this nonsense when OGs were out most people only cared about the newest/next Jordan sig model. 

Not much has changed the retros people crap on now will be desired years from now when pairs are less abundant and they'll suddenly become "heat"

Cosign on what trappedintime said.

Anyways, my friend has some OG Metallic V's that are pretty beat and past yellowing. Basically orange.
He hooped in them yesterday and they are still holding up very well. OG V's are very durable.

Back
Top Bottom