OLB Shaun Phillips of the Chargers charged in Sunday Brawl vol. Chargers still run downtown SD.

SAN DIEGO -- 10News has confirmed through the San Diego Police Department that Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips was charged with misdemeanor battery, stemming from an early morning brawl at the Ivy Hotel on Sunday.Officers said that Phillips assaulted another person at the downtown nightspot.Witnesses also told 10News that other Chargers players were involved.

10News contacted the Chargers and they are not commenting.We're working on the story now and will have full details today on 10News at 5.

POSTED: 11:55 am PDT April 27, 2009

UPDATED: 1:13 pm PDT April 27, 2009

http://www.10news.com/news/19303791/detail.html

Wonder if it had anything to do with the Larry English draft?

Dude had an incident back in 06 in Downtown SD also.

Chargers players need to get out of the party scene. Always taking L's in Downtown.

Jamal Williams and Vincent started 09 off with DUIs. SMH.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

[h1]Charger player Phillips cited in Ivy Hotel punchout[/h1]
By Kevin Acee (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer, Debbi Baker (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer

12:07 p.m. April 27, 2009

SAN DIEGO - Chargers player Shaun Phillips was cited for misdemeanor battery early Saturday morning after a security guard at a downtown rooftop bar said the linebacker hit him in the face, police said.

The incident was reported about 1 a.m. at the Ivy Hotel on F Street, San Diego police said.

Police spokeswoman Monica Munoz said there was a brawl at the bar that precipitated the incident. She said Chargers players were not involved in the fight.

It was the second time this month that Phillips, 27, was involved in a battery case, police said.

Officers said that on April 11, a security guard at Stingaree on Sixth Avenue said that Phillips choked and punched him. The guard did not report the incident until several hours later.

Phillips was named as a suspect in that case but was not arrested or cited, Munoz said.

Phillips denied that he had anything to do with the incident at the Ivy.

"It was somebody else's mishap. It had nothing to do with me or my teammates," Phillips said.

He confirmed that he received a citation and said the officer was "just doing his job based on one person's account."

"There is video of the whole thing, and it won't show me anywhere in the vicinity," Phillips said.

He also said that the incident at Stingaree was "another misunderstanding" and pointed out that he was not cited or taken into custody.

He said fingers are pointed at him only because he is a "recognizable face."

"You don't see me in handcuffs, don't see me in the back of a police car," Phillips said."

Chargers management has not issued a statement about the incidents.

Phillips has been with the team since 2004.

He said fingers are pointed at him only because he is a "recognizable face."

"You don't see me in handcuffs, don't see me in the back of a police car," Phillips said."

Word?
Updated: April 14, 2006, 6:07 PM ET

[h2]Chargers' Phillips arrested in scuffle with police[/h2]

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers backup linebacker Shaun Phillips was arrested early Friday after he scuffled with a patrol officer, police said.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
s6857.jpg
Shaun Phillips">[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[size=-2]Phillips[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Phillips, 24, was booked into San Diego County jail on a charge of obstructing or resisting an officer in the performance of his duty. Phillips was freed after posting $10,000 bail, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Two officers sustained minor injuries during the struggle with the 6-foot-3, 262-pound linebacker, police said in a statement.

An officer patrolling San Diego's Gaslamp neighborhood saw Phillips grab an unidentified woman by the hair and pull hard enough to make her head tilt back, police said. The officer saw the woman slap Phillips and push him as he tried to grab her again.

When the officer checked on the couple, the woman told the officer they were "just playing" and the couple started walking away. The officer told Phillips to stay, the linebacker refused and a struggle followed, the police said.

Phillips saw significant action in 2005 and made three starts when Steve Foley was hurt. He was second on the team last season with seven sacks.

"I've met with the young man and we'll let the legal process run its course," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom