Oldboy (2013) has an interesting cast

I think that is one of the problems Hollywood has, they underestimate the intelligence of their audience. It just isn't possible to fight a few people and win unless you're jacked. Dude is supposed to be broken down mentally and emotionally in some unknown room, not working out like he was in prison. That's just nitpicking on my end though and Brolin could probably pull off both.

I'll still see the film though and have an open mind with very low expectations, really no point in pretending this film will come close to the OG film.

American remakes can be good though. If I hear good things about it, i'll give it a shot.

IHollywood needs to adapt more mangas in to movies. A Monster movie would be great and 20th Century Boys would be very ambitious. Although even if it's a trilogy I expect a lot to be cut out. Still would want to see.
Nope! I'm a militant Asian man, and don't want Asian material white-washed unless they cast actual Asians.

Keanu Reeves for Akira, kill yourself Hollywood.

[more Asian salt]

well....keanu reeves is part asian...his dad is hawaiian/chinese.
laugh.gif
Not enough Asian to play Akira.

IHollywood needs to adapt more mangas in to movies. A Monster movie would be great and 20th Century Boys would be very ambitious. Although even if it's a trilogy I expect a lot to be cut out. Still would want to see.
Nope! I'm a militant Asian man, and don't want Asian material white-washed unless they cast actual Asians.
Keanu Reeves for Akira, kill yourself Hollywood.
[more Asian salt]
View media item 162056
:lol: Well my whole thing with Hollywood adaptions is they're suppose to be Americanized. Blame the mangaka for not drawing their characters not to look Asian despite most times the setting being in some country in Asia :lol: I agree to an extent but hey that's how it's going to be until Asian actors in Hollywood start getting shine. For now if you want Asians in your movies watch movies made in and by Asians. It's messed up but that's how it is word to that 21/Blackjack movie that got re-casted by whites despite the story being about Asian Americans. I won't even mention what went down with DBZ or the attempt at that Chun-Li movie.

The Monster manga doesn't really apply though. Main character is Asian but looks Hispanic and the villains are German if I remember right.

Regardless I want to see a Gantz movie since the concept isn't dependent on the characters and where they're from.

I recently watched Old Boy, movie was ****** up.

I Saw The Devil was probably more ****** up.

Any other movies on Netflix like this?
Old Boy is part of The Vengeance Trilogy. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are the other 2 films, check 'em out. Even though it's considered a trilogy w/ the same director for all, the 3 films have nothing to do with each other in a narrative sense. They're linked through thematic nature.

South Korea has the revenge & serial killer genre on LOCK though. NO ONE does revenge/serial killer like they do. Here's some that might or might not be on Netflix but I still recommend anyway...

Memories of Murder (a bit slower paced & not really ****** up as the others but great film/story/acting...might be best out of all)

A Bittersweet Life

The Man from Nowhere

The Chaser

No Mercy (probably THEE most ****** up conclusion I've seen recently in a flick...it's up there with Oldboy's ending IMO)

I've been meaning to check out Mother since it's always associated with these films...haven't got around to watching it yet but that one I know for sure is on Netflix.
I think that is one of the problems Hollywood has, they underestimate the intelligence of their audience.
Definitely agree with you there. But when you see and hear what a portion of that audience has to offer as far as intellect goes...
mean.gif

Maybe we'd be better off if they'd stop catering to simpletons for the extra dollars. Wishful thinking though.

That being said...I'm not an anti-Hollywood guy so I'm open to the American adaptation of Old Boy as long as it works. I usually expect there to be changes between OG's and remakes anyway so it doesn't really bother me. Another thing is sometimes there are cultural differences between countries that have to be accounted for. Once you understand that you'll see why certain **** might not be as receptive or translate as well from one audience to the next.

I recently watched Old Boy, movie was ****** up.

I Saw The Devil was probably more ****** up.

Any other movies on Netflix like this?

I haven't seen Bitter Sweet life but supposedly it's really good.

I'm def. watching it in the future.

Interesting stuff, I might have to check this out especially with Spike directing.

so the young olsen sister is going to have a sex with josh brolin?

spike lee...u turn into a nets fan when u said u will never become a nets fan.

And then u make a oldboy remake?

im not longer a fan of spike.

Expect the film to be very loosely based on the OG film.

Brolin got swole for this film, which is already a departure to the OG.
The main character in the OG got buffed up. He was training for years inside the little room, while eating dumplings everyday.

I thought this was about a remake of Grandmas Boy
laugh.gif
mean.gif

I was confused to why Spike was involved

this.
Let Me In was a very, very good film.
And The Departed was excellent.

Let The Right One In >> Let Me In

I enjoyed Let Me In, but LTROI was just so much better cuz it was a whole new take on vampire films.

The reason I didn't see The Road is mainly because I have images in my head of how the main character and his son looked like and I didn't want to think about Viggo Mortension when I think about the book. Like how Daniel Radcliffe messed up HP for me.

this.
Let Me In was a very, very good film.
And The Departed was excellent.

Let The Right One In >> Let Me In

I enjoyed Let Me In, but LTROI was just so much better cuz it was a whole new take on vampire films.

I don't get where you're coming from, though. What does LTROI being better have to do with LMI being a very good film? There were changes and touches all over that improved LMI in some places. LTROI will still have that originality, but it's not a film I wish didn't exist, just because of that.

Are you saying you hated Let Me In, or that it wasn't good or that it made you stop liking LTROI?

The reason I didn't see The Road is mainly because I have images in my head of how the main character and his son looked like and I didn't want to think about Viggo Mortension when I think about the book. Like how Daniel Radcliffe messed up HP for me.

Oh...you're saying you just don't want anyone to touch anything you like without your permission, even if they're leaving that original thing intact (no George Lucas). Cool.

You're treating this like it's a Red Dawn-level production

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I liked LTROI was because it was an original concept. Same with Oldboy. If Oldboy is gonna be drastically different, why not just rename it and say it's based on Oldboy?

You do know that both of those films were book adaptations?

I might just be the luckiest writer alive. To have not only one, but two excellent versions of my debut novel done for the screen feels unreal. Let the Right One In is a great Swedish movie. Let Me In is a great American movie. There are notable similarities and the spirit of Tomas Alfredson is present. But Let Me In puts the emotional pressure in different places and stands firmly on its own legs. Like the Swedish movie it made me cry, but not at the same points. Let Me In is a dark and violent love story, a beautiful piece of cinema and a respectful rendering of my novel for which I am grateful. Again.

That's from the writer of the LTROI book. I have no problem with reinterpretations. At this point, it's been close to a decade since Oldboy came out. And I don't have a problem with them keeping the original title. You don't have to explain to people what it is and anything that gets more people to see an adult drama, the better.

This doesn't have to be better than the original for it to be worthwhile to me. I don't doubt that Spike will make this his own and I love the cast. If you can be mad at this film for existing, but you can laugh off the toy adaptations or sequels, then I don't know what to say to you. Whatever inspires good filmmakers to make adult films, the better to me, and I'll give a chance before I plug my ears and say la la la not happening.

What are you talking about, dude? :lol:

I said the reason why I'm not watching The Road is because I have a clear picture of how the characters look, so I'd rather keep that image in my head rather than one of an actor. It's not a terribly hard concept to grasp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom