Older S&Ters, at what point in time was MJ generally considered the best?

I've been watching Jordan videos all morning and I'm interested in finding out when he took the throne.  I mean dating back to his rookie year it seems that the guy was clearly head and shoulders above the competition..  Was it after he hung 63 on the Celtics in the Garden or what?  The switch-handed layup against LA?  After the first three-peat?  Either way the guy's career almost played out like a fairy tale, just an incredible list of accomplishments and accolades. 

I can tell you're being facetious but T-Mac definitely carried the crown for a few years as well.

michael-jordan-and-karla-knafel.jpg

edit: c'mon cakes 
laugh.gif

In the league? Well I would say 87 was the year you started hearing rumbles about him being the best even though he hadn't won.

35.0 ppg, 5.5 reb, 5.9 ast 3.16 stls per game .
MVP
All NBA 1st Team
DPoy
All NBA Defensive 1st Team
All Star Game MVP

But that 1st chip it was the cement.

Of All Time? Probably that 2nd 3 peat.

Individually, Jordan was being acknowledged as the best, his teams just could't get over the hump.  That hump being the Pistons.
Once Jordan beat Magic's Lakers in the '91 Finals the torch was passed.

When Jordan retired after the '93 Finals he was considered one of the best of all time and a player who left a lot on the table.

When Jordan retired after the '98 Finals he was widely considered the GOAT, with very little argument.

The 87-88 season when he won the MVP, DPOY and his second straight scoring title while averaging insane numbers was when he was generally seen as being the best basketball player on the planet. The following season when he averaged an amazing 32, 8 and 8 sealed it. At that point the only the only argument used against him was that he didn't have a ring (sound familiar?). Fortunately, he'd only have to hear that for two more seasons.

I wish There was someway to buy whole NBA seasons for specific teams on DVD. like a DVD set of all 82 games for the 87 Bulls. Does something like this exist?

nerd.gif

For clarification the reason why I said rumbles was because there was a group that didn't want to let go of the Magic/Bird dynamic.
Originally Posted by NooEra

I wish There was someway to buy whole NBA seasons for specific teams on DVD. like a DVD set of all 82 games for the 87 Bulls. Does something like this exist?

nerd.gif

I wish.  I'd have to have all of the Bull seasons from 87 on... I'd want all of the Magic & Bird era's as well.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

'91 Finals the torch was passed.

'93 he was considered one of the best of all time

'98 Finals he was widely considered the GOAT
   Pretty much. But like Seymore said, 87 was the first time I remember him being considered the best. He also won the Dunk contest.

Individually, Jordan was being acknowledged as the best, his teams just could't get over the hump.  That hump being the Pistons.

When Jordan retired after the '93 Finals he was considered one of the best of all time and a player who left a lot on the table.

When Jordan retired after the '98 Finals he was widely considered the GOAT, with very little argument.

This

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

In the league? Well I would say 87 was the year you started hearing rumbles about him being the best even though he hadn't won.

MVP
All NBA 1st Team
DPoy
All Star Game MVP

sick.gif
that stat line

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

This

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

MVP
All NBA 1st Team
DPoy
All Star Game MVP

Son.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Nothing to add that has not been stated already, once he won that first chip it was just a matter of how many he would win.

1991 was the passing of the torch and he knew it.

If you watch "The Dream Team" Documentary on NBATV Jordan at that time in 92 was telling Magic & Bird that a new sheriff was in town and that it was his league now.

Back
Top Bottom