Opinions needed: Nike Basketball or Adidas Basketball? Sharkleys, Commanders, or Pro models?

Hey Niketalk,

First and foremost, I know we are at NIKEtalk but I was hoping to get some opinions on whether you preferred Nike's or Adidas for basketball.

I know some are very loyal to one name brand. I have to admit, I myself have always gone with Nike but now as I get a bit older and can't afford arotation of shoes to play in I must choose wisely. Adidas as far as the pro models has always seemed like a good investment as to be the choice for teamsshoes. And as I'm about to make a new purchase I think back and in all of my years I've only had a few problems with Nike.

1. Lebron IV - The whole inner bootie came loose from the shoe. You could literally take out the whole bootie.
2. Kobe II Orcas - The tongue ripped as I pulled the tongue up.
3. Kobe III - Sole has come apart.

So right now I'm looking for a shoe that is comfortable and yet durable to last me. Seeing as I only play a couple days a week I would hope the shoes lastme a long time. Interested in the Nike Sharkleys, Adidas Commanders, or the Adidas Pro Models. All in that $100 and under price range, especially the promodels.

Personal: I am heavy for my height and do a little bit of everything. Run, drive, shoot, defense. If I had to lean towards one, I'd have to say shootsince I'm getting old.

I guess this is to see if people have good things to say about Adidas basketball and to see if anyone would recommend any one of the mentioned over the other. I've read the wonderful review by Duke on the commanders but those are the most expensive of the three (retail), so I'm trying to keep my options open. (Couldn't pull the trigger during friends and family especially when they didn't have the navy color)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i ordered a pair of commanders last week and they came in today. when i played in them they were every bit as great as i expected and duke4005 made them out tobe.

the traction is very very good, this is usually a weak spot for adidas but they got back to the traditional herringbone pattern and as non-innovative as it is,it works.

the cushioning is cool because heel has a cutout which is normally a huge pressure point in shoes. it also comes with two insoles, one thick padded insole andone that is thinner that has the adiprene in it. i like the thicker because it is much softer, but duke will tell you he likes the adiprene insole. either wayyou can't go wrong, this shoe satisfies those who like soft and firm cushioning.

just read the ts commander review thread. its a spot on review of the shoe...

Thank you for your input mt3130, it is much appreciated. I really regret not buying the commanders when I had the chance with the friends and family coupon. I think by your review and dukes review I'm gonna jump ship on my next pair and go with Adidas. I'll make due with what I have now and wait as long asI can for the commanders to come down a bit. I hope they will soon with the commander bounce just coming out.

Anyone elses input is more than welcome and appreciated...

dnvtran, I hate to harp on them, but the Commanders really are a good shoe. If you like, you can order them from Sports Authority for 25% off. Only problem isyou can't try them on. But they fit true to size. On the other hand, the Pro Models are also an excellent shoe. They aren't quite as comfortable on thetoe box, due to the shell toe stiffness, but they fit extremely well and the cushioning is much better than last years' model. An excellent choice eitherway. And like you, I have a closet full of Nike's, as my wife can vouch. The last few new model shoes I have bought have been adidas, though. THe qualityand materials are just more appealing to me (leather, no glue spots, stitching lasts, thick soles for durability) than the flywire, synthetic, rubber mesh Nikehas put out lately. I still buy Nike retros, if done in OG colors, but for new performance, for the moment, give me adidas.

i bought a pair of nike zoom elite runners like 3 weeks ago from the outlet and they are already showing serious compression. i think my last 3 nikes iactually used for sport
did not last long enough to make them even close to what nike wants to charge for some shoes.

Hey Duke thanks for chiming in again. Like I said before I'm really kicking myself in the butt for not getting them with the friends and family coupon. Ijust checked Sports Authority online and they're offering a buy one get one 50% off promotion but I'm not really in the market to get two pairs andthey're practically out of the black colorway. The Sports Authorities in my area don't even carry any of the Commanders, just Pro Models. I findmyself checking finishline.com just about everyday waiting for the price drop. I know as soon as I buy them for retail, the price will drop. Also prefer thenavy color but can settle for the black.

I actually did get a chance to try on the Commanders and they did feel pretty good but that was just a brief lace up and stroll around the store. I hesitatedto buy them and once I realized I did really want them, too late. I also tried on the creators which was a choice for a while because I prefer no straps tostrap but when I tried them on, they felt really narrow. Tried on a half size up and it felt too long.

Duke, if you're chiming in after your in-depth, much appreciated review, I think I definitely should pick up the Commanders. Unless I happen to run intothe Pro Models being extremely dirt cheap. Right now the cheapest I can find the Pro Models are around $50.00. Finishline = $60-$10 off coupon.

As you guys can see, not only am I looking for a good shoe but I'm on a budget as well.

Thanks again guys! Happy Holidays.

(Side Note Rant)
As far as Nikes go I have really taken a step back, especially in the Jordan Brand department. The most recent purchase I made was the black Penny II'sand those were for pure nostalgic reasons. Other than that I can't bring myself to buy any newly released Nikes or retro Nikes. Jordan Brand is puttingout a new shoe or retro every week and a new pack every few weeks/month it seems. I can never see myself purchasing a pair of fusions or rings. And as far asthe packs go, it's tough to shell out $300+ for a pair of shoes since there's usually one pair that's coveted but the other not so much. Qualityof Nikes and Jordans = mediocre at best.

Originally Posted by dnvtran

(Side Note Rant)
As far as Nikes go I have really taken a step back, especially in the Jordan Brand department. The most recent purchase I made was the black Penny II's and those were for pure nostalgic reasons. Other than that I can't bring myself to buy any newly released Nikes or retro Nikes. Jordan Brand is putting out a new shoe or retro every week and a new pack every few weeks/month it seems. I can never see myself purchasing a pair of fusions or rings. And as far as the packs go, it's tough to shell out $300+ for a pair of shoes since there's usually one pair that's coveted but the other not so much. Quality of Nikes and Jordans = mediocre at best.
Good Lord, I found my twin. Seriously, thanks to all for the words on my review. I know I may be out of touch with the "collectors", butI know quality, and right now Nike is lacking. My next review will be the Answer XII in Feb. I am extremely ready for these.

hey duke, love the review, i was wondering how good the commanders performed. i loved them when they released last post season. how bout the creators? i waskinda thinking hows the performance of the formotion, since they aplied it to the heel this time.

and iam kinda excited bout the answer 12's.

I haven't bought the Creators yet. Probably wait until after Christmas, but from what I have heard, they are as great for their purpose as the Commandersfor theirs. I loved the first gen Formotion 2 years ago, and I thought that move last year to discontinue was a pretty questionable move. They could have usedthe same technology for one more year while working on the new implementation for this year.

same here... when i saw that last years models didnt have formotion, i really thought it was a step back. especially from what ive heard about the performanceof the gil 2's. speaking of the gil 2's iam thinking of buying one, since i dont ball all that much anymore. though performance and cushioning is stillparamount for me. whats your take on these?

I loved adidas when I was younger, Tmacs and kobes all day. But I got the promodels (I liked the 2gs back then) and the crazy 8s and both were garbage.
They didnt have comfortable cushioning, fit my foot well (its narrow), and the heel toe transition wasnt smooth. It was just a mistake buying those.
I do have the sharkleys tho and out of the ones in your title I would hop on those. Sharkleys are pretty sweet and to me a better shoe.
I tried on some of the later model tmacs, the new ts stuff and I can easily say im done with adidas

The Gil2's feel stiff and hard-soled. I was very disappointed after the first model. The toe box was narrow and shallow (the top rubbed), and thetransition just felt clunky to me. It may have to do with the hard leather, but they just never felt right. I bought the Channel Zero's and waer themaround, but I can't play in them.

Back
Top Bottom