Osama Bin Laden is dead

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Originally Posted by toine2983

laugh.gif
 @ the notion that Osama could've been easily captured alive.
eyes.gif

It'll be interesting to see if US government releases any pictures of bin Laden's body.

I don't understand why this is being laughed at as impossible or something. If they wanted him alive, they could have taken him alive to put him on trial. The ISI captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (supposedly the mastermind of 9/11) in a raid in Pakistan and he was put on trial in the U.S.

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

You make it seem like all the US troops had to do was set up some elaborate trap like the Mystery Gang on Scooby Doo.

They were invading a heavily guarded mansion of one of the most dangerous men in the world.

You would be naive to think that Osama and his regime wouldn't put up any resistance or that there wouldn't be any bloodshed.

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

It'll be interesting to see if US government releases any pictures of bin Laden's body.

I don't understand why this is being laughed at as impossible or something. If they wanted him alive, they could have taken him alive to put him on trial. The ISI captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (supposedly the mastermind of 9/11) in a raid in Pakistan and he was put on trial in the U.S.

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

You make it seem like all the US troops had to do was set up some elaborate trap like the Mystery Gang on Scooby Doo.

They were invading a heavily guarded mansion of one of the most dangerous men in the world.

You would be naive to think that Osama and his regime wouldn't put up any resistance or that there wouldn't be any bloodshed.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

And I strongly encourage you to stop talking like you're some religious scholar. It has been asserted and evidenced that Islam preaches tolerance and acceptance, especially towards "People of the Book," namely Jews and Christians.
It has also been asserted and evidenced that Muslims are instructed to claim any and all allegiances if the result is the furthering of Islamic dominion.

A very simple example of the misconception:

Teaching
A) Muslim men are required to keep peace in their household

Translation
B) Muslim men are instructed to lie to their women if questioned in the name of peace

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by jhawkin826

laugh.gif
realize who you are talking to here. NTs resident Middle Eastern/Islamic sympathizer.

I still do not understand why some of you are making it as an impossible task he could have been captured alive during a raid if they wanted to take him in alive to put him on trial. Explanation please.
I dont know, maybe the fact that he resisted. Maybe its the reports about him firing shots and one female being used as a human shield. Either way, why do you want him alive? What is a trial going to do? Waste more tax dollars on trials, security, jail, etc??? He is better off dead anyways.

Why do you think it would be so easy to take him alive? Were you there? Were you in the military? Have you conducted these types of raids before? Are you disappointed you werent used as a human shield?
but who gives america the right to kill people? we should have put him through trial..

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

And I strongly encourage you to stop talking like you're some religious scholar. It has been asserted and evidenced that Islam preaches tolerance and acceptance, especially towards "People of the Book," namely Jews and Christians.
It has also been asserted and evidenced that Muslims are instructed to claim any and all allegiances if the result is the furthering of Islamic dominion.

A very simple example of the misconception:

Teaching
A) Muslim men are required to keep peace in their household

Translation
B) Muslim men are instructed to lie to their women if questioned in the name of peace

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by jhawkin826

laugh.gif
realize who you are talking to here. NTs resident Middle Eastern/Islamic sympathizer.

I still do not understand why some of you are making it as an impossible task he could have been captured alive during a raid if they wanted to take him in alive to put him on trial. Explanation please.
I dont know, maybe the fact that he resisted. Maybe its the reports about him firing shots and one female being used as a human shield. Either way, why do you want him alive? What is a trial going to do? Waste more tax dollars on trials, security, jail, etc??? He is better off dead anyways.

Why do you think it would be so easy to take him alive? Were you there? Were you in the military? Have you conducted these types of raids before? Are you disappointed you werent used as a human shield?
but who gives america the right to kill people? we should have put him through trial..

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

they said it was heavily guarded but only 4 people were there?

i wouldnt considred 4 ppl heavily guarded. 

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

they said it was heavily guarded but only 4 people were there?

i wouldnt considred 4 ppl heavily guarded. 

Let me preface this by saying I am not American and I lost no family or loved ones in the terrible attacks on September 11th, 2001, so I have an obviously different view than others may.
However, it troubles me seeing how much joy and how much nationalism is shown over the death of one man. I understand he was the implicated leader of one of the largest terrorist cells in the world, and most likely the mastermind behind many atrocious attacks on innocent people. 

Breaking into chants of, "USA, USA!" over the death of a man, as evil as he may have been, is simply wrong to me. If you needed to see this man expire to gain closure, so be it. Who am I to judge or dictate how a person deals with the passing of friends and family, or grief in general. But this nationalistic fervor is almost appalling to me. 

Let me preface this by saying I am not American and I lost no family or loved ones in the terrible attacks on September 11th, 2001, so I have an obviously different view than others may.
However, it troubles me seeing how much joy and how much nationalism is shown over the death of one man. I understand he was the implicated leader of one of the largest terrorist cells in the world, and most likely the mastermind behind many atrocious attacks on innocent people. 

Breaking into chants of, "USA, USA!" over the death of a man, as evil as he may have been, is simply wrong to me. If you needed to see this man expire to gain closure, so be it. Who am I to judge or dictate how a person deals with the passing of friends and family, or grief in general. But this nationalistic fervor is almost appalling to me. 

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

Again, you are looking at it from a view that is biased with your interpretation of Islam. I look it from an objective view. I am also critical of some elements of the religion. But stating in a generalization as you did about how Islam is against other religions is a false lie. You are the type that just wants to use demonization of Islam as a violent religion when in fact it practices peace in a lot of the religious texts in the Qur'an. Yes, there are violent texts in there, but then again, no different than other religious texts and it should be taken into context. Also, like I told you it should be taken into context of the history.

If you want to compare the history of the treatment of people of other people's faith under Islam and Christianity, Islam wins by a lonnnng mile. This is also when it was Christian nations with no separation between the church and the state.

As for the hadiths, not all of them are as to be taken as fact. The law in Islam is that the Qur'an is the foremost source.  

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

Again, you are looking at it from a view that is biased with your interpretation of Islam. I look it from an objective view. I am also critical of some elements of the religion. But stating in a generalization as you did about how Islam is against other religions is a false lie. You are the type that just wants to use demonization of Islam as a violent religion when in fact it practices peace in a lot of the religious texts in the Qur'an. Yes, there are violent texts in there, but then again, no different than other religious texts and it should be taken into context. Also, like I told you it should be taken into context of the history.

If you want to compare the history of the treatment of people of other people's faith under Islam and Christianity, Islam wins by a lonnnng mile. This is also when it was Christian nations with no separation between the church and the state.

As for the hadiths, not all of them are as to be taken as fact. The law in Islam is that the Qur'an is the foremost source.  

First bold: I'm looking at the RELIGIOUS TEXTS. There is nothing to interpret unless the translations are in question, which I doubt is the case.

Second bold: You are absolutely wrong. I don't feel like arguing with someone who is blatantly ignoring the fact that Islam is the only religion with explicit instructions on handling those who don't believe. And those instructions are not to be tolerant in the slightest.

Again, you can't ignore one tradition and recognize another. i'm done arguing over Islam, what is important is that those people who lost loved ones in 9/11 and at war feel some sense of closure, regardless of how fanciful this situation seems to be.

First bold: I'm looking at the RELIGIOUS TEXTS. There is nothing to interpret unless the translations are in question, which I doubt is the case.

Second bold: You are absolutely wrong. I don't feel like arguing with someone who is blatantly ignoring the fact that Islam is the only religion with explicit instructions on handling those who don't believe. And those instructions are not to be tolerant in the slightest.

Again, you can't ignore one tradition and recognize another. i'm done arguing over Islam, what is important is that those people who lost loved ones in 9/11 and at war feel some sense of closure, regardless of how fanciful this situation seems to be.

Originally Posted by King Sole

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:
You are making ludicrous statements about a religion you do not know about. I read the Qur'an too you know. I can find you texts in any religion that talks smack about people of other faiths, even Christianity but you are just saying Islam is the only religion that has texts like that? But, you have to take it all in context too. 

Why are you ignoring the religious texts in the Qur'an that talk of tolerance of other people's faiths and to respect Judaism and Christianity? Those ones that speak of infidels, again, not to be used as a carte blanche to kill non-Muslims. It is used in POLITICAL context because the political alliances failed and then there were wars.

As for hadiths, those are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Disagree. Not ALL religious text censure "infidels." Many if not most eastern religions do not criticize other faiths. Agreed, Christianity and Judaism also speak ill of "pagans" and non-believers, respectively. BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE FACT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE INTERPRETING THE QURAN IN A VIOLENT WAY AND WANTING TO KILL BECAUSE OF IT IN COMPARISON TO JUDAISM AND CHRISTIANITY ARE VASTLY DIFFERENT.  
 Osama and others like him do not consider themselves POLITICIANS. They literally call themselves religious warriors. How is that political? I am going to go with Ayaan Hirsi Ali and say that TODAY, IN THESE DAYS, Islam has become an inherently violent religion in comparison to Christianity and Judaism. I agree with you, it was not always like that. During the middle ages the roles were reversed in a way. The Mores of Africa were quite tolerant. BUT THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT THAT BEGAN IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY towards an extremist view. Is everyone like that? No. But for the most part yes. 

Put it this way. I am not scared to go into the city because the Christians or Jews or even the Israelites might try to kill me. Its going to be a Muslim who could care less about Politics. 

There are 2 billion Muslims in the world who are peaceful and you are using a bunch of looney tune small percentage of misinformed extremists who misinterpret the religion for their own agenda?

Extremism and Radical Islam is more political rather than religious. It is used just as a political tool by some looney men who have no respect of Islam themselves as a political tool. In the Middle East, communism-marxism, nationalist pan arabism as a political tool against the West was not seen as effective anymore and then so you had these radicalists rise out of the ashes to use Islam as a political tool to identify themselves against the West. You can thank Khomeini of Iran who spearheaded this movement during the revolution of '79.

They are just using Islam to pervert it for their own political intentions and agenda. Infact, these men sometimes are not even devout or representable Muslims at all. Look at the Wahhabi Saudi There is a HUGE difference when a religion is used as a political tool.

By the way, you can thank the good ol' government of the U.S. of A that helped fund Islamic extremism and these radicals for political gains since the 80s. This all started during the Afghan-Soviet war in which the CIA helped the mujahideens and even supported and created Bin Laden. Reagan's administration are the ones who put HUGE funding into radical islamist schools in Pakistan and other countries to use these extremist radicals in their fight against Communism. They even would train these radicals in the Balkans. They also are all U.S. trained.

So yes, Islam radicalism is used as a political tool.

Originally Posted by King Sole

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:
You are making ludicrous statements about a religion you do not know about. I read the Qur'an too you know. I can find you texts in any religion that talks smack about people of other faiths, even Christianity but you are just saying Islam is the only religion that has texts like that? But, you have to take it all in context too. 

Why are you ignoring the religious texts in the Qur'an that talk of tolerance of other people's faiths and to respect Judaism and Christianity? Those ones that speak of infidels, again, not to be used as a carte blanche to kill non-Muslims. It is used in POLITICAL context because the political alliances failed and then there were wars.

As for hadiths, those are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Disagree. Not ALL religious text censure "infidels." Many if not most eastern religions do not criticize other faiths. Agreed, Christianity and Judaism also speak ill of "pagans" and non-believers, respectively. BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE FACT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE INTERPRETING THE QURAN IN A VIOLENT WAY AND WANTING TO KILL BECAUSE OF IT IN COMPARISON TO JUDAISM AND CHRISTIANITY ARE VASTLY DIFFERENT.  
 Osama and others like him do not consider themselves POLITICIANS. They literally call themselves religious warriors. How is that political? I am going to go with Ayaan Hirsi Ali and say that TODAY, IN THESE DAYS, Islam has become an inherently violent religion in comparison to Christianity and Judaism. I agree with you, it was not always like that. During the middle ages the roles were reversed in a way. The Mores of Africa were quite tolerant. BUT THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT THAT BEGAN IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY towards an extremist view. Is everyone like that? No. But for the most part yes. 

Put it this way. I am not scared to go into the city because the Christians or Jews or even the Israelites might try to kill me. Its going to be a Muslim who could care less about Politics. 

There are 2 billion Muslims in the world who are peaceful and you are using a bunch of looney tune small percentage of misinformed extremists who misinterpret the religion for their own agenda?

Extremism and Radical Islam is more political rather than religious. It is used just as a political tool by some looney men who have no respect of Islam themselves as a political tool. In the Middle East, communism-marxism, nationalist pan arabism as a political tool against the West was not seen as effective anymore and then so you had these radicalists rise out of the ashes to use Islam as a political tool to identify themselves against the West. You can thank Khomeini of Iran who spearheaded this movement during the revolution of '79.

They are just using Islam to pervert it for their own political intentions and agenda. Infact, these men sometimes are not even devout or representable Muslims at all. Look at the Wahhabi Saudi There is a HUGE difference when a religion is used as a political tool.

By the way, you can thank the good ol' government of the U.S. of A that helped fund Islamic extremism and these radicals for political gains since the 80s. This all started during the Afghan-Soviet war in which the CIA helped the mujahideens and even supported and created Bin Laden. Reagan's administration are the ones who put HUGE funding into radical islamist schools in Pakistan and other countries to use these extremist radicals in their fight against Communism. They even would train these radicals in the Balkans. They also are all U.S. trained.

So yes, Islam radicalism is used as a political tool.

In my Modern Islamic History class this morning, we talked about this for a couple minutes. A classmate and someone who used to be in the military likened killing Osama to going after General Mills and killing Tony the Tiger.

In my Modern Islamic History class this morning, we talked about this for a couple minutes. A classmate and someone who used to be in the military likened killing Osama to going after General Mills and killing Tony the Tiger.

Back
Top Bottom