"OTHER BRAND" - RUNNING shoe thread - asics, saucony, new balance, hoka one one, adidas, reebok, brooks, altra, skechers, etc...

via IG

IMG_2739.jpeg

I really want all these three (for their soles)!

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2736.jpeg

Looking for feedback on the original Prime X not the Strung. I found a new pair for below $150 shipped and am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on them.

Looking for feedback on the original Prime X not the Strung. I found a new pair for below $150 shipped and am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on them.
overall perception was that the upper was pretty bad combined with the stack height, lacked lockdown, caused blisters etc. You can probably find the strung for a few bucks higher or patiently wait for adidas random 50 off sales

overall perception was that the upper was pretty bad combined with the stack height, lacked lockdown, caused blisters etc. You can probably find the strung for a few bucks higher or patiently wait for adidas random 50 off sales
Thanks. I think I’ll hold off to see if prices come down for the Strung version as it looks like the Strung version 2 is releasing in August.

Prime X without the Strung upper was one of the most terrifying shoes I've ever used, it was incredibly unstable to the point that I felt like I was risking injury every time I ran in them. Strung improves this significantly but it is still not a stable shoe and wouldn't use it on anything other than flat surfaces. Even turning is a little bit treacherous and requires you to think about what you're doing. Strung v2 looks substantially more stable in the heel, not nearly the approach of an extreme bevel on a narrow tall platform that plagued v1.

Cross posted since I’ll need some new shoes - 4E at that. Currently using some Invincible 2s

Just signed up for the 2024 Chevron Houston Marathon.

Will be my first full since 2016 (damn, that’s a long time ago) but my times were pretty bad. Have a goal in mind of under 4:00.

Recently have ran 2 half marathons with a time of 1:35 and 1:32 - what are some good training regimens? I could also use the help with nutrition.

As of now I laid off of running for bit just 7 mile runs 2x a week for the past year. Sprinkle some really low intensity 10 milers here and there. Keep in mind in Houston it’s 100+ degrees as well.

My main issue with previous training cycles for marathons were I would get burnt out a month away from the marathon. I’d run a 18-20 miler and just stop running cold turkey. Plus back then, I’d just run to run, no real training just run by feel and tbh just go at it without any steady state or slow endurance running. Also I never ran with anything - no gels, food, or water - just drink from water fountains along the way or during a race drink water/eat food that’s handed out.

Cross posted since I’ll need some new shoes - 4E at that. Currently using some Invincible 2s

Just signed up for the 2024 Chevron Houston Marathon.

Will be my first full since 2016 (damn, that’s a long time ago) but my times were pretty bad. Have a goal in mind of under 4:00.

Recently have ran 2 half marathons with a time of 1:35 and 1:32 - what are some good training regimens? I could also use the help with nutrition.

As of now I laid off of running for bit just 7 mile runs 2x a week for the past year. Sprinkle some really low intensity 10 milers here and there. Keep in mind in Houston it’s 100+ degrees as well.

My main issue with previous training cycles for marathons were I would get burnt out a month away from the marathon. I’d run a 18-20 miler and just stop running cold turkey. Plus back then, I’d just run to run, no real training just run by feel and tbh just go at it without any steady state or slow endurance running. Also I never ran with anything - no gels, food, or water - just drink from water fountains along the way or during a race drink water/eat food that’s handed out.

with your HM time, you should be pretty solid at attaining the sub 4 full.

i think you found the issue with your previous experience and it would just have to be doing the long slow easy runs in your training and sprinkling in those higher effort/speedy sessions at least once a week. i would also recommend your training block not be too long (i typically have marathon training go on for about 2 months with tapering on lower easy miles happen about 2 weeks out). as for nutrition/hydration, everyone's a bit different so you'll just have to test it out and see how your body reacts to gels on long runs and how much fluids you need along with making sure you fuel yourself properly prior to your runs.

its a lot of trial and error imo when it comes to training, but its all part of the fun in the sport to me. good luck!

via the NRC App

NRC July 2023 Incentive.PNG

About to go in with my four accounts! LOL It's the perfect time to end my running hiatus.

Last edited:
Prime X without the Strung upper was one of the most terrifying shoes I've ever used, it was incredibly unstable to the point that I felt like I was risking injury every time I ran in them. Strung improves this significantly but it is still not a stable shoe and wouldn't use it on anything other than flat surfaces. Even turning is a little bit treacherous and requires you to think about what you're doing. Strung v2 looks substantially more stable in the heel, not nearly the approach of an extreme bevel on a narrow tall platform that plagued v1.

I've used the Prime X Strung during a downhill half (2k feet drop) and didn't have any issues. For reference novablast 1 is one of my favorite shoes of all time though

I’ve we been a long time runner and only in Nike. I decided to branch out recently and picked up the SC Trainer 1 and the Superblast. I’ve been enjoying both.

I’m looking to add one more shoe to my rotation and trying to decide between the Novablast 3 and the Boston 12.

I’m a forefoot striker and I supinate and am leaning toward the Boston. I haven’t seen any feedback on the Boston 12 but would appreciate any thoughts if you’ve worn them.

I’ve we been a long time runner and only in Nike. I decided to branch out recently and picked up the SC Trainer 1 and the Superblast. I’ve been enjoying both.

I’m looking to add one more shoe to my rotation and trying to decide between the Novablast 3 and the Boston 12.

I’m a forefoot striker and I supinate and am leaning toward the Boston. I haven’t seen any feedback on the Boston 12 but would appreciate any thoughts if you’ve worn them.

Boston 12 would be good for your mechanics, it tends to guide my foot towards the big toe on toe off, naturally counteracting my tendency to supinate on toe off. Also, the Lightstrike Pro is deepest at the forefoot of the shoe which would be beneficial if you’re landing there more often as a forefoot striker.

Boston 12 would be good for your mechanics, it tends to guide my foot towards the big toe on toe off, naturally counteracting my tendency to supinate on toe off. Also, the Lightstrike Pro is deepest at the forefoot of the shoe which would be beneficial if you’re landing there more often as a forefoot striker.
On an unrelated note, the Boston 12 is sooo much better than the 10 (skipped the 11 because of the 10).

Reviews have been good so far on Boston 12.
You can grab Boston 12 with 30% off using "celebrate" code on ADC
1688321003495.png

just hoping the boston 12 follows the trend of past bostons and i'll grab like 3 pairs for $60 each
It's nothing like the 8 and 9, which feel like racing flats, but is noticeably more comfortable and flexible than the 10 and 11. If anything, it falls in between the 9 and 10 in terms of stack, weight and flexibility.

It's nothing like the 8 and 9, which feel like racing flats, but is noticeably more comfortable and flexible than the 10 and 11. If anything, it falls in between the 9 and 10 in terms of stack, weight and flexibility.

the last boston i bought was the 8 actually. amazing shoe. i went 1/2 size down in the adios 3 and takumi sen 8. is it the same for this shoe?

Last edited:
Ran in the Mach X this morning-feels a little less aggressive than the Deviate Nitro 2 and Endorphin Speed 3, more of a very efficient shoe with the pebax top layer and EVA bottom layer. Plate feels similar to the Speed's nylon plate but overall the shoe is quite stable and enjoyable. A lot of stack here that is very protective and should be an incredible steady/long shoe. While the Deviate/Speed 3 are more aggressive for tempos, this has its own place and almost feels more like a Boston 12/SC Trainer/Superblast competitor.

machx.jpg

Ran in the Mach X this morning-feels a little less aggressive than the Deviate Nitro 2 and Endorphin Speed 3, more of a very efficient shoe with the pebax top layer and EVA bottom layer. Plate feels similar to the Speed's nylon plate but overall the shoe is quite stable and enjoyable. A lot of stack here that is very protective and should be an incredible steady/long shoe. While the Deviate/Speed 3 are more aggressive for tempos, this has its own place and almost feels more like a Boston 12/SC Trainer/Superblast competitor.

machx.jpg
A lot of reviews just came out for the Kinvara Pro. I’m curious how they stack up.

A lot of reviews just came out for the Kinvara Pro. I’m curious how they stack up.

The "Super Trainer" segment with a lot of these shoes having race day tech is certainly becoming a crowded field. Based on what I've seen the Kinvara Pro seems to be another ounce heavier than the Mach X and the reviews seem to say it's better for easier paces. Mach X felt quite versatile and good doing almost anything from easy to marathon pace today for me.

Planning to order the Color Injection NVB3s with AMEX $15 off $75 offer.
IMG_3956.jpeg

Too bad they reduced the med discount to 30% off now.

IMG_3959.jpeg

The Nimbus 25 and Noosa Tri 15 in the same colorway family have me interested too! Has has anyone tried either of these yet for comparison?

Nimbus
IMG_3961.jpeg

Noosa
IMG_3960.jpeg

Planning to order the Color Injection NVB3s with AMEX $15 off $75 offer.
IMG_3956.jpeg

Too bad they reduced the med discount to 30% off now.

IMG_3959.jpeg

The Nimbus 25 and Noosa Tri 15 in the same colorway family have me interested too! Has has anyone tried either of these yet for comparison?

Nimbus
IMG_3961.jpeg

Noosa
IMG_3960.jpeg

I’ve run in the Nimbus, to be honest I didn’t love it as it felt clunky/heavy to me and really only usable at very slow paces. It was very soft and deeply cushioned but that cushion is tuned more for softness than energy return. It’s hard to believe the formulation of FF Blast+ that’s in the Novablast 3 and Nimbus are the same foam, but perhaps Asics tinkered with it for each use case

I’ve run in the Nimbus, to be honest I didn’t love it as it felt clunky/heavy to me and really only usable at very slow paces. It was very soft and deeply cushioned but that cushion is tuned more for softness than energy return. It’s hard to believe the formulation of FF Blast+ that’s in the Novablast 3 and Nimbus are the same foam, but perhaps Asics tinkered with it for each use case

Maybe I'll pass on them now. :frown: I think the FF Blast Foam in each respective model is actually different. The NVB3 has regular FF Blast+, while the Nimbus has an "ECO" version/formulation. It seems to be a similar situation to Nike's regular ZOOMX versus Next Nature ZOOMX (scraps).

The NVB3 has proven itself worthy of my moneyz. Really curious about the Tri Noosa 15s. They have regular FF Blast.

Back
Top Bottom