Pacquiao is willing to agree to Mayweather's drug testing terms! vol. lets get ready to RUMBLE!!!

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao has budged. The Filipino champion is now willing to agree to Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s previous cut-off date for a random Olympic-style drug testing protocol. Earlier this year, the two sides failed to reach an agreement for a March mega-fight. The issue of random drug testing was the root cause for the failed negotiations.

The two fighters were unable to agree on the cut-off date for the blood tests. Mayweather wanted a 14-day cut-off on the tests, while Pacquiao wanted the random drug testing protocol to end 24-days before the fight. Now Pacquiao is willing to meet Mayweather's number.

"I am willing to help the sport for the future of the sport. I do not want to see anyone cheat or cheat this sport. For that reason I am willing to consider taking blood as close as 14 days prior to the fight, as long as, my opponent does the same, and it is not a lot of blood, just enough to test," Pacquiao said in a statement on his official website, mpboxing.com .

"I do not want anyone having an unfair advantage where someone may get hurt. I am willing to do my part to help this sport out."

Pacquiao has not yet watched Mayweather's domination of Shane Mosley, but plans to watch the fight very soon. He also agreed to take a blood test immediately after the fight was over.

Nothing is set in stone. The next time the two fighters meet at the negotiating table, Mayweather might issue a demand for a smaller cut-off date or he might even make a demand for the testing to continue until the fight.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/boxing/05/03/pacquiao.mayweather.testing/index.html

Isn't that still enough time to take some stuff afterwards and have it effect your body before the fight? Pacquiao needs to just man up, scared of needles...come on now, doesnt he have tattoos?

Mayweathers want olympic testing up to the day before the fight just like the same testing as Shane.

that 14 day crap was a compromise they were willing to take back then. I bet money that is no longer on the table considering how smoothly the WADA testing with with both mayweather and Mosley.

[h2]
[h2]Arum refutes quote claiming that Pacquiao will bend on testing stance [/h2]
Picture_1_tiny.png
by SC on May 4, 2010 2:53 AM EDT in News Analysis
comment.v1599.png
33 comments

Bob Arum says that Manny Pacquiao won't budge on the same stances they had before when it comes to fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

View full size photo »

Ronnie Nathanielsz reports that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says the Manny Pacquiao quotes from yesterday were fake, and that the fighter has not decided to soften his stance when it comes to drug testing to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year.

Nathanielsz says that Arum stated their side would hold firm on no less than 24 days for the final random testing before any possible fight with Mayweather. They also won't budge on the previously agreed-upon 50-50 split.

Frankly, this may be a bit of damage control by Arum, who could feel that bending on one issue means bending on several, but we'll figure that out soon enough.

Arum also offered up possible "other" fights for Pacquiao this autumn, as the fighter plans to return in September or November, depending upon if he wins (November) or loses (September) his upcoming election in the Philippines. Arum, as everyone expected, brought up Antonio Margarito first, and a 150-pound rematch for a possible 154-pound title should Miguel Cotto beat Yuri Foreman in June. Margarito fights Roberto Garcia on Saturday at 154 pounds in a fight that really has not drummed up any significant interest among boxing fans. Arum and Top Rank may be hoping that time heals the wound, but it doesn't seem to me that that's happening in this case.

The possible Cotto rematch reeks. Miguel was soundly beaten the first time around and I don't think anybody has any desire to shell out $55-65 to see that again. Bumping it up to 150 pounds adds no real intrigue. Pacquiao is better than Cotto and proved it the first time around. I don't think that Emanuel Steward training Cotto is going to make him any better able to handle Pacquiao's speed, which was the killer last time out. It's also a blatant and transparent cherry-pick at another title in another division, one that would have no real validity whatsoever. I'm not saying Cotto isn't still a good fighter, but Pacquiao beating a guy he's already mauled at a catchweight for another belt is just too much. I don't think that fight would anywhere near the business it did the first time around. In fact, I don't know that it would meet what Pacquiao-Clottey did. At least that was an unknown. This is a very well known.

To be honest, I find it irritating that these sides are talking about other fights. It's somewhat of an insult to the boxing public, which has paid good money to support these two fighters over the years, and has played a huge role in building them into the stars they are today. This would be kind of like the Cavs and Lakers making the NBA finals and deciding to not play one another, but play two different series instead and then both claim to be the best when they win.

Negotiating a fight this big is obviously complex. There are so many things to worry about. But when you get right down to it, no fight in the last 25 years (at least) has needed to happen more than this one needs to happen. I am not saying boxing will "die," because boxing will never die. I am saying that the strides made in the last five-to-seven years to make better fights and make more of them available at least to your average HBO or Showtime subscriber would take a blow. I already have the constant fear that PPV successes are going to lead to too many fights on PPV again, shutting out the folks who don't have tons of disposable cash (or aren't as stupid as a guy like me, buying them all), and thus limiting the audience significantly.

Sometimes people comment on posts where I talk about boxing business with "Hey, I don't care, so long as (x) happens!" But that's the thing: (x) stops happening when the people in charge start screwing up too much. It has happened before. Boxing has been an industry proven to be reluctant if not deathly afraid of major change. The July 31 PPV fight between Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz is a really good fight, the Fight of the Year in 2009. But on PPV? Who's going to BUY a Juan Diaz fight? He has never headlined a pay-per-view in his life, and they're expecting fans to shell out $50 to do so after two straight so-so performances against Paul Malignaggi.

As I begin to trail off into foreign territory, here's where I try to jump back on the tracks. If Mayweather-Pacquiao doesn't happen, something's wrong. Something's wrong with one or both of the fighters, or more likely, something is deadly wrong again with the way the promoters see the sport. I get asked sometimes why a fight like Marquez-Diaz II doesn't go on, say, a Mayweather-Mosley-type undercard. It's simple: the promoters can spread those two fights out and make money. The only fights that go on undercards are the ones they can't make any real money off of elsewhere. Where was Daniel Ponce de Leon-Cornelius Lock going to get the turnstiles moving?

So you could be looking at a situation where everyone is saying, "Well we could fight this guy for huge money, or keep it going elsewhere and add that money up over a few, less risky fights." Mayweather and Pacquaio are in no danger of not making money any time soon. And while it's way too early in Negotiation #2 (if there is to be real negotiation) to say that anyone is doing that, these zebras aren't going to change their stripes any time soon. I have significant doubts that anything really comes out differently than it did before. We've already had Mayweather-Sergio Martinez floated out there, and now Arum is talking about different fights for Pacquiao.

If either one of these fighters wants to talk about legacy or pleasing the fans, they should know that not fighting each other is to the great disapproval of the fans and to the detriment of their respective legacies. They're both going to the Hall of Fame. It is locked up. All that is REALLY left for either of them is to fight each other. Anything else is padding or icing on the cake.

ohwell.gif
[/h2]

I dont really believe much coming from the Pac camp

he said he didnt watch the fight, but isnt there an article in another thread where he says he saw the fight?

There's no way he didn't watch the fight. Point is, I stand firm on my stance that this fight will never happen. Especially if they're going to stick to a 50/50 split. After those PPV numbers come out on Thursday, Floyd is never going to take a 50/50 split on the fight. Like Gunna said, the testing went very smoothly with Mosley. It just reinforces the fact that there may be something there that certain people don't want to come to light.

If Pac doesn't agree to the terms, I have no idea how anybody can defend him anymore.

If this fight doesn't happen, I'm done with boxing. There needs to be a sanctioned commission that has a ranking/seeding system and FORCES boxers to fight. This dodging, money/politics bull %$+% is ruining the sport.

Originally Posted by j1mmych0o

"I am willing to help the sport for the future of the sport. I do not want to see anyone cheat or cheat this sport. For that reason I am willing to consider taking blood as close as 14 days prior to the fight, as long as, my opponent does the same, and it is not a lot of blood, just enough to test," Pacquiao said in a statement on his official website, mpboxing.com .

"I do not want anyone having an unfair advantage where someone may get hurt. I am willing to do my part to help this sport out."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/boxing/05/03/pacquiao.mayweather.testing/index.html
That's perfect English. Manny didn't say nor write that. 
laugh.gif

I'm not a boxing expert so maybe someone can clue me in.
Didn't Pacquiao agree to drug testing after the fight? Why isn't that enough?
If Pacquiao does take some enhancement drugs, wouldn't they find out afterwards with that test?

Again, I am not an expert in boxing or drugs used in sports so that is a legitimate question, not a homer sarcastic remark.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

If Pac doesn't agree to the terms, I have no idea how anybody can defend him anymore.

If this fight doesn't happen, I'm done with boxing. There needs to be a sanctioned commission that has a ranking/seeding system and FORCES boxers to fight. This dodging, money/politics bull %$+% is ruining the sport.
laugh.gif
 the funny thing is they have four sanctioning bodies that do that.  Problem 1 is that they're all corrupt.  Problem 2 is that they can't force PBF to fight Manny or vice versa.  Manny is the champion, they couldn't force him to fight anyone unless it was someone who has won a few fights in a row and becomes a mandatory challenger.  PBF is not viewed as a "challenger" by any of the four bodies.  It's EXTREMELY confusing to try and explain how those bodies work and stuff
laugh.gif

This isnt going to happen - and if it does Mayweather will smash.

Ive seen enough to know hes too damn good/quick/relentless

At this point I'm not really interested anymore. This testing can't be that big of a deal.

I don't care about the terms or any finger pointing. This fight NEEDS to happen. Boxing needs it. This is the culmination of two all-time greats, if they don't fight now, then I'll be very very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom