not only that
when they turn 13
make them an authorized user on a credit card or 2 of urs
that way when they turn 18
they will have some credit history
and will have a great score
starting off
make sure its a great card with low utilization though :lol:

Definitely. It's baffling how much people don't save of start early for their kids

Don't have to save hundreds. Even as little as $25 helps. Over
yeah but lets be real though
$25 may not seem like a lot to u
or me
but to that single mother
who works 1-2 jobs
across town
that takes the bus and/or train
to work
that has to put food on the table
$25 could be groceries for her child that week
could be her fare to get to and from work
more people in this country or close to that scenario
than most folks realize
so i cant fault folks for that
but me
my job is to make sure MY kids
and any kid that i can talk to about this topic
doesnt fall into that trap

I live wit my parents since my mom dont work and my dad barely makes enough. So its wierd cuz I live well below my means. I give my mom money to handle groceries and some Bill's, my dad handles rent and other Bill's. Still live in a small apartment but I'm stacking major bread with my jobs tda account as well as my own savings acct. Got some crypto and stocks as well so I think I'm setting my self up pretty nice long term while I can. Only downfall is I feel like I'm still 12 living with my parents :lol:

I live wit my parents since my mom dont work and my dad barely makes enough. So its wierd cuz I live well below my means. I give my mom money to handle groceries and some Bill's, my dad handles rent and other Bill's. Still live in a small apartment but I'm stacking major bread with my jobs tda account as well as my own savings acct. Got some crypto and stocks as well so I think I'm setting my self up pretty nice long term while I can. Only downfall is I feel like I'm still 12 living with my parents :lol:
aint nothing wrong with that

i think it's ridiculous that these kids get kicked out of the house at 18... like wtf?

they aint got no credit, they aint got much if any work experience, and they're probably dumb as ****...

i encourage people to live with their parents so they can establish a foundation first

aint nothing wrong with that

i think it's ridiculous that these kids get kicked out of the house at 18... like wtf?

they aint got no credit, they aint got much if any work experience, and they're probably dumb as ****...

i encourage people to live with their parents so they can establish a foundation first

For whatever reason black folks take pride in kicking our kids out or charging them rent as soon as they hit that number.

Last edited:
I love my independence, but my mom has always held the stance that I could live with her rent-free as long as I felt necessary.

I could've saved up over six figures if I took her up on that when I decided to move out. I'd love to be able to post a :smh: over that, but there are some things worth more than what money affords.

life is tough
especially being black
and sometimes we go extra legnths to be tough on them
to prepare them
not saying its right or wrong
but thats usually what happens
I feel like there are ways to prepare your children for the harsh realities of life that allow them to time to prepare themselves financially before completely cutting them off.

I'm not black though, so feel free to chime in as to where I could be wrong.

I feel like there are ways to prepare your children for the harsh realities of life that allow them to time to prepare themselves financially before completely cutting them off.

I'm not black though, so feel free to chime in as to where I could be wrong.
i dont think them paying rent
is cutting them off though
i think its CAN be
a good way for them to learn to budget

i think its CAN be

If a kid is going to school at 18, no reason they should be paying. That's too much pressure on an 18 year old. 21? Sure. That's reasonable. 18? Nah. Society puts too much stock in that number.

i think its CAN be
Yeah you're correct there as long as the rent is proportional to what they're taking in. If you're living in a household where you're making money, it's only fair that you contribute SOMETHING. If the parent allows the kid to live rent-free with no financial obligations, that's on them.

I'm talking about cutting them off completely. I just don't see the virtue in that from either end.

If a kid is going to school at 18, no reason they should be paying. That's too much pressure on an 18 year old. 21? Sure. That's reasonable. 18? Nah. Society puts too much stock in that number.
whose to say
pressure is different for some people
why is it acceptable for a kid to pay his own cellphone
im sure u dont have a issue with that
he giving money to a company for that
but he cant help his fam and pay $150 to his/her parents for rent
i could understand what ur saying if they like
"nah son u gotta pay half"
but i think 100-200 is reasonable
depending on the situation

Lack of financial literacy and education also matters. Too many people make dumb decisions or have no idea what to do with the money they do have. Too many seeking instant gratification or trying to look cool on instagram. Too many people ignorant about how and why to invest. How many people on this site own Nike's and how many own shares of Nike ?

Brokerage account gang.

Yeah you're correct there as long as the rent is proportional to what they're taking in. If you're living in a household where you're making money, it's only fair that you contribute SOMETHING. If the parent allows the kid to live rent-free with no financial obligations, that's on them.

I'm talking about cutting them off completely. I just don't see the virtue in that from either end.
i agree cutting them off completely is wild
could only see that happening in EXTREME circumstances

whose to say
pressure is different for some people
why is it acceptable for a kid to pay his own cellphone
im sure u dont have a issue with that
he giving money to a company for that
but he cant help his fam and pay $150 to his/her parents for rent
i could understand what ur saying if they like
"nah son u gotta pay half"
but i think 100-200 is reasonable
depending on the situation

$100 to $200 is fine but from what I hear other people have to deal with, along with the same ole stories we always hear, it isn't happening like that in most cases. Parent expect too much from a kid who was 17 one day and 18 the next. An 18yo is still a kid .

Back
Top Bottom