Paying for a car in cash. How much % discount should I expect?

I'm looking for a 05-07 E-Class or 5 Series if it matters. Just wondering how much I should expect to get knocked off. and anyone have any other bargainingtips?

Thanks

Originally Posted by nicefro

Depends on how much the car you're looking at is. More details?

I'm looking for a used 5 Series or E Class in the 20K-25K range. Economy is bad, and dealers must be hurting for sales, so I must get some kind of gooddeal?

Don't let them know your paying cash upfront. Tell them your not gonna put ANYTHING down and just go off the numbers based on the finance of your creditscore. Than after you see the payments THAN tell them your gonna be putting [insert money here] down or paying full in cash and they'll def give you abetter deal. You gotta play hardball with these kats and you must always be in control of the situation.

If you really going to pay in cash pay it in cash. Not a check or some bs. Do it like a boss.

This is not a serious comment.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Don't let them know your paying cash upfront. Tell them your not gonna put ANYTHING down and just go off the numbers based on the finance of your credit score. Than after you see the payments THAN tell them your gonna be putting [insert money here] down or paying full in cash and they'll def give you a better deal. You gotta play hardball with these kats and you must always be in control of the situation.

QFT.

are you looking for serious answers or was this thread to boast that you have 20-25 stacks cash
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by GULLYDAGREAT

are you looking for serious answers or was this thread to boast that you have 20-25 stacks cash
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
Absolutely not, 20-25 K isn't that much anyway. There's a lot of cats on here who have way longer bread. I did not even mention my pricerange until I was asked. Just trying to find ways to get the best deal.

Dealers won't give you a deal because you're paying in cash, they actually rather have you finance.

how old are you ... i would think you would want to finance the car and just pay if off quicker to help build your credit rather than just dropping a briefcaseof bread on the table

dealers HATE cash. they dont want to give you a discount. thats not how they make money. they make money off financing. APR rates. when i worked at adealership and people said "well i have cash now, can i get a discount?" i would immediately say no. they dont want cash, so dont even mention ituntil the end of the deal.

cash is only king in private sales.

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

dealers HATE cash. they dont want to give you a discount. thats not how they make money. they make money off financing. APR rates. when i worked at a dealership and people said "well i have cash now, can i get a discount?" i would immediately say no. they dont want cash, so dont even mention it until the end of the deal.

listen to this guy.

What you can do is get a great deal financed and just pay it off the next month

dealers HATE cash. they dont want to give you a discount. thats not how they make money. they make money off financing. APR rates. when i worked at a dealership and people said "well i have cash now, can i get a discount?" i would immediately say no. they dont want cash, so dont even mention it until the end of the deal.

thats not true at all...you will usually get a lower price if you say youre paying in cash. and it private sales it doesnt even matter if itscash or loan because regardless the private seller gets paid in full.

QFT. i tried to buy my dad's camry with pure $$$, dealer just straight up said "We dont get any profits by accepting cash, we make money off of APRand such"

Originally Posted by BgL2687

thats not true at all...you will usually get a lower price if you say youre paying in cash. and it private sales it doesnt even matter if its cash or loan because regardless the private seller gets paid in full.
well it was true at the bmw/mini dealership i worked at. you been to a dealership in 2009? the economy is crap, cars arent worth poop, and NO ONEis making money. the only way to do it is to sell cars for 19,999, make the buyer thing they are getting a car for "under 20k" and not tell themabout thet 8.9% finance rate over 72 months on their "zero down", and tax and license fees.

and dont forget about their trade that they are upside down 5 to 7 grand on..

trust me, ive been there, ive seen it, and it aint pretty.

i have always heard that paying in cash will not improve the deal...dealers get kick backs from banks when financing is involved....so they make money from thesale, then make money from the bank in which they get you to finance through.
If you pay cash, you take the money they make on financing out of the equation....expecting them to lower their profits on the sale would also result in a badmove on their part...
Time of month and sales numbers will drive the type of deal they will be willing to make....that along with the particular vehicle you are interested in, andhow long they have had it on their lot...most dealerships do not like to keep pre-owned inventory longer than 30 days...
I would work the best deal you can, with some sort of down-payment offer (this will help you leverage for a better deal, as they will know you are a seriousbuyer)...and if your credit score allows for it, get the financing they can work you into, then pay off the vehicle through the bank immediately.....
-sf77

Originally Posted by BgL2687

thats not true at all...you will usually get a lower price if you say youre paying in cash. and it private sales it doesnt even matter if its cash or loan because regardless the private seller gets paid in full.
well it was true at the bmw/mini dealership i worked at. you been to a dealership in 2009? the economy is crap, cars arent worth poop, and NO ONE is making money. the only way to do it is to sell cars for 19,999, make the buyer thing they are getting a car for "under 20k" and not tell them about thet 8.9% finance rate over 72 months on their "zero down", and tax and license fees.

and dont forget about their trade that they are upside down 5 to 7 grand on..

trust me, ive been there, ive seen it, and it aint pretty.
I'm 21 and I don't know my exact credit score, but it's probably about average. What's the best way to go about it? Can I pay halfof it up front and then finance for 6 months??

use your parents credit because they will most likely have good credit. they might catch you with some high rates if your credit isnt all that.

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

use your parents credit because they will most likely have good credit. they might catch you with some high rates if your credit isnt all that.

I don't like this idea. How is he supposed to build his credit for the future if it's not under his name?

My friend just payed off his shelby gt and it's like he never paid for it because it was under his moms name.

Originally Posted by socluis90

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

I don't like this idea. How is he supposed to build his credit for the future if it's not under his name?

My friend just payed off his shelby gt and it's like he never paid for it because it was under his moms name.

but if he pays the car off at once he isnt building credit regardless

Back
Top Bottom