PayPal Scam Help

What's up guys, didn't know where else to post this... Looking for some advice on a situation I have. I'll keep it short.

Spoke to a guy via facebook group, told me he had some kicks to sell, gave me a good price. I asked for tagged pics and he had an abundance of them. Gave him a description written out to include in the PayPal invoice and he did all of that and sends me the invoice.

On receipt, I see the account belongs to someone with an entirely different name. He tells me that it is his business partner. I have dealt with customers and sellers who have used paypal accounts belonging to their mom, dad, brother, sister, friend, nephew, and so on. Never had a problem, so I didn't think twice.

I placed the payment using my Visa credit card through paypal.

15 minutes after I send the payment, someone sends me a message saying that he has been scamming people through many different names.

My question to you guys is, I do not want to wait until I receive a box of peanuts or nothing at all. How do I jump on top of this and end this scam before it even happens.

I placed the payment tonight about an hour ago.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should I jump straight to a claim, call PayPal, call Citi (my CC company)? I have never gotten scammed before but I have read all the stories. I'm asking for you guys to just give me some advice on how to close this scam quickly and effectively. I do not wish to wait for the 45 days to pass before something happens, but if that is the only choice I have then so be it. LMK guys!

Thanks.

Well yeah... I messed up, just looking for some advice. I'd like to know the best way to approach it now. Trust me, if I could go back in time and not do it, I would.

You won't have to wait 45 days. If he doesn't respond within a week, they automatically side with you.

Since he is technically yet to scam you, I don't think you can do anything yet.

Just wait it out and you'll be good.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to try and contact him tomorrow and see how he wants to play this out after I confront him. Maybe he will just refund it back to me............ :rolleyes :smile:

you paid with credit card, your covered. file a chargeback

Should I do this immediately or wait a couple of days? I don't really have any evidence yet that he has tried to scam me, besides the person i talked to on FB. Will my CC company automatically rule in my favor if I were to file a chargeback right now without any solid evidence (lack of shipment, wrong product, etc.) ? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

you paid with credit card, your covered. file a chargeback
Should I do this immediately or wait a couple of days? I don't really have any evidence yet that he has tried to scam me, besides the person i talked to on FB. Will my CC company automatically rule in my favor if I were to file a chargeback right now without any solid evidence (lack of shipment, wrong product, etc.) ? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Wait a couple of days so the likelihood of you getting scammed increases.

As long as you didn't pay as gift then you are fine! Also video tape you opening whatever it is that you get in the mail. I know this may sound extreme but I have won so many disputes because I always do this. I delete the video is there are no problems, but if someone tries to scam me then it's go time.

YouTube
Upload
Send to PayPal
Win dispute :smokin

As long as you didn't pay as gift then you are fine! Also video tape you opening whatever it is that you get in the mail. I know this may sound extreme but I have won so many disputes because I always do this. I delete the video is there are no problems, but if someone tries to scam me then it's go time.
YouTube
Upload
Send to PayPal

good advice right here, totally didn't think of doing that. good looks!

YouTube
Upload
Send to PayPal

Great advice.

I called Citi and they said to just wait til the transaction is POSTED (2-3 business days) onto my bill. Then they will proceed with filing a chargeback, "temporarily" crediting my account and proceed with an investigation.

Paypal offered no advice, just told me to wait a couple of days before filing a dispute... :smh:

YouTube
Upload
Send to PayPal

wrong, paypal would not accept the recorded opening of box as proof for a transaction that is being disputed. they have no way of proving the validity of vids or pics. the only time they would consider that is if it was a high dollar transaction (thousands) and if their legal department was involved (which they arent for most (99.9%) disputes)

Back
Top Bottom