Performance Review: Nike Air Max LeBron VII

its phylon. if it was cushlon it would have a much softer feel to it a la the air max 2009.

The shoe is good, the only thing is the grip, i feel like in all indoor courts the shoe is alittle slippery . Comfort is great tho and ankle support is good. I wear mines to practice and the only thing is i slide around when it comes to drills lol!

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Originally Posted by ALPHAPROJECT

Well, actually, to clear all of this up, Max IS better for LeBron right now for one main reason- protection. The new airbag offers a level of engineered protection over the entire footstrike that zoom in its current configuration cannot offer. LeBron most definitely loves the new setup, otherwise he wouldn't wear it. Zoom has its place, and will be used when necessary, it is a great technology, but the cushioning it provides is vastly different than air max. Zoom has benefits max does not, and max has benefits that zoom does not, so they should be utilized in ways that serve the athlete's needs best in any given situation. Nike always innovates and looks for better solutions for its athletes, no way it would be on the floor if it wasnt player tested and approved...
@KenJi714 - see? Nice work backpedaling and making it about serious hoopers, but that wasn't what you said. What you said was Zoom is perfect for Bron. And seeing as how you've never met the man, let alone designed a shoe for him, I called you out. Then ALPHAPROJECT came and said the exact same thing. That makes you completely wrong.

Do I even play basketball?
eek.gif
Fall back your own self, thinking I'm some collector. Here's how IN I'm trying to be - I've never bought a Jordan shoe or a Bron shoe. I didn't get any pairs of Kobe IV. I don't wear AF1s or Dunks. That sound like a collector to you?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I highly doubted Lebron choose Max over Zoom although aguy 260 lbs like him won't feel much of a different moving from full zoom to Max. I still stick with my opinion that full length or double stack Zoom isperfect for Lebron. Quote me if you want . If the VIII have full length max again then i'm wrong but if the VIII return with Zoom Air then i'm right.Nike has the upperhand when it come to selling their shoes too. As for as Zombie Jesus. You don't need to buy af1, dunks or jordan to be a collector
laugh.gif
. And since you said you never bought a pair of Bron, that basicallycancel all your opinions/knowledge about the Bron line
laugh.gif

This cat has an 8 inch vertical and HE'S trying to clown on AlphaProject?  Homie, play a real game with a few elite athletes and then you can comment...
roll.gif

i have the all black colorway and havent had any trouble at all with the traction.

Thanks, I kinda figured that. Its the translucent part of the sole; the red part in that colorway. I've stayed away from that particular colorway on purpose because translucent rubber wears away faster and becomes slick, leading to traction problems. I've experienced this personally with the Jordan XIX, 16.5, AM 360 BB which all suffer from this. I've just purchased the Black/Black colorway and plan to get the Black/White/Gold releasing in Feb.

I would advise staying away from translucent soles if desiring great traction if at all possible. Another shoe which just came out which I'm considering with seemingly excellent traction is the CP3.III; which besides CP3 I've already seen Mike Bibby wearing.

@ bionic3 nice! yeah im def waiting on that pair in feb as well... imma get the all black ones once the price drop cuz no one buying them in philly, u think its the same for the white and blue ones?

@theairupthere85 Of the LB 7 already out, the following have translucent soles:

- White/Black/Red: Red area of the sole is translucent
- White/Green (More Than A Game): Green area of sole
- White/Gold (China): Gold area of sole
- Red/Black (Christmas): Red area of sole
- White/Black/Teal (Red Carpets): Teal area of sole

Those LB 7s which have NO translucent soles:

- White/Blue/Gold
- White/Red (Lux leather upper)
- Black/White/Gold (coming soon 2/6 or 2/16 I've heard)

Hope that helps. There is also nikelebron.net with all sorts of additional information and photos.

Is there any solid consensus on the traction on these? I have read anywhere from not too great to great.

I don't think there is any consensus. I'm not sure how many on the tread have played a lot in their LB7s yet, but let me give my two cents.

Yesterday morning I went to pick up the black/white/gold from NT SF. I'm 6'2 235 and I then went directly over to a gym (the first of two for the day) and did some warmups, then shot around, then played a game of 2-on-2 to finish; overall about 2 hours of court time. In terms of traction, the LB7s (again this colorway has NO translucent areas on the sole) performed quite well. The traction was good and inspired confidence when cutting and in first step authority (by this I mean my confidence driving opposed to shooting, and overall activity level just picked up out there on the court). My main concern about this shoe coming in was the LeBron-centric outsole pattern would do more to take away from good traction than add to it. I was wrong and can see despite the unique design the foundation of the outsole patter is still largely herringbone; the pattern which thrives significantly above all else. The pattern in this implementation did the trick; quite good to see when it would have been easy for the LB7 design team to try something totally different and in contrast to traditional herringbone.

I then went to another gym later that day, and noticed a guy I would estimate in the range of 6'3 maybe 210-215 playing several full court games in the LB7 white/red colorway. This player was very good from 3, and great getting to the key any time he wanted. He was driving a good deal of the time, so first step quickness was probably not a problem. Lateral movement defensively was also not a problem. He wasn't getting the squeaky sounds typical of a exceptional traction pattern, but was very precise in his movements and didn't have trouble doing anything he wanted to do. In watching this guy play in the shoes, they looked to really help him. I would also say he was probably one of the 2 or 3 best players on the court at all times if that helps kinda frame his abilities around his performance in the shoe.

Back to my personal experience earlier in the day, I also thought the overall sole platform felt more natural to the foot than what I've come to expect out of a 360 air shoe. By this I mean less overall height from sole to top of air bag, especially in the forefoot, yet more coverage all the way around of air max from heel to toe. This pretty much jives with the "80% more air..." claim, just much better distributed for basketball-specific activities. While there was some disconnect with the floor due to the air bag (as is to be expected), it's not as dramatic as the 360 BB and STAT II. I've owned both shoes and the LB7 is a noticeable improvement in the area of full/360/total air max basketball shoes which Nike should definitely employ in future models. For me this helped with the traction; in the absence of slipping (traction pattern) or tiping (poor stability, no outrigger), my first step quickness was much more responsive in this shoe than I expected. I understand these will break in, and I''ll be even more excited when when I get to that point. So more Props to Jason Petrie to the time/care/research put into the redesigned air bag!

Honestly the LB7s felt more like the Blue Chip II, but with much better court feel and a more responsive forefoot (takeoff/first step). I would say they are not as narrow at the heel that the Blue Chips IIs, so I was not as concerned about stability/tipping here in the LB7. I consider that a compliment for a 360 basketball shoe, in that it did not impair my court feel and still gave me the benefit of all the impact protection 360 air can provide. That alone is a HUGE step forward in terms of performance and again Petrie and the LB7 design team again hit the mark here.

Traction was the biggest surprise for me with the VII. It's very good.

I've been playing in Chinas btw for those who keep track of that clear sole thing.

Kaczalas, If you can, check the traction after about 10-15 wearings playing basketball. It's around that threshold where the translucent rubber start to wear some and become slick. Once that happens traction will be negatively impacted.

If you can let us know what you experience that would be great.

Originally Posted by jacksonvilleNC

my heel is slipping when I move, but on my next pair I'm going 1/2 down.

That's what I did. I wasted money on my first pair. Kind of regret it. Try to go down as low as you can go, but make sure you don't suffocate your feet. There will be a total difference. There is no slipping and the shoes does feel like gloves on my feet. The only problem I had was my ankles. The ankle cushion isn't the best. Next time I'm going to wear two socks on each foot.

Back
Top Bottom