Peterson compares NFL labor to slavery

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

I agree with you that we all say things according to our own view. My problem is not the money he makes vs my income or the struggles in some of those Third World countries. My problem is that he used slavery (the buying, selling, raping, killing and forced labor of our own ancestors) in a comparison with a players' union that earns their income primarily via sports. Yes, there are appearances and community works they are required to participate in, but it's hardly slavery. The concept of slavery that I read about in school is in no way related to what he does as a profession.

As I said earlier, he has a choice to play in the NFL. and when he made that decision he received more opportunities to excercise his freedom of choice (the team he plays for, the logo he wears on his shoes for more $$$ and etc)

As much as I might dislike my position at my organization, I would never compare it to slavery. I work there because I asked them first. I am paid for my work. There are policies in place to prevent abuse. and much like AP (damn near the only comparison), I can leave when I feel I have had enough.

I think yàll are taking the concept of slavery too literal. Its like when people compare stuff to war or when guys compare shoe prices to rape.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I dont think he actually meant slavery. I think he meant how players arent allowed to move from team to team to find the best offer unlike other professions. The only professions I can think of that have "one way' contracts are the music business and the miltary.
There's a different standard.  If he pleases, he can always quit the business or move on to a different league.

If you want to put it like the "normal" man consider the NFL as a company with the 32 teams being branches of that one company.  Just 'cause Joe Schmoe is making more money than you at a certain branch doesn't mean you can just transfer over.  There's a process that usually involves HR.

If you want to get technical, we can continue, but I don't want to fill this space with HR jibber jabber or office politics.  NFL players can always quit and work for another employer.  The only problem is that they are working for the company that has the highest pay, there's nowhere to go but down.

I understand what they are fighting for, more power to them, but comparing it to slavery...nah, don't buy that.

Oh, just to add.  Most major companies have their CEO's and High ranking executives sign contracts.  Even though low level employees think they are saving the world every time they punch in, it is always harder to replace a CEO/VP/Executive as opposed to Joe Schmoe making under 30k.

NFL players have the choice to quit and pursue another profession.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I dont think he actually meant slavery. I think he meant how players arent allowed to move from team to team to find the best offer unlike other professions. The only professions I can think of that have "one way' contracts are the music business and the miltary.
There's a different standard.  If he pleases, he can always quit the business or move on to a different league.

If you want to put it like the "normal" man consider the NFL as a company with the 32 teams being branches of that one company.  Just 'cause Joe Schmoe is making more money than you at a certain branch doesn't mean you can just transfer over.  There's a process that usually involves HR.

If you want to get technical, we can continue, but I don't want to fill this space with HR jibber jabber or office politics.  NFL players can always quit and work for another employer.  The only problem is that they are working for the company that has the highest pay, there's nowhere to go but down.

I understand what they are fighting for, more power to them, but comparing it to slavery...nah, don't buy that.

Oh, just to add.  Most major companies have their CEO's and High ranking executives sign contracts.  Even though low level employees think they are saving the world every time they punch in, it is always harder to replace a CEO/VP/Executive as opposed to Joe Schmoe making under 30k.

NFL players have the choice to quit and pursue another profession.

Again taking the `slavery`thing too literal.  Its kinda like Prince writing `Slave`on his cheek. Was Prince trying to literally say he was a slave....No! he was just trying to illustrate a point.

1109109207slave.jpg

Now that I think about it, the only other profession that really compares to it is if you`re a recording artist stuck in a bad contract....A la Prince, The Rolling Stones, George Michael and TLC. Sure those artists could quit and get another job but really thats their profession; their one real skill, they trained for multiple years for it like a professional athlete( Like a doctor or a lawyer) they didnt just luck into it.

Whether we like it or not professional sports is a highly skilled job and very few people can actually do it.

Originally Posted by Brondiesel

Mannnnnnnnn......these athletes never satisfied with their millions.
Too much is never enough for 'em.

On top of that, imagine going to your employer and demanding to see their books 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Mannnnnnnnn......these athletes never satisfied with their millions.
Too much is never enough for 'em.

On top of that, imagine going to your employer and demanding to see their books 
laugh.gif
you are out of your depth right now.

the NFL Owners and NFLPA are Partners in a anti trust Business...  that is what the collective bargaining agreement is predicated on the fact that since there is no fair market, that the two groups have to make agreements on gdetting the most money for both sides.

Article with the full interview not just a sound bite from AD

My bad,  for me jumping to conclusions on a "soundbite" I should have looked for the entire interview as soon as I saw the clip  

Spoiler [+]
[h2]Adrian Peterson expresses frustration on labor issues[/h2]
By Doug Farrar

yahoo_adrianpeterson.jpg

Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

No matter what NFL players may be doing in the offseason, the ongoing labor negotiations are never far from their minds. Even stars like Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson have strong feelings on the issues being debated by NFL players and team owners, who are fighting over how to divide the league's estimated $9.3 billion in  revenue.

Speaking just minutes after the owners locked out the players, Peterson compared the players' place in the game to "modern-day slavery," a statement that, while ill-advised, was made in the context of how the players feel they're being treated in these talks. (Note: Based on the context in which the comments were made, I do not believe that Peterson was actually equating his current position in the NFL with any kind of slavery. I will update this piece if he clarifies his statement.) What follows is our full interview.

See the controversial quote in its entirety here.

SC: We're talking about 15 minutes after the NFLPA sent in the paperwork to decertify, so the lockout's on everybody's minds. I've talked to a lot of players about this recently, and I always ask the same question — what is the message you want to get out to the people who love the game and are tired of hearing all the labor talk?

AP: We're business-minded, also. It's not just fun and games. A lot of football players, whether it's Sunday or Monday night — we're out there on the field, competing, hitting each other. But people don't see everything else behind it. It's a job for us, too — every day of the week. We're in different states, sometimes thousands of miles away from our families and kids, and a lot of people don't look at it like that. All some people see is, 'Oh, we're not going to be around football.' But how the players look at it … the players are getting robbed. They are. The owners are making so much money off of us to begin with. I don't know that I want to quote myself on that…

SC: It's nothing that I haven't heard from other players, believe me.

http://AP: It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money … the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.' There are so many different perspectives from different players, and obviously we're not all on the same page — I don't know. I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done.

But this crazy idea about an 18-game season … I'm sure they want more entertainment and more revenue, but we're not going to see a pinch of that (the increased revenue), and it's just the business we're in.

SC: It seems to most of the players that if the owners had nothing to hide financially, and if the current business model was as unsustainable as they claim, they'd have no trouble opening the books and showing audited profit and loss per team. Is that your impression?

AP: Exactly! It's like … 'Well, show us.' We want more information, and they want to bull****, going around, saying this and that, just open it up and give us the information we want. If they have nothing to hide, just give us the information. Why not? Obviously, there's a lot to hide -- these guys are professionals, and they're maximizing what they do. But they know that if all this information comes out, the information the players want, it'll be right out there for everyone to see. It's a ripoff — not just for the players, but for the people who work at the concession stands and at the stadiums. The people working at the facilities, you know?
http://
SC: Do you feel that you're represented well by DeMaurice Smith and George Atallah and what now used to be the Players' Union?

AP: Yeah, I think so — they're doing a good job. And with the veteran guys on board, and the player reps, they give us a lot of confidence.

SC: Obviously, last season was a disappointment for the Vikings — your team went 6-10 while the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears played for the NFC championship, and the Packers won the Super Bowl. How do the Vikings get back to the top of the NFC North? And how should you get that new quarterback now that Brett Favre(notes) is gone?

AP: We need to make some adjustments. Obviously … I mean, Favre hasn't retired yet! (laughs) You never know! The quarterback situation is up in the air, and some adjustments need to be made there. We need to go out and do a good job of recruiting in free agency (whenever there is free agency) — bring some new guys in, patch up some areas, and I feel that with Coach [Leslie] Frazier and the changes he's made, they're all for the better, and they'll help our team in the ways we're hoping for. It's all about having 53 guys that come together, and can get it done with the same goals, and will make sacrificed to accomplish those goals.

I see so many teams … the Patriots are a perfect example. Tom Brady's(notes) the guy everyone knows about, but it's about all the other players — the role-players who, one way or another, will get it done somehow. It's not all about talent, and we were a perfect example of that. Brett Favre at quarterback, me at running back, the offensive line, Sidney Rice(notes) … Percy Harvin(notes) is one of the best athletes I've ever seen. Our defense is always ranked in the top five … that shows you that talent doesn't always get it done. So, the changes Coach Frazier has made, new offensive and defensive coordinators, I feel like the mindset those guys bring to the table will be the key we need to get back to that level.

quick question,
Any one ever read William C Rhoden's book "40 million dollar Slave..." ?

has he ever had a regular job before?  like he said, everyday working people deal with stuff all the time.  i don't think anyone feels sorry for nfl players.  maybe they won't work this year but they can afford to.  most of us can't relax in our expensive houses and drive around in nice cars.

Now if he would say that pro sports is a modern day Minstrel Show, maybe I think he would be on the money but like you all said, you can't chose a profession and get paid that much and call it slavery.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

quick question,
Any one ever read William C Rhoden's book "40 million dollar Slave..." ?

I've read a good portion of it. It's a good book; well-written and argued. IIRC, he places a lot of blame on the athletes themselves. Jordan gets a lot of hate. I just think the word slave is just a term that shouldn't be used. It's too emotionally charged for both sides of any argument. Same goes for terms like "slave-master" and "plantation mentality". These terms seem to end or misdirect debate. I just think there are better words to be used to get one's point across. "Unfair labor practices" or "exploitation" sound a lot better and grounded. 

The NFL isn't modern-day slavery. It's incredibly far from it. There are other jobs that can invoke that title. Ever read up on Wal-Mart's labor practices? They kill unions before they even have a chance to get started. Yet, they are the biggest employer in many towns and kill off the competition. Not much people can do there and they are making peons.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

If slaves can drive a Bentley, have Nike shoe contracts, and make millions of dollars, then sign me up. I am sure they are plenty of people who would switch places with this dude.

I haven't read the rest of this post yet...but I wish people would stop saying %%#! like this. 
Every time a black man speaks out about anything like this there's always the "wait...but you have nice things" or the "wait...the president's black" crowds come out in full force.

I suggest you dudes read the "Mascot" chapter of The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Even when I was younger I always thought about this. In the 1990s everyone wanted to be like Michael Jordan but in the back of the mind something was always strange. There was always this old white guy they showed on TV sitting there who always had the biggest smile on his face and it was because his work horse was making him millions of dollars and he was paying him a fraction of the amount he was making off of him. It was a few years later that I figured out that this guy was the owner of the team (Jerry Reinsdorf)

I would say that playing professional sports today is a great living presently but the guys with the serious money are the owners. It was great to see that Jerry Jones interview where he just casually mentions that he built a 1.2 BILLION dollar stadium so it could be played in. Its an elite club and Michael Jordan is now an owner of a basketball team so I'd expect to see the same from him.

Is it a form of "wage slavery" compared to the percentage of money that gets made off of the top players certainly but its a better deal then the average person gets who makes 50K a year to work for thousands of hours a year. I don't think he meant actual chains and cotton picking slavery though.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

If slaves can drive a Bentley, have Nike shoe contracts, and make millions of dollars, then sign me up. I am sure they are plenty of people who would switch places with this dude.

I haven't read the rest of this post yet...but I wish people would stop saying %%#! like this. 
Every time a black man speaks out about anything like this there's always the "wait...but you have nice things" or the "wait...the president's black" crowds come out in full force.

I suggest you dudes read the "Mascot" chapter of The Autobiography of Malcolm X.
Shut up.

Shut up.

qftw thrilla

Shut up.
Just like clockwork.

Shut up.

this is what i said inside my thread when this was brought up:
To say something like the NFL, having Billions of dollars in income, and playing a game for a living is comparable to Slavery or Modern Day Slavery when people aren't able to afford a simple apartment + food is a big deal. He needs a better vocabulary to articulate what he is trying to say, i refuse to believe he is that stupid.
Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Professional sports has been drawing comparisons to slavery for years from journalists and scholars. Peterson is definitely not the first one to refer to it in those terms.

Originally Posted by im that one

^ it has been. and to compare sports (in general) to slavery is beyond ignorant. you can make better comparisons elsewhere.

Is the actual saying a big deal, yes. Is it because it came from Him, no. Coulda been anyone, writer, athlete, etc. If a Slave came out, Played in the NFL and said "Damn... this is exactly the same!".... by all means. come on now. It was just really stupid to bring up imo. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Speak your mind, say how this sucks. Give better comparisons. That's just mad ignorant on anyone's behalf.[/color]
It's like giving reference to Hitler, Holocaust, etc. When things are being referenced to those situations then people go ape sh--, why is that any more important or significant? because it was more recent? i don't get it. people apparently don't either.

in two days or so it won't even matter, no one will remember. so any conversation on this topic is insignificant. sad to say.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

So is William C. Rhoden "mad ignorant" because he wrote a critically acclaimed book on the subject (40 Million Dollar Slaves)?
Originally Posted by im that one

Yes. Beyond measure.

To compare Owners in the NFL (or any other League, which to break down even further is a Game grown men get to Play) to Owners of Slaves is not the same. Those owners beat, killed, raped, belittled, and anything else you could imagine... Owners pay Athletes get to play a game. They can provide food, housing, cars, clothes with one or two paychecks. they are able to live. If they play it well enough they are rewarded handsomely. There were no rewards for working in the field well enough, just more work.  Him comparing Black Athletes, players, to Men in the cotton fields is asinine. Him comparing the two, saying money and lifestyle doesn't, what so ever, change the fact you are a slave. Now if he is using the Root of the word, the bare meaning, and i do mean bare (which is: 1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household. 2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence. 3. One who works extremely hard. 4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component. intr.v. slaved, slav·ing, slaves 1. To work very hard or doggedly; toil. 2. To trade in or transport slaves.) then you do have a comparison. That isn't what he was going for, by any means. he was going for the Men and Women who broke their backs for scraps, who were beating to death for simply living and breathing. Because they had a different color of skin. To say someone who At mininum makes $300,000 on a practice squad.... You Practice to play a game... Is beyond ignorant. Why, Because you have a Choice! You have a Voice! THEY DIDN'T. They do not have to play a game for the rest of their lives. They can pursue any goal or way of living as they please. Anyone can. You also have a comparison when saying Job ( 1. A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession.) but to say this has no depth in the public eye or shock value to it.

Now in anyway, shape, or form am I saying this man is an idiot, or HE is ignorant. No.... What he said and his comparisons on this one topic is.

And to further the point, what about Caucasian athletes? are they the same slaves? what about Hispanic? Asian?... the race is Athlete... not black, red, white, green, blue people. I hate that with everything in me.

to compare anything now to Slavery, to Hitler, The Holocaust...... etc is ignorant. Because it isn't compareable. I'm sure if you were ask any of the men that went to war (WW2) they can tell you so. Or any jewish man, woman, or child that survived the holocaust the same. Or any Man or Woman that was Hit with a whip, were forced to watch their brothers and sisters that getting paid to throw, catch, or run a football, to get paid, to happen to have a boss who is white..... Is not comparable.

If you want to talk about how corrupt the system is, which is BEYOND any league in Sports, by all means. I'm right there. It is and will always be flawed by the 1%.

This isn't the thread for this, this is a thread specifically for Free Agency, Trades, and CBA. Gladly will discuss this further if you want, just make a thread. But no more in here please. I'd like this to continue when the Free Agency period does begin.

I could think of thousands of jobs that are worse then the NFL.. the way AP interpreted this was just awful

Back
Top Bottom