Phonte of "Little Brother" fame.

Nah man. In 2002, Little Brother were blazing a trail. So much so that Weezy was hopping on their tracks.

Overreaction, perhaps, but he's definitely one of my favorite artists and criminally slept on. The Chitlin Circuit mixtapes, LB albums, Foreign Exchange. Dude is amazing.

Phonte will forever be in my top 5.dude is so relatable with his everyday common man rap. I love FE,but he needs to drop another rap album ASAP.

I was trying to put my finger on just how outrageous the statement is but then I realized it's not THAT out there, aside from you outright disrespecting Bun, Ball, MJG, and Big Boi. 

K.R.I.T. and Kevin Gates are gonna ascend further up that list than 'tay when it's all said and done though.

While he doesn't spit wack verses, he doesn't exactly murder either. All of his verses are just pretty good - really good. I don't know that he has "great" going for him. But I'm sure you can pepper some in and I wouldn't fight you on it.

His ceiling just isn't as high as a lot of people. And I really like LB and love FE.

(and cee-lo is definitely ahead of him.)

I agree with JR.

Son is all star calibur but it's hard to put him on the 1st team.

Agreed, with everyone. I believe he is definitely top 5/in-the-conversation. I feel silly for not mentioning Bun and Big Boi. Probably because I made that post during late night ours.

I was trying to put my finger on just how outrageous the statement is but then I realized it's not THAT out there, aside from you outright disrespecting Bun, Ball, MJG, and Big Boi. 

K.R.I.T. and Kevin Gates are gonna ascend further up that list than 'tay when it's all said and done though.

I really hate "pitting" my favorite artists against each other. But, truthfully Bun aint really been spittin dope **** for a few years. His impact, status, and reverence aside, it's hard for me to say Bun is a better rapper than Tay.

Another question is longevity, out of the legends from the South how many of those cats are actually putting out impactful albums now? How many people knew that Ball dropped an last summer? Out of the legends named in this thread Big Boi is the only one still dropping music everybody is checking out.

A couple stalwarts and the yearly carousel of characters are keeping the South on top.

Tigallo deserves his spot in the Rap Pantheon.

Little Brother really is a Top 10 All Time Rap Group, even at #10.

I'm not for these lists but he's certainly one of the most creative and talented to come from the south.

Don't really care about Top 5 but like homie said above he just makes some of the most relatable music. And I feel the same about Devin the Dude. Mad underrated but always putting in work.

i also forgot to mention that Shawn J and Smoke of Field Mob are spitters in their own right. How could I forget.

PETER COTTONTAIL HOPPIN OVER BEATS, ACCAPELLS SINCE THE DAYS OF AKINYELE NIGGUUUH!

:x

I ***** with this debate, we can make a good argument for Tay in the top 5, but he's top 10 no doubt. I think we made need another thread to debate a top 10 list (in no order).

Phontigillo is also on the list for best underrated rappers with the likes of AZ imho

Back
Top Bottom