Pic Request: Air Jordan XI Cracked Carbon Fiber Plate (Update: Results Attached)

Originally Posted by Tko21

those crack carbon fiber looks like it's only on the top layer... not really into the actual fiber portion... i might be wrong..

The carbon fiber is cracked completely through.

Originally Posted by William Rivera 3

^you really suck 2
laugh.gif
Edit:A few people in this thread suck
happy.gif

Thanks for the pic tho

Originally Posted by dlee286

I am working on a material science engineering related failure case study. May I please get some pictures of your cracked carbon fiber plate. Thanks a lot.

So how's the report going?

Originally Posted by AIR23JORDANXIII

I am working on a material science engineering related failure case study. May I please get some pictures of your cracked carbon fiber plate. Thanks a lot.

I'm interested in this as well.

post the report when ur done, its gon be interesting how u incorporated some of our fave sneakers into it

Originally Posted by GreatestGoliath

Originally Posted by AIR23JORDANXIII

I'm interested in this as well.
I'm also interested but, wouldnt this study be more accurate if you had the cracked carbon fiber with you?
smile.gif

I used the three point bending flexural test to calculate modulus of elasticity in bending, flexural stress, and flexural strain in the carbon fiber compositeplate. The three point bending flexural test can be found in Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/w...hree_point_flexural_test ). In order to use the three point bendingflexural test, you have to make various assumptions (Note: the result will depend on the assumption you make). Here are some of the assumptions I made: theapplied load is 1000 N; the dimension of the rectangular carbon fiber plate is 150 mm x 50 mm x 3 mm; and there are adhesive forces between the outsole and themidsole because the carbon fiber plate is embedded between those two layers. The numbers I got for the modulus of elasticity and the flexural strain are muchsmaller than the critical values I found from material science journals, which means the carbon fiber plate should've not cracked. The picture below showsthe calculations I did.

34yqyja.png

If anyone wants to donate a pair XIs, i will be more than happy to dissected it and take the carbon fiber plate to the lab to perform additional tests.

Enjoy!

i took my 18's apart. i think they're still in a bag in my closet. you can have the carbon fiber plate out of those if you want.
anything to help some one further their education

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

^^^^ They are not even talking about you, genius.

My sentimentalities exactly...

I don't know how he just suddenly got all defensive on the tee.

Relax Rafool... they were referencing The Real Marz on all accounts.

anywho...

I never experienced these on my XI's. But then again, i never balled hard in them.

Mat. sci. case study huh? Interesting stuff. Good luck.

I used the three point bending flexural test to calculate modulus of elasticity in bending, flexural stress, and flexural strain in the carbon fiber composite plate. The three point bending flexural test can be found in Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/w...hree_point_flexural_test ). In order to use the three point bending flexural test, you have to make various assumptions (Note: the result will depend on the assumption you make). Here are some of the assumptions I made: the applied load is 1000 N; the dimension of the rectangular carbon fiber plate is 150 mm x 50 mm x 3 mm; and there are adhesive forces between the outsole and the midsole because the carbon fiber plate is embedded between those two layers. The numbers I got for the modulus of elasticity and the flexural strain are much smaller than the critical values I found from material science journals, which means the carbon fiber plate should've not cracked. The picture below shows the calculations I did.

34yqyja.png

If anyone wants to donate a pair XIs, i will be more than happy to dissected it and take the carbon fiber plate to the lab to perform additional tests.

Enjoy!

So, technically speaking, what type of stress would be necessary to crack/break the carbon fiber plate? Keep us updated on your findings.

I used the three point bending flexural test to calculate modulus of elasticity in bending, flexural stress, and flexural strain in the carbon fiber composite plate. The three point bending flexural test can be found in Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/w...hree_point_flexural_test ). In order to use the three point bending flexural test, you have to make various assumptions (Note: the result will depend on the assumption you make). Here are some of the assumptions I made: the applied load is 1000 N; the dimension of the rectangular carbon fiber plate is 150 mm x 50 mm x 3 mm; and there are adhesive forces between the outsole and the midsole because the carbon fiber plate is embedded between those two layers. The numbers I got for the modulus of elasticity and the flexural strain are much smaller than the critical values I found from material science journals, which means the carbon fiber plate should've not cracked. The picture below shows the calculations I did.

34yqyja.png

Enjoy!

Interesting study. Can you break this down in laymans terms for us non engineering majors...

Originally Posted by BallinB

34yqyja.png

Enjoy!

Interesting study. Can you break this down in laymans terms for us non engineering majors...
haha wow! i couldnt even imagine making any sense out of that

Back
Top Bottom