Pick Up Soccer or Pick Up Basketball???

This thread really doesn't apply to you if you don't regularly participate in both, therefore your opinion will be null/void.

For my dudes who $!%% with both which do you prefer. Both are two of my favorite things to do in the world, I'm definitely better at soccer so I'mtempted to go with that but there really isn't a feeling in the world like playing pick up basketball.

Both when
pimp.gif
are %#%$+!% amazing imo, %%#% be havin me feeling like I'm in the League/La Liga
laugh.gif

Both are appreciated no doubt.

i've never heard of pick up soccer where i live. i can't see it working out too well with set positions, having to have a goalie, needing so manyplayers, etc.

can u explain the concept to me

? Like if you just go to the park dolo with a ball? I don't really get the question but if you're in a latino neighborhood or any hood with a strongforeign presence you might have the whole community out in a matter of minutes.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

i've never heard of pick up soccer where i live. i can't see it working out too well with set positions, having to have a goalie, needing so many players, etc.

yeah, this is what i mean..Like it could only be easy to start one in area where people are knowledable about the sport...it isn't like basketball, wherethe rules are simple and can be played anywhere that there is a ball and a hoop.
ohwell.gif

i've never heard of pick up soccer where i live. i can't see it working out too well with set positions, having to have a goalie, needing so many players, etc.

Yikes
laugh.gif

Pick up soccer is probably the only sport that's more accessible than pick up basketball. In it's simplest form you only need two individuals and arotund object. You got lil kids in third world counties who play with cans and balled up socks and +!%$.

You don't need a goalie, you've never seen latin dudes in the park playin with trash cans as goals? As a matter of fact rarely, are goalies used unlessyou have actual goals present. If you got to a soccer specific park they'll often have mini goals, maybe 8x5 ft. in which case a goalie is ideal.

As for players it depends on the size of the field or the boundries you agree upon. 3 vs 3 is the smallest I'll usually go. An ideal game for me withouttoo much congestion is 8 vs 8 in area a little bigger than a full size hoop court. Nothing worse than an over crowed game, 25 vs 25 or some ugly number likethat is
smh.gif

As for set positions, there really aren't any. When you play basketball is there a set center, power forward, etc?
laugh.gif

Some dudes will play defense, some will up top, others will be all over the place.

Originally Posted by MBen32

yeah, this is what i mean..Like it could only be easy to start one in area where people are knowledable about the sport...it isn't like basketball, where the rules are simple and can be played anywhere that there is a ball and a hoop.
ohwell.gif

Well usually the people who play pick up soccer are at least a little bit knowledgeable about the sport.
laugh.gif

I'm sure you guys wont take offense to this but you're over thinking the game off soccer. Put the ball in the back of the net or between the twoperpendicular objects and don't touch it with your hands. That is a good deal more simple than basketball.
laugh.gif

As for soccers accessibility see the above post. What happens if you don't have a hoop?

Basketball.

People always catch an attitude at pick-up soccer. And it's hard to get everyone equally involved. You either need 22 people, or small fields.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Basketball.

People always catch an attitude at pick-up soccer. And it's hard to get everyone equally involved. You either need 22 people, or small fields.

And people don't catch attitudes on the hoop court? I can't count how many fights I've seen playing basketball, I've seen one playing soccer.I'm guilty of the above though I get heated when I play pick up soccer even though I'm never an !%* about it, never with basketball because themajority of the people playing are usually better than me.

Obviously the size of the field has to be proportioned to the number of people you have playing. Out of curiosity where do you guys live?

edit: Damn, haven't seen that name in multiple years

Basketball.

Nothing like trash talking, shoot a J (hopefully it went in) , then trash talk again
laugh.gif

Great feeling.

soccer since I'm better at it.... but yeah when I'd did play pick up soccer I played against old Italian dudes who get mad at everything... or probablybecause I wear my juventus stuff
laugh.gif

When I'm back home I play at the UC Berkeley fields. Every Sunday a bunch of old men play. 30-60 year olds, most of them played professional in othercountries back in the day. These dudes @@!%% nonstop. They fun to play with because they're all incredibly skilled but I've never seen grown men actmore like trifling $*#$!!!. Non stop bickering, *****ing, moaning, saying nasty things to each other. Everyone knows everybody since it's a weekly thingbut it's pure hate on that field.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kidjustice19

soccer since I'm better at it.... but yeah when I'd did play pick up soccer I played against old Italian dudes who get mad at everything... or probably because I wear my juventus stuff
laugh.gif

Then they shouldn't get mad
laugh.gif

We Italians are such complainers when its a pickup game.

Basketball..

Because I've ran into more douchebags on the soccer field than on the court.

Ive done pickup soccer a couple of times actually. (well kind of) We called people and they called people and we all just met up at a park at a certain time.

It was coo though, it was like 12 of us or something. Hella unorganized. We made somebody be goalie and we put like 2 coolers for the goal on one side and 2baseball gloves on the other side.
laugh.gif
Some guys were playing all over the field(me) and others in the back etc etc.. I remember this one time a team came upon the field and wanted to play, so we played against them and got whooped up. Im bad a soccer though, I can't control the dam ball too good with my feet. Plus this one dude kicked me right in my shin and I was F'n pissed. I still have a small lump that never went away.

I prefer basketball as a pickup game though. Im just better at it and its more fun for me. Its also more simple to get a game going and anybody can play.

i never play pick up soccer... but i dont like to play soccer to begin with, so ill have to pick basketball

Soccer is my favorite sport and I'm much better at it than I am at basketball, but I'm pickin' basketball.

I'm addicted to competition and usually when me and friends play other folks in soccer, there is none.

I gotta work to beat somebody at basketball cuz my handle and shot have gone straight to hell.

Plus when we play ball my one homey always gives some fake +** Marv Albert play-by-play during the middle of the game.

"Looks like J's shot is a little off today Bob. His game was never the same once he started $*$##$' Keisha."
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Yoda

Originally Posted by kidjustice19

soccer since I'm better at it.... but yeah when I'd did play pick up soccer I played against old Italian dudes who get mad at everything... or probably because I wear my juventus stuff
laugh.gif

Then they shouldn't get mad
laugh.gif

We Italians are such complainers when its a pickup game.

Yoda you should know that Juve are the most loved, as well as the most hated team in Italy lol

pick up soccer is like playing elementary soccer. everyone is where the ball at all the MFin time because everyone wants to score a damn goal.

go with soccer man, i was a real good player but i decided to play basketball i was preety good at that too but once i went to college i was to short lol . youwont limit your self with height all you got to rely on is skills and a strong work ethic

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Plus when we play ball my one homey always gives some fake +** Marv Albert play-by-play during the middle of the game.

"Looks like J's shot is a little off today Bob. His game was never the same once he started $*$##$' Keisha."
laugh.gif
roll.gif
my boy back in middle school used to do somethin similar. I still remember a few quotables
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

pick up soccer is like playing elementary soccer. everyone is where the ball at all the MFin time because everyone wants to score a damn goal.

A poor pick up soccer game is a #$%%!# thing but I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys don't have it as good as some people. If you don't come from anarea where you have a lot of immigrants/foreigners you're probably not going to have a multiple spots where there's always numerous good #!+ gamesgoing on.

Soccer..There is nothing like playing soccer with Jamaicans in San Diego on a nice summer day by the beach.

In my area, there is usually a 10 min game. The games are short but it keeps the rotation moving. If the game ends in a draw, both teams have to step out andthe next 2 teams plays.

i play basketball more often but when i get a chance to play soccer its a blast. one of the fitness centers has an indoor soccer field with field turf. $#%#'s so much fun

Back
Top Bottom