Pizza diet...will i gain or lose weight doing this?

Breakfast: Don't usually eat breakfast, maybe half the days I'll manage to eat a banana. 100 calories
Lunch:  A bit of rice, some veggies, some soupish thing, and something meat based.  500-600 calories

Dinner: Medium pizza from Dominos.  1000 calories 

Total calories come out to less than 1800 per day.  What is flawed with this diet?  Will I lose weight with this diet?  Please don't respond with you should eat six meals a day etc etc.  I understand WHAT to do to theoretically be a healthy person.  However, most studies etc that I have read seem to say that all that is of secondary important to how many calories you consume.  I understand there is a difference between being skinny and being in really good shape.  However, having fat is a huge starting obstacle for a lot of people and making big changes such as exercising frequently is a bit hard to do at first.  I rarely exercise these days except maybe about a mile and half worth of walking over the course of a day (stairs + 10 minute walk each way to work).  Just curios to what the knowledgeable health people think about it..

wow lol eating a dominoes pizza every night "diet"

so you dont do any type of physical activities during the day?

Good Luck with your Pizza Diet.
30t6p3b.gif

Bruh, start your day with a light breakfast atleast, and seriously, skip the pizzas.

I'm in Korea, the medium here is not as big. It's the Napoli sauce based one as well. 1000 calories isn't actually that much considering it an ENTIRE pizza, whereas a tortilla by itself can be 400 calories. I'm not saying I am doing this....it's cost prohibitive. Domino's costs me like $11 US here. I'm normally quite active, play bball and hit the gym regularly but am transitioning to a new city so no time to really get in there. I know that I put on a TON of weight just eating pizza/chipotle and not exercising but that is because I went well over the ~2000 calories for a day. Just curious what people think about eating 'unhealthy' foods but keeping the calories down.

[h1]Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds[/h1]
By Madison Park, CNN

November 8, 2010 8:40 a.m. EST

t1larg.twinkie.professor.jpg

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Nutrition professor's "convenience store diet" helped him shed 27 pounds
  • Haub limited himself to 1,800 calories and two-thirds come from junk food
  • Haub said it's too early to draw any conclusions about diet

(CNN) -- Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"

Haub's sample day
Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat

Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat

whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat

baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat

Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat

Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat

Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat

Totals:
1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat

Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

Families who live in food deserts have limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, so they often rely on the kind of food Haub was eating.

"These foods are consumed by lots of people," he said. "It may be an issue of portion size and moderation rather than total removal. I just think it's unrealistic to expect people to totally drop these foods for vegetables and fruits. It may be healthy, but not realistic."

Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent. This posed the question: What matters more for weight loss, the quantity or quality of calories?

His success is probably a result of caloric reduction, said Dawn Jackson Blatner, a dietitian in Chicago, Illinois.

"It's a great reminder for weight loss that calories count," she said. "Is that the bottom line to being healthy? That's another story."

Blatner, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said she's not surprised to hear Haub's health markers improved even when he loaded up on processed snack cakes.

Being overweight is the central problem that leads to complications like high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol, she said.

How well are you managing your diabetes?

"When you lose weight, regardless of how you're doing it -- even if it's with packaged foods, generally you will see these markers improve when weight loss has improved," she said.

Before jumping on the Ding Dong bandwagon, Blatner warned of health concerns.

"There are things we can't measure," said Blatner, questioning how the lack of fruits and vegetables could affect long-term health. "How much does that affect the risk for cancer? We can't measure how diet changes affect our health."

I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much.
--Professor Mark Haub

bttn_close.gif

dnt.ks.twinke.diet.ksnw.ksnw.640x360.jpg

dnt.ks.twinke.diet.ksnw.ksnw.640x360.jpg
The ultimate Twinkie diet

RELATED TOPICS

On August 25, Haub, 41, started his cake diet focusing on portion control.

"I'm eating to the point of need and pushing the plate or wrapper away," he said.

He intended the trial to last a month as a teaching tool for his class. As he lost weight, Haub continued the diet until he reached a normal body mass index.

Before his Twinkie diet, he tried to eat a healthy diet that included whole grains, dietary fiber, berries and bananas, vegetables and occasional treats like pizza.

"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much."

He maintained the same level of moderate physical activity as before going on the diet. (Haub does not have any ties to the snack cake companies.)

To avoid setting a bad example for his kids, Haub ate vegetables in front of his family. Away from the dinner table, he usually unwrapped his meals.

Study: U.S. obesity rate will hit 42 percent

Haub monitored his body composition, blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose, and updated his progress on his Facebook page, Professor Haub's diet experiment.

To curb calories, he avoided meat, whole grains and fruits. Once he started adding meat into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.

Haub plans to add about 300 calories to his daily intake now that he's done with the diet. But he's not ditching snack cakes altogether. Despite his weight loss, Haub feels ambivalence.

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

Ok why you want to do this would be my question. I mean why are you even thinking about it? What is wrong with spreading your calories over the course of the day instead of swallowing down 1000 calories at the end of the night?

Does any part of your mind think this would be a good idea?

I understand why people are stonefacing the idea? Nowhere did I say I was actually going to do this. I just am curious what knowledgeable people think about it from a theoretical perspective. In theory, if you cut your calories you are helping your body lose weight moreso than doing anything else. A lot of studies have said that when you eat isn't nearly as important. I do KNOW that eating early gets your metabolism started, eating smaller meals keeps your metabolism up, your body needs certain types of food etc....but it seems like just cutting calories is the most REAL way for people 15-100+ pounds overweight to lose weight. Food studies and the effect on bodies are interesting to me. People all around the world have such drastically different eating habits so it is hard to define accurately what actually is the best for you. Most non-US countries seem to be much skinnier though and it seems to come purely that people eat less calories. I just am curious as to what people think the long term effects of having ONE big unhealthy meal a day is. Pizza has protein, dairy, and carbs...it is just viewed as an unhealthy food because of the OVERALL overeating that people in the US do. People that eat pizza are probably not like me in that they are calories conscious, so most people that eat pizza regularly probably eat upwards of 2600 calories a day (sodas, snacks, etc).

Unbelievable how dudes can't even answer the man's question. You may not lose weight but you won't gain any, but you can lose weight on said diet...if you also incorporate some sort of physical activity/exercise into your schedule. I believe you're supposed to consume around 1800 calories a day for a man in his 20's. To consistently lose weight you need to get your caloric intake down to 1200 a day.

Do the math and you'll figure out how much exercise is needed to actually lose weight.

If you cut your intake of food, causing a caloric deficiency, then you will lose weight. Just like the article abv says. Dude ate so much junk food, and still lost weight. You can also eat natural, healthy foods and gain weight. Most ppl dont understand the biggest key to shedding lbs is portion control. However, if you want to be healthy I would not do any type of diet like that.

Mangudai...that was an interesting read.

you can probably apply the last sentance of the article to what you're doing...

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

my guess is that if you incorporate some sort of exercise w. this pizza diet, you'll drop pounds.

*I know Chad Johnson burns a TON of calories with football, but isn't McDonald's all he consumes during training camp? 

Losing weight comes down to expending more calories than you consume. Period.

The average person burns between 2000-3000 calories a day so if you consume less calories than you burn then you will lose weight. It doesnt matter where the calories come from...you can eat 2000 calories worth of donuts per day and lose weight if you burn more than 2000 calories a day. On the other hand, you could eat 4000 calories worth of vegetables a day and gain weight because you are consuming more calories than you burn.

The reason its better to eat "healthy" foods is because they are more nutritious, fill you up more, maintain steady blood sugar levels and give you more energy.

Just eat whatever you like in smaller portions but try for healthier alternatives.

It all depends on you and your current calorie intake. I.e. If you eat an average of 2500 calories now and cut to 1800 you will lose weight....if you average 1800 right now and change your food but are still at 1800 yup won't. I would monitor your calorie intake and that will give you a better idea of it can be successful. But YES it can work. Losing weight is simply taking in less calories = weight lose... Couple that with healthy food = healthier body couple that with working out = more calories cut and more quick weightloss/ better body.....I'm not an expert but I did lose 100lbs in less then a yr and am perfectly healthy

Originally Posted by bpt1986

doesn't matter what you eat. work out enough and you will lose weight

this is not  true.

You can work out 5 times a week,  and if you are burning 3000 calories on a daily basis, but are taking in 4000 you will not lose weight.  You may be in good shape, but you wont lose weight.    You are still taking in 1000 calories more than you can burn so those extra calories are being stores as enengry (fat).

Same thing if you dont work out, and cut your intake less than what your body burns naturally just "living", you can still lose weight.  (its not healthy because you also lose good fats, and muscle, but its the same concept)   

Some Americans really are stupid. If you want to lose weight, eat six small healthy meals and only drink water, coffee (no milk and replace sugar with cinamon) and tea (if you need to sweeten it, a little honey is ok). All these bird-brained fad diets get you nowhere.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Some Americans really are stupid. If you want to lose weight, eat six small healthy meals and only drink water, coffee (no milk and replace sugar with cinamon) and tea (if you need to sweeten it, a little honey is ok). All these bird-brained fad diets get you nowhere.
THIS

marvin harrison and ocho both ate fast food regularly and they were all-pro receivers. they're freaks though

100 calories of mcnuggets won't give you more or less food energy than 100 calories of lean chicken (by definition) but the mcnuggets include lots of other junk used in the processing. obviously if you're eating less calories than you're using, the balance comes from your body and you lose weight. but if the food you're eating is junk, you're still forcing your body to process it all, even if you are losing weight

admit it, you just want to eat nasty-%@@ dominos everyday

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Losing weight comes down to expending more calories than you consume. Period.

The average person burns between 2000-3000 calories a day so if you consume less calories than you burn then you will lose weight. It doesnt matter where the calories come from...you can eat 2000 calories worth of donuts per day and lose weight if you burn more than 2000 calories a day. On the other hand, you could eat 4000 calories worth of vegetables a day and gain weight because you are consuming more calories than you burn.

The reason its better to eat "healthy" foods is because they are more nutritious, fill you up more, maintain steady blood sugar levels and give you more energy.

Just eat whatever you like in smaller portions but try for healthier alternatives.

sums it up.
/thread

-J-

But if your eating, say, 1,600 calories of fatty food instead of 1,600 calories of healthy leanfoods, won't that put you at risk for heart disese, high cholestoral, high blood pressure, etc. ? I mean yeah the number on the scale might get lower, but arent you harming your body in the long run?

Pizza is amazing but wow OP
laugh.gif

anyways of course you can lose weight as long as you eat under maintenance

Originally Posted by chino905

But if your eating, say, 1,600 calories of fatty food instead of 1,600 calories of healthy leanfoods, won't that put you at risk for heart disese, high cholestoral, high blood pressure, etc. ? I mean yeah the number on the scale might get lower, but arent you harming your body in the long run?

Nailed it

Back
Top Bottom