Places to Live for a mid 20s young professional

Whatup NT.

I'm very likely moving to the area. Going to be working for the Census at Suitland.

I wanted some suggestions on some decent places to live around the DC area.

Where should I look if I wanted a place that has a nice mix of college environment / young professional / safe/

When I visited, the areas seem quite varied, and I couldn't really put my finger on a cool area. I stayed at Crystal City fyi.

Thanks for any suggestions

fam save yourself the trouble with dealing with a car. its nice to have one but traffic is the worst thing out here. try to live as close to a metro as you can. the census bureau is off the green line the metro. prices are lowest in PG county/Alexandria, VA. id suggest College Park since you want the college atmosphere since UMD is there. also lots of professionals in the area and cheaper. also on the green line so you could ride that to work. also try to learn about bus routes because the metro can get expensive since its not a flat fee for use, the metro buses are flat rate ($1.60).

I'd stay out of VA though b/c the commute might be longer but if you did go to VA, look at Alexandria, since Suitland somewhat close across the bridge. Arlington is cool but the desirable spots (Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Rosslyn) are just flat out expensive. most Yupplfied place.

most of the younger people want to live in the city and depending on how much money you are getting/expenses, check the Capital Hil area. can be pricey (depending on how you want to live) but there are TONS are mid-20's Hill staffers that like to walk to work. LOTS of wominz on the Hill too.

also check spots on the greenline (Columbia Heights, Shaw, Petworth, Mt. Vernon). they are the cheaper portions of NW (most desirable part to live) and lots of young professionals live in those areas b/c of access to downtown. some people might say these spots are iffy but if you pay attention and are aware of your surroundings, you'll be alright. good mix of locals, yuppies, students.

i don't know about not havin a car, but you def don't want to commute from va even if you're in arlington or cyrstal city... hell if you wanna get to anywhere in md from anywhere in va it's just a hassle, it's so close but it always takes forever to get there.

i might be exaggerating a little but i feel like the only spots in md i can def get to in under an hour from va is national harbor and oxon hill. anywhere else there's no guarantee how long it will take.

pg or dc prolly has the most college kids. pg is def more affordable and there is more to do in pg anyways. don't get me wrong i like where i stay in va but me and my girl are the youngest people in our neighborhood by a good 20-years. :smh:

thanks for the info yall

definately very helpful.

I just got the job offer, so i'm very likely moving out there now.

i'm from LA, so hearing yall complain about traffic is :lol: to me.

thanks for the info yall
definately very helpful.
I just got the job offer, so i'm very likely moving out there now.
i'm from LA, so hearing yall complain about traffic is :lol: to me.

nah the traffic isnt a joke at all
For my job I had to go from Fairfax to Tysons everyday during rush hour and dat sh** is truly the worst

Maryland - Either college park or largo, both have a fair amount of young people
DC - Capitol hill (if you can afford that), Columbia Heights, Near Ustreet/Howard (can be shady at times, but I never had problems when I was in school).

I see you're from LA and all, but TRUST me you don't wanna deal with a VA to MD commute. Not even so much because of the traffic, but VA cops and VA drivers both make the roads hell

Welcome to the area tho.

Yeah the DC Metro area traffic is probably the worst in the nation.....add never ending road work, over population, accidents, bad weather.....and you will be spending hours a day in the car.

You don't need a car here but I'd recommend it. While the metro is reliable...this isn't NYC where you can get wherever you want...whenever you want. Metro shuts down @ 12 on weekdays and 2 on weekends. I use public transportation to go to work...car for everything else.

The commute from Alexandra/Arlington to Suitland isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. My mom lives in Suitland and I live in Alexandria. I can get to her house in the mornings via WW bridge faster than I can get to work downtown in the mornings and I only live 8 miles away from downtown. Ever since they expanded the WW bridge...VA to MD traffic isn't nearly as bad.

now that i think about it ... if OP ends up outside of the city, then having a car would be worth it. if you live in the city, then you don't really need one.

when i lived in the city i had no space for one but most of the people I know outside of the city areas have one.

Last edited:
now that i think about it ... if OP ends up outside of the city, then having a car would be worth it. if you live in the city, then you don't really need one.

when i lived in the city i had no space for one but most of the people I know outside of the city areas have one.

If you're living in PG or Fairfax county it's necessary imo, especially if you're new to the area n don't have a lot of friends/fam here.

You could get by without one in DC, some parts of Arlington and Silver spring tho

Last edited:
I would say college park if your just looking to get a room right now.

My roommate used to work at the Census in lived in College Park. He tried driving it but it sent him crazy, my suggestion is do what he did. Census offer alternative schedules, get on that 4 day work week schedule.

Take the metro, it won't hurt your pockets that much because the Census a commuter allowance. Working at the Census can get real boring, so the 10 hour workday won't be that demanding.

Also, umm, just a heads up, Suitland is the hood. Foolishness always popping off around there, so be careful.

If you're living in PG or Fairfax county it's necessary imo, especially if you're new to the area n don't have a lot of friends/fam here.
You could get by without one in DC, some parts of Arlington and Silver spring tho
i think you can get away w/o needing one in Hyattsville / CP but yea most spots in PG you'd need one, at least for weekend use, if you stay farther south or east. ill catch buses from CP metro stop and they go everywhere. Ill take the j4 from CP metro to my office in downtown Bethesda thats an hour or so ride with no traffic
laugh.gif

I would say college park if your just looking to get a room right now.
My roommate used to work at the Census in lived in College Park. He tried driving it but it sent him crazy, my suggestion is do what he did. Census offer alternative schedules, get on that 4 day work week schedule.
Take the metro, it won't hurt your pockets that much because the Census a commuter allowance. Working at the Census can get real boring, so the 10 hour workday won't be that demanding.
Also, umm, just a heads up, Suitland is the hood. Foolishness always popping off around there, so be careful.

hey thanks a lot for the inside scoop. yeah suitland looked pretty delapidated.
what'd your roomie do at the census by the way?

hey thanks a lot for the inside scoop. yeah suitland looked pretty delapidated.
what'd your roomie do at the census by the way?

He was a Statistician. I loved the work when there was work, said it was very interesting. Basically there are some periods of time when there will be nothing to do, you just come to work and chill. When there is work it's not overwhelming.

He actually moved back to Cali. Having worked at the Census looks great on a resume, and you'll make a lot of good connections.

Last edited:
You don't need a car here but I'd recommend it. While the metro is reliable...this isn't NYC where you can get wherever you want...whenever you want. Metro shuts down @ 12 on weekdays and 2 on weekends. I use public transportation to go to work...car for everything else.
The commute from Alexandra/Arlington to Suitland isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. My mom lives in Suitland and I live in Alexandria. I can get to her house in the mornings via WW bridge faster than I can get to work downtown in the mornings and I only live 8 miles away from downtown. Ever since they expanded the WW bridge...VA to MD traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Yeh from Alexandria getting to Oxon Hill ain't bad but if you need to get to Hyattsville, Bladensburg, etc better plan your day around it.

I don't really know where Suitland is tho, I'm still a fresh transplant.

He was a Statistician. I loved the work when there was work, said it was very interesting. Basically there are some periods of time when there will be nothing to do, you just come to work and chill. When there is work it's not overwhelming.

He actually moved back to Cali. Having worked at the Census looks great on a resume, and you'll make a lot of good connections.

That's great to hear.
I'm accepting a similar role and looks like were both from Cali

Last edited:
I hate to be "That guy"...but uhh..is the census looking to hire any recent grads with a business degree? nerd.gif

The census has a "pool" application system.
You could try submitting your app, and if a department is interested, they reach out to you.

I was told they have hired people from various backgrounds. However, the common ground is some sort of stats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom