Plays that are underrated because people can't comprehend them.

Will explain by way of example:
This is the greatest dunk of all time:
vincecarter1.jpg

I think it's underrated because people don't understand how absurd it is that he jumped over a 7 footer. 

This is one that I think I don't really get, maybe because I never played baseball. 

JeterFlip2.jpg

It was a heads up play but I don't get why it's sooooooo OMG crazy. 

Will explain by way of example:
This is the greatest dunk of all time:
vincecarter1.jpg

I think it's underrated because people don't understand how absurd it is that he jumped over a 7 footer. 

This is one that I think I don't really get, maybe because I never played baseball. 

JeterFlip2.jpg

It was a heads up play but I don't get why it's sooooooo OMG crazy. 

I think these are two really good examples - good job. The Jeter play was amazing. To come from what seemed like out of nowhere to finish that play ... amazing. The reason Giambi didn't slide was, well, where the hell did Jeter come from?

I think these are two really good examples - good job. The Jeter play was amazing. To come from what seemed like out of nowhere to finish that play ... amazing. The reason Giambi didn't slide was, well, where the hell did Jeter come from?

I can see what OP is talking about though. OP, you talkin about the people that watch the dunk and are like "Oh, that's cool" but don't have any kind of reaction beyond that?

I can see what OP is talking about though. OP, you talkin about the people that watch the dunk and are like "Oh, that's cool" but don't have any kind of reaction beyond that?

First off, you've hooked me in on calling that the greatest dunk of all time. I've said that to o many people, with these reasons:
#1. It was in a game. That counted. Any dunk that is going to be considered the GOAT has to be a dunk that occurred in game.
#2. He was approaching a guy who was visibly readying himself to take a charge... and he made a split decision... to... I still can't believe this... but... to JUMP OVER HIM.
#3. He succeeded. If this had been during a game, and he had made the decision to jump over him, but failed, that would have till been type crazy, just for trying. But he succeeded.

Nucking FUTS.

Now, the Jeter play.

Look at where he fielded the ball in order to flip it to the catcher and get that out at the plate. If no one had been there, that ball is WAY wide of the plate; runner safe. Actually, there wouldn't have even been a play at the plate, because there's no way the catcher would have gotten that ball.

So... the only way there's an out at the plate is by SOMEONE being there to redirect a HORRIBLY thrown ball to the plate.

Now that we've got the position of the ball covered, let's look at the position of the player who fielded the ball: Jeter, the shortstop. The SHORTSTOP. His place on the field is like a hundred feet away from where he is in that picture. He put himself in position to field a horribly thrown ball and see what he could do.

Now let's look at the throw, an underhand flip to the plate. Not a 'turn and throw a strike to the plate' type situation; no time for that. Not even a fancy flip under the legs; the distance necessary is far too great for that, and would have been crazy to even think anyways. Just a quick fielding of the ball, quick look to the catcher, and a quick underhand/sidearm flip as quick as he could do to get the ball to the plate.

Amazing.

And I hate the Yankees.

First off, you've hooked me in on calling that the greatest dunk of all time. I've said that to o many people, with these reasons:
#1. It was in a game. That counted. Any dunk that is going to be considered the GOAT has to be a dunk that occurred in game.
#2. He was approaching a guy who was visibly readying himself to take a charge... and he made a split decision... to... I still can't believe this... but... to JUMP OVER HIM.
#3. He succeeded. If this had been during a game, and he had made the decision to jump over him, but failed, that would have till been type crazy, just for trying. But he succeeded.

Nucking FUTS.

Now, the Jeter play.

Look at where he fielded the ball in order to flip it to the catcher and get that out at the plate. If no one had been there, that ball is WAY wide of the plate; runner safe. Actually, there wouldn't have even been a play at the plate, because there's no way the catcher would have gotten that ball.

So... the only way there's an out at the plate is by SOMEONE being there to redirect a HORRIBLY thrown ball to the plate.

Now that we've got the position of the ball covered, let's look at the position of the player who fielded the ball: Jeter, the shortstop. The SHORTSTOP. His place on the field is like a hundred feet away from where he is in that picture. He put himself in position to field a horribly thrown ball and see what he could do.

Now let's look at the throw, an underhand flip to the plate. Not a 'turn and throw a strike to the plate' type situation; no time for that. Not even a fancy flip under the legs; the distance necessary is far too great for that, and would have been crazy to even think anyways. Just a quick fielding of the ball, quick look to the catcher, and a quick underhand/sidearm flip as quick as he could do to get the ball to the plate.

Amazing.

And I hate the Yankees.

pavel-bure.jpg

In his prime, NO ONE was more dangerous on a breakaway. I'd still take him over anyone.

Watching him on a nightly basis, you could see when he would just turn it on, decide he was going to score, and then WOULD.

Only thing that killed him was his work ethic, as his natural talent was absurd. 

pavel-bure.jpg

In his prime, NO ONE was more dangerous on a breakaway. I'd still take him over anyone.

Watching him on a nightly basis, you could see when he would just turn it on, decide he was going to score, and then WOULD.

Only thing that killed him was his work ethic, as his natural talent was absurd. 

Back
Top Bottom