Please Lock.

Yup, title stakes only on Canelo now, I think they paid the sanctioning fees (also $300k).

Doesnt matter really, he's still the champ. WBC taxin'., they see the $$$$$$.

How does it work being the lineal champ? Cotto is the lineal champ if he wins but the title is officially vacated. So once someone else fights for that vacated belt and wins it then Cotto automatically loses the lineal title?

Last edited:
Yup, title stakes only on Canelo now, I think they paid the sanctioning fees (also $300k).
How does it work being the lineal champ? Cotto is the lineal champ if he wins but the title is officially vacated. So once someone else fights for that vacated belt and wins it then Cotto automatically loses the lineal title?

It basically means that Cotto beat the guy who was previously champ. The belt is just for show. The belt is currently vacated and considering that Cotto (who beat the previous champ) and Canelo is the challenger, they are fighting for the WBC belt barring the fee. GGG was paid to basically play the sidelines for this fight and will fight who ever wins this fight. I think, someone else correct me if I'm wrong, lets say Canelo doesnt pay the sanction fees if he wins. He's still the lineal champ and that will not be recognized by the WBC, but he still will fight GGG for that still vacated belt.

There probably was but maybe not as much? WBC probably sees this is a big PPV fight and tried to cash in like 7th said. But shouldn't there be a standardized fee for these belts? Why is it based on possible revenue of the fight?

According to one of the sources, the WBC declined to negotiate a lower sanctioning fee -- something it has often done in megafights involving superstars such as Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya.

If Canelo wins, he's the WBC champ.

Assuming Canelo accepts and pays the $300K sanction fees.

WBC has stated that Canelo/Golden Boy side has complied on every request by WBC so I assume that mean paying all fees as well.

After several weeks of communications, countless attempts and good faith time extensions trying to preserve the fight as a WBC world championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion [Roc Nation Sports] did not agree to comply with the WBC rules and regulations, while Saul Alvarez has agreed to do so. Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

Lineal champ or not, the catch weight BS needs to end. If you're the lineal champ and you refuse to fight the top contenders at the weight limit of the weight class you should either vacate the title or be stripped.

I think cotto said back in june that he would vacate if he has to fight Ggg

Cotto is gettin 30 mil off this fight....i dont blame him from duckin GGG at any cost.

Last edited:
 Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn  6h6 hours ago
I'm told Cotto felt extorted by WBC because he/Roc Nation already paid $800k to GGG to step aside to allow the fight. It got to be too much.

I think this fight is going to be hard for Canelo.
cotto is the 2nd best skilled fighter he's fought so far in his career and probably will ever face

war Cotto

I'm praying to the Boxing Gods that Cotto wins, but his age might play a factor and Roach's offensive coaching may make Cotto susceptible to getting hit.

Cotto has a big ego, he wont box the entire fight, hes gona take quite a few hits trying to engage wit canelo. But i predict cotto trying to box as much as he can and canelo baiting him in.

Cotto has a big ego, he wont box the entire fight, hes gona take quite a few hits trying to engage wit canelo. But i predict cotto trying to box as much as he can and canelo baiting him in.

Honeslty I dont think Cotto is going to have any trouble cutting off the ring and finding Canelo, he was able to corner Floyd a number of times.

I'm looking forward to this fight

Don't think Cotto is going to have to cut the ring off at all. Canelo is gonna come forward all fight. Don't think Cotto is good enough at boxing on the move and defending to do it for 12 rounds. He's going to need to prove he can hurt Canelo to win and that he can take Canelo's power. Should be interesting. Cotto seems to have more power at this weight class than he did before. Hasn't really gotten his chin tested recently though.

Honestly I feel like Canelo is gonna be the one trying to box rather then come in. Look at the Austin Trout fight he is going to try control range and pick his spots to step inside

gonna be a great fight

I think if Cotto can survive the early onslaught of youth and power from Canelo, he's got this. Mid to late rounds I could see him get aggressive but as long as Canelo has gas in the tank I think he can box his way to a decision.

Canelo has this in the bag. Of course hes gona save his energy early and let the older cotto throw punches while he works the body, feints, cuts the ring, and then 6 or 7th round and on- come heavy and throw straight power and head shots.

Last edited:
Just watched the 2 days mini documentary on Canelo. Him and his camp are so likable man. Respect the sport. Ima be rooting for him against cotto. Hoping for a great fight

Is it me or this fight isn't as HYPED as I thought it should be? Oscar said it can do 1.5 PPVS. I made a bet with a co worker that it won't do a million. What your thoughts?

idk some other forums i frequent have been anticipating this fight, but that's not really representative of how well it will do with the buys.

Back
Top Bottom