Pope Benedict Resigning at the end of the month

Pope Benedict to resign at the end of the month, Vatican says
From Hada Messia, CNN
updated 6:44 AM EST, Mon February 11, 2013
Watch this video
Pope Benedict to resign at the end of February
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Rome (CNN) -- Pope Benedict XVI will resign on February 28, his spokesman Father Federico Lombardi told CNN Monday.

The 85-year-old pope is resigning "because of advanced age," Benedict told the cardinals of the Catholic Church on Monday.

"Strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me," the pope told the cardinals, according to the Vatican.

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415. He did so to end a civil war within the church in which more than one man claimed to be pope.
Pope Benedict to resign

Benedict, the 265th pope, is the sixth German to serve as pope and the first since the 11th century. He became pope in 2005.

He has led church after the third-longest papacy in church history and during a time in which the church is declining in his native Europe but expanding in Africa and Latin America.

Benedict's time as pope has been marked with a series of scandals and controversies, including hundreds of new allegations of sexual abuse by priests.
Link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/europe/pope-benedict-resignation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

i wonder if age is really the reason.

Last edited:
Whoa. Maybe the Vatican is attempting to set a precedent as to not have future Pope's possess the staff as long as John Paul II did.

Last edited:
I always thought this guy was strange in comparison to John the second.

This is wild news. It's been about 600 years since it happened!

Didn't HBO just show a documentary on how bad pedophilia is and how the Vatican protects child molesters? I remember seeing the filmmaker on Bill Mahr 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
His term has been marred with controversy since he was selected after it was revealed he was a member of the Hitler Youth as a child.

*in before religion bashing*

i dont care for religion and its politics. its like if the president of WWE stepping down, thats how unimportant it is to me.

but i just found out this guy is 85 YEARS OLD!!??!

lmao...no one over 80 should be in charge of ANYTHING

Interesting, I am going to say age is just one factor. But I definitely feel all the controversy surrounding him had some impact on this decision. I will not be surprised if they found someone more loveable to replace him.

oh word?? I'm about to fill out an app then. Then...it's going down, party at my place! I'm fill the Vatican with water slides.

That smoke that pours out of the top when they pick a new one...yea it's gon be kush.

Are you a Vatican, or a Vatican't?

Last edited:
Holy Week is coming soon and we have no Pope?
eek.gif

laugh.gif

i dont care for religion and its politics. its like if the president of WWE stepping down, thats how unimportant it is to me.

but i just found out this guy is 85 YEARS OLD!!??!

lmao...no one over 80 should be in charge of ANYTHING
lolol

Back
Top Bottom