Possibly moving from Duval to Miami

Hey NT!

Just got a job offer to work for the Florida Marlins, so I will be working at the new ballpark in Little Havana. I have only been to the Miami area once for the interview so obviously I didn't see or know much of the whole area.

I'm beginning my search for apartments and am wondering what areas I should look at. I don't want to live in a bad area but I can only afford $1000/month at the most (ideally 700-850). I may be looking for roomates as well so that range could possibly increase a little depending on how things go. 

I love the beach, but also enjoy suburban/somewhat urban areas. I don't want to drive far to work and experienced some of the traffic issues while there. 

Any help would be great!

With that price range I would try something in the Palm Springs North area, don't go further east than NW 57th Ave things are funny in miami, you could be on an expensive nice block one second then go around the corner and be in the slums. Ideally if you pay a little more you'd be best in miami lakes or doral they are closer and pretty good areas. Doral is very congested though tons of people! My wife's friend did just find a one bedroom about 700 square feet in Coral Gables  if you don't care about size of apartment. Coral Gables is a good area just make sure it is the Gables a lot of neighborhoods claim to be apart of the Gables and they are Little Havana, you'll be able to tell the difference when you get there if necessary.  
All this is away from the water for you but easy on commute and yes traffic is bad on palmetto and the dolphin. If you want to be by the water for around that price I would try Hollywood (young circle) or Hallandale I've lived in both you can find cheaper stuff in both If I had to pick one I would do Hollywood but again it is further away from the stadium. Good luck finding something cheap in Aventura, which people WILL recommend...North Miami and North Miami Beach are near water but kind/really rough areas. Opa Locka is worse if you heard Rick Ross mention it, it is a rough area
roll.gif
.  Good Luck 

Nice suggestions. I live right by little Havanna in allapattah but that's not a good area lol.

Honestly, the area by the new stadium isn't that bad at all. It's just full of Hispanic people, so the unofficial language there is Spanish. I live like three minutes from the stadium.

I lived in Allapattah for almost a year upon moving to Miami...it's not a bad area but it's not your typical tree lined hood.  Right now though I'm in Kendall.  You can definitely get a nice one bedroom for about 1000 and live alone w/o the hassles of a roommate.  Try looking at places around Kendall Drive from Dadeland to 117th avenue...any further you'll be sitting in traffic.  No matter where you are in Miami or if you decide to live further up north in Broward, traffic will be an issue...trust me you can't get around that.  Like what was written in prior posts you can probably get a spot in Coral Gables for 1000 but you'll have to look and, it is true parts of Little Havana will claim its Coral Gables but its not so pay attn to the area.  I would also try some spots in Coconut Grove...if you're lucky you can rent a spot for about 1000.
good luck man!

miami marlins now lol miami is amazing man theres no other place like it. good luck with your move and keep us updated on any free tickets you want to give out
smile.gif

Hey guys sorry for the late update. Things didn't work out (got offered a good promotion at my current job) so I knew it was a better situation to stay where I'm at for now. Thanks for all the help. I've developed some good contacts down there with the Marlins so I may be able to get my foot in the door in the future sometime so I can make use of this advice.

Thanks again for the help NT, really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom