POST GAME?????????

My Basketball post game is okay. I'm mainly can beat alot people just because of my height (6'6) and strength but I feel like I'm not really even as dominant in the paint as I could be.

So experienced Post players what are some things I can work on to get better when I'm playing or shooting alone?

Keep in mind this is just for recreational use and play not trying to get a scholarship or anything like that.
laugh.gif
I know it may be hard since y'all never seen me play but what are some things y'all use?

footwork and reps. i used to go to the park and do my baby hook shot 50 times. i could do it with my eyes closed.

My baby hook used to be relatively nice a few years ago but now it just clanks a lot. I saw a video on Nike Basketball where Pau Gasol was saying the hook shot was in the fingertips....Is this true?

Yea the fingertips will put the arc on the ball. Work on your power moves too - drop step and jump stop. Just make sure you finish STRONG and with explosion, like you're trying to jump through the roof. Also, a good tip for if you have trouble getting positioning inside - when you get the ball, face up and then go at the defender to get them moving and a little off balanced. Then start putting your back to them and post them up.

footwork and reps. i used to go to the park and do my baby hook shot 50 times. i could do it with my eyes closed.
This. Keep it simple. I'm somewhat undersized against the competition I'm used to playing against (6'3 playing power forward mostly). Footwork is key. Watch Timmy, Kevin McHale, Hakeem. Make sure you're pivot & fake game is solid. Past that you only need a few moves. Hook (with either hand ideally), turnaround jumper, drop-step & spin, plus countermoves for everything. Get out there and practice them, either by yourself (simulate good D by practicising those counter-moves) or with a friend. Mix in the occasional face-up (jumper or drive) and shaq-style backdown for the short hook etc.

Take that and you'll be set.

If you can, video yourself practising the moves. I did and it helped me correct balance and footwork issues.

All I did was watch Dream over and over and practice the shake to a turn around fade shot. Tough to master but impossible to block and once you get it down it works great

oh and when you're at the park or gym, remember to practice your moves all over the court in the key. you may not always get to your sweet spot.

i'm 5' 11" (yes i play the post...tallest out of my crew) and could never pull it off but if you master the kareem skyhook you'd be unstoppable.

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

watch Hakeem Olajuwon

/thread

Ok thanks for help!....I'll watch Hakeem play the Hornets tonight then I'll watch Bill Russell play the 76ers. It will be a great doubleheader on ESPN.

indifferent.gif

Everybody else thanks for the help. I'll try this. Anybody know where some instructiuonal videos are at?

Mister Friendly wrote:

watch Hakeem Olajuwon

/thread

Ok thanks for help!....I'll watch Hakeem play the Hornets tonight then I'll watch Bill Russell play the 76ers. It will be a great doubleheader on ESPN.

indifferent.gif

I think you need to change your SN....
laugh.gif

But there is this web site called YOUTUBE were you can see videos...

Here is the link  http://www.youtube.com/

Thank me later...
pimp.gif

watch Hakeem Olajuwon

/thread
this

and real talk, in high school and college if your tall and can do a proper drop step on both sides of the block and hook shots with both hands you could be unstoppable in the post

Do Be Doo wrote:
Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

watch Hakeem Olajuwon

/thread

indifferent.gif

I think you need to change your SN....
laugh.gif

But there is this web site called YOUTUBE were you can see videos...

Here is the link  http://www.youtube.com/

Thank me later...
pimp.gif

A guy with a SN....Do Be Doo.....is telling me this.....
laugh.gif

A guy with a SN....Do Be Doo.....is telling me this.....
laugh.gif

Yes sir...
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Its all good man good luck on your post game....
smokin.gif

My Basketball post game is okay. I'm mainly can beat alot people just because of my height (6'6) and strength but I feel like I'm not really even as dominant in the paint as I could be.

So experienced Post players what are some things I can work on to get better when I'm playing or shooting alone?

Keep in mind this is just for recreational use and play not trying to get a scholarship or anything like that.
laugh.gif
I know it may be hard since y'all never seen me play but what are some things y'all use?

Buy the ABT Post Player DVD from Hoopsking.com. Just do some reps on the jump rope and things like the Mikan drill. 

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

Yea the fingertips will put the arc on the ball. Work on your power moves too - drop step and jump stop. Just make sure you finish STRONG and with explosion, like you're trying to jump through the roof. Also, a good tip for if you have trouble getting positioning inside - when you get the ball, face up and then go at the defender to get them moving and a little off balanced. Then start putting your back to them and post them up.
Good call...Also try walking away under the basket like you're going to the opposite block, then reverse pivot on your man. This leads to easy buckets quite often for me...the trick is then getting the point to look at you before you get 3 seconds
frown.gif
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom