\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

The 997 does offer an IMS retrofit, but I have never owned an M97 or Mezger motor, I’ve only driven them briefly. flyknitlvr flyknitlvr has and can probably give you more info on that.

Never owned a 997.1, but I do know the IMS issue is a serious concern.

By contrast, the DFI in the 997.2 is basically bulletproof.

I wouldn't even look at .1s if I were in the market.

Oil leak is for damn sure every bmw I owned will leak :lol: crank hub isn’t so bad tho most stock guys won’t have to worry about it unless you go for more power or higher mileage but get the extended warranty if you go f82 you’ll be aight

i've been loosely monitoring the market and the jump has been crazy. its starting to get to a point where i dont want to pay to play. the production numbers for manual 997.2s is LOW. that coupled with trying to find an 80% acceptable spec i want is becoming less and less likely. i'm even willing to settle on just PASM, but i'm not budging on color. gotta be arctic silver, GT silver, or maybe carmine red.

Both the F82 and 997 cars are great in their own right. IMO, the 997 is the better of the two if you're speaking of overall driving experience. Plus you throw in the factor of appreciation which the F82 will not be on the same level. Sure the tech isn't as up to date but what are you really buying the car for? The pure driving experience or do you want a car that will do it all for you?

If I recall, you said that you would have a beater daily commuter right? Then your 997 becomes your weekend car. To me, that's a no brainer for you to lean towards the 997. Use the daily when times call for you to drive somewhere where you will need more space. Utilize the 997 as a pure driving car. That's the route I went. My 911 is purely for weekend driving. My Tacoma is for occasional daily drives or when I want to load my bikes up for a ride. My work car is for most of my driving.

Been thinking about buying another car and trying to find a low mileage e39 530i
41762-large.jpg
Same.

Also wouldn’t mind a e36 sedan in the right color 👀
s-l1600-12-1-1024x768.jpg

too many posts to quote, but i'm not looking for a 997.1. therefore, the IMS issue isnt a concern of mine. bore scoring is the concern, since it is a design flaw by Porsche that seems to be an inevitable problem which use to be more prevalent in the .1 but is now arising in the .2. if/when bore scoring occurs, it will require an engine rebuild. not nearly the same as the crank hub spinning and needing your timing fixed.

a 997.2 is preferred. if/when the spec i want becomes available and the seemingly rising price is the problem. essentially, that day may not come OR i get priced out by the way the 997 market is trending. which is what brought me to considering the F82.

as for mileage, sub 40k miles for the M4 and i'm flexible on the 997 as long as the service records look good.

Someone from BMW needs jail time.

Also, that headlight design kinda Genesis like. The Germans sniping ideas from the Koreans? Who wuddathunk it. Only thing is the Koreans did it much better.
The Germans are designing and tuning the Korean cars though :lol:

Former head of BMW M was at Hyundai

Same.

Also wouldn’t mind a e36 sedan in the right color 👀
s-l1600-12-1-1024x768.jpg

E36 the GOAT man, I love those so much. Maintenance isn't too bad on those cars, a lot of stuff you can easily do yourself and it isn't too complicated. Only thing I prefer in my E39 is the interior and solid feel of the car on longer routes...But for shorter drives and fun I would definitely give the E36 the edge. Drove mine hard for years and years and it just kept on pushing.

too many posts to quote, but i'm not looking for a 997.1. therefore, the IMS issue isnt a concern of mine. bore scoring is the concern, since it is a design flaw by Porsche that seems to be an inevitable problem which use to be more prevalent in the .1 but is now arising in the .2. if/when bore scoring occurs, it will require an engine rebuild. not nearly the same as the crank hub spinning and needing your timing fixed.

a 997.2 is preferred. if/when the spec i want becomes available and the seemingly rising price is the problem. essentially, that day may not come OR i get priced out by the way the 997 market is trending. which is what brought me to considering the F82.

as for mileage, sub 40k miles for the M4 and i'm flexible on the 997 as long as the service records look good.

i wouldn't be so concerned about bore scoring. really only occurs when driven at high revs prior to engine oil heating up. get a proper borescope inspection done during pre purchase inspection. f clean, purchase, then wait to rev past 3k until oil is up to 200.

i also wouldn't be too concerned about ims in 997.1 either. very very rare it happens in '06-'08 cars that had larger bearings. of course the infotainment section of a 997.1 is super super dated... oh well, easy fix if that's a problem.

You grabbing any overs for the rear? Fronts looks overly aggressive compared to the rears.
good call. i thought about it alot, but i really like the minimal look. i have my rears rolled and my bumper trimmed and i dont have any rubbing issues (17x10+44 square setup) i had the stock front fenders rolled and pulled…it worked, but most of my issues were definately in front.

i liked the voltex over fenders for the fronts and rears…but ultimately picked the most stock looking route…we’ll see how it turns out

Ferrari 550 Maranello interior vs Ferrari Roma interior...I dunno how some people can legitimately prefer these trash new interiors...Like are you that addicted to tech that you need an IPAD in front of you to control the AC and check your missed calls as you drive :lol:

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 2.04.05 AM.png
roma_060.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom