\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

1666132380711.png

1666132392027.png

1666132407254.png

I mean just look at it!! it doesn't get any better :smokin

Purple is the best color on a car! 😉😎

It’s an interesting conundrum and perspective on your part (I’m assuming your a Ford fan from your username) as I think your reaction is that of a Lamborghini/Porsche/Ferrari enthusiast entrenched mindset to the unveiling of the Ford GT.

While the counter will be ‘but heritage’ regarding the Ford think the 30K view here is that the path has to start somewhere/sometime, just as it did with Ford, and GM clearly needs Cadillac to move further upmarket.

My issue with this is the current economic environment isn’t ideal, but truth be told this looks far more interesting than the Rolls Royce EV, which speaks to the berth of mainstream OEMs design/manufacturing ability if given an appropriate budget vs. ‘Exotic’ boutique OEMs.

To answer your question, I am a Ford person as I sold them for 23 years & the GT is my dream car. But the Ford GT comparison is different and here's why. The Ford GT, is expensive, yes. Started at $450k when they first came out in 2017, and now a loaded car with the full exposed unpainted carbon body, will reach close to $800K, for a Ford. BUT...here's the difference. While it's labeled a Ford, it isn't built by Ford, and not in one of their plants. Car was designed as a racecar 1st, for the sole purpose of racing GTLM in LeMans, WEC & IMSA.

That was it's sole reason for releasing. But per LeMans rules for homologation, there has to be a certain number of road cars built as well. So they took the race car, and made it into a street car. And those street cars (and race cars) are built by a dedicated race car shop in Canada (Mulitmatic) who are world renowned. So completely hand assembled. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche race cars? Built from street cars, so they have to do a lot of reengineering. So for the money of one, your getting a true "racecar for the street" as it is a real racecar (that term gets thrown around a lot but really isn't true with most exotic cars).

Cadillac has never been know for this. Can they pull it off. Sure and I'm sure they will sell then all out (can't imagine there will be a large total made) but at the end of the day, you can buy a REALLY nice Ghost or Cullinan (yes they are ICE and Cadillac is an EV) for the price of this car (with options) but at the end of the day, you have a ROLLS! Quality of a new RR in person is INSANE and your treated like royalty by the RR brand when you spec out your car.

Last edited:
To answer your question, I am a Ford person as I sold them for 23 years & the GT is my dream car. But the Ford GT comparison is different and here's why. The Ford GT, is expensive, yes. Started at $450k when they first came out in 2017, and now a loaded car with the full exposed unpainted carbon body, will reach close to $800K, for a Ford. BUT...here's the difference. While it's labeled a Ford, it isn't built by Ford, and not in one of their plants. Car was designed as a racecar 1st, for the sole purpose of racing GTLM in LeMans, WEC & IMSA.

That was it's sole reason for releasing. But per LeMans rules for homologation, there has to be a certain number of road cars built as well. So they took the race car, and made it into a street car. And those street cars (and race cars) are built by a dedicated race car shop in Canada (Mulitmatic) who are world renowned. So completely hand assembled. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche race cars? Built from street cars, so they have to do a lot of reengineering. So for the money of one, your getting a true "racecar for the street" as it is a real racecar (that term gets thrown around a lot but really isn't true with most exotic cars).

Cadillac has never been know for this. Can they pull it off. Sure and I'm sure they will sell then all out (can't imagine there will be a large total made) but at the end of the day, you can buy a REALLY nice Ghost or Cullinan (yes they are ICE and Cadillac is an EV) for the price of this car (with options) but at the end of the day, you have a ROLLS! Quality of a new RR in person is INSANE and your treated like royalty by the RR brand when you spec out your car.

‘Heritage’

The GT was a great project-I was lucky enough to see it in clay form in Dearborn way back when. I’m not happy that Raj was able to continue his career at Mulitmatic but I digress.

So to clarify:

The Cadillac is hand built.

Cadillac has a history of hand built grand touring vehicles. (So while not ‘known’ by the average enthusiast by your own admission, just like the Ford GT ‘outsiders’ i.e. more badge focused exotic car owners will not have such knowledge)

The Cadillac is built from high end composites (Carbon Fiber) and advanced one piece casting techniques throughout its chassis.

I specifically mentioned the RR EV. Who’s space frame is shared with its ICE counterparts. Which brings its own design and engineering compromises per my experience even at the MSRP of the Rolls.

I’ve seen the Cadillac along with a very new generation Rolls Royce as the car was benchmarked to compete with it. I’m not sure I’d speak in absolutes here, but my point exactly is legacy OEMs when granted the budget can hit the metrics of any competitor-it’s a LOT harder to make a B class car than an exotic, again this isn’t speculative.

Like the Ford, which was designed and even tested/prototyped extensively in Dearborn. The manufacturing piece you alluded to? I’d tour/research the Hamtramck facilities before making any assumptions. They have many other projects cooking-including IMSA prototyping parts that are aircraft grade in execution.

As far as customer treatment-again Cadillac isn’t just tossing these on a showroom floor of some GMC dealer-the Rolls Royce process was directly copied by again a larger, and in theory a manufacturer with more resources (GM) so the purchase, design, and detailing is going to be highly tailored to an individual buyer. The lead color and trim
designer will fly to you or you will be flown in to ‘design’ your vehicle for example.

Again, 30K view I agree with one of your assertions (this economic climate isn’t ideal for ‘challenger’ brands entering this space) but the rest might speak to some bias as there is very little difference in both Ford or GMs approaches here. If anything, from my experience with colleagues who’ve worked on both projects, GMs is a bit more Intergrated.

Last edited:
‘Heritage’

The GT was a great project-I was lucky enough to see it in clay form in Dearborn way back when. I’m not happy that Raj was able to continue his career at Mulitmatic but I digress.

So to clarify:

The Cadillac is hand built.

Cadillac has a history of hand built grand touring vehicles. (So while not ‘known’ by the average enthusiast by your own admission, just like the Ford GT ‘outsiders’ i.e. more badge focused exotic car owners will not have such knowledge)

The Cadillac is built from high end composites (Carbon Fiber) and advanced one piece casting techniques throughout its chassis.

I specifically mentioned the RR EV. Who’s space frame is shared with its ICE counterparts. Which brings its own design and engineering compromises per my experience even at the MSRP of the Rolls.

I’ve seen the Cadillac along with a very new generation Rolls Royce as the car was benchmarked to compete with it. I’m not sure I’d speak in absolutes here, but my point exactly is legacy OEMs when granted the budget can hit the metrics of any competitor-it’s a LOT harder to make a B class car than an exotic, again this isn’t speculative.

Like the Ford, which was designed and even tested/prototyped extensively in Dearborn. The manufacturing piece you alluded to? I’d tour/research the Hamtramck facilities before making any assumptions. They have many other projects cooking-including IMSA prototyping parts that are aircraft grade in execution.

As far as customer treatment-again Cadillac isn’t just tossing these on a showroom floor of some GMC dealer-the Rolls Royce process was directly copied by again a larger, and in theory a manufacturer with more resources (GM) so the purchase, design, and detailing is going to be highly tailored to an individual buyer. The lead color and trim
designer will fly to you or you will be flown in to ‘design’ your vehicle for example.

Again, 30K view I agree with one of your assertions (this economic climate isn’t ideal for ‘challenger’ brands entering this space) but the rest might speak to some bias as there is very little difference in both Ford or GMs approaches here. If anything, from my experience with colleagues who’ve worked on both projects, GMs is a bit more Intergrated.

I can't argue with someone who was in the auto business far deeper than I was (and I respect all you've done and can only imagine your resume). IMO, while Cadillac was known for grand touring cars at one time,, that was a long long time ago & time has passed. I'm glad you agree that having them take the leap to go to a $300k space, is a bit daring. Like I said, they will sell them as there are those who have the $$$ just have to have the latest and greatest. I just hope it gets rave reviews.

And by no means we're I downplaying the plants Ford has. But I'm sure you've heard the "whispers" at early Cars & Coffee events when word came that there would be a $500K Ford. People laughing about how no one would buy them if they can't even build a "insert model here" properly without issues. Believe me, I heard it from customers coming in A LOT after the introduction at the Detroit show that year. I just reiterated that the GT is produced by a dedicated race shop with a world class winning heritage & pedigree.

And I did read about how the designer/concierge would fly TO the client to help spec out their car (or client flies to GM Design to do it in person). That's a great plan. Reuss stated him & his wife will spec their car soon. Like I said, just think it's a hard segment to enter right now. Remember Maybach way back? The 57 & 62. I don't believe they sold all that well. And now Maybach is combined with MB and they sell the car as a Mercedes-Maybach.

And on a different topic, I'm 100% with you on agreeing Raj should NOT been able to join MM. I was working at my Ford dealership when news broke. While the the reports of his firing were made public to us, the details were not. But from the "rumors" and public info from trade publications, I imagine it was BAD. Only a statement that was passed to our zone reps from the higher ups that he was officially terminated. I'm sure he had made a lot of money at Ford and don't know why he just didn't retire and enjoyed life?

Your Maybach note is interesting:

At worst, this project provided headroom in the MB lineup. Now people are buying $180K Mercedes SUVs with ornate detailing.
Is that a failure? I’m not sure. I’ll come back around to that in a moment

The Camilo designed 2005 Ford GT faced similar economic headwinds when it was introduced interestingly enough, and took a deprecation hit a few years after it was introduced if I remember that correctly.

But my earlier contention was that a brand has to start somewhere if it wants to push upmarket. But Cadillac is pushing the envelope 3x pricing wise and giving a buyer an experience appropriate to that kind of pricing demand. Will it ‘work’ (I.e. immediate sales success/conquest sales)? I say no.

But big picture wise, if Cadillac is successfully selling a mostly hand built Escalade EV (allegedly) for $180K later on the line as a consequence of the ‘halo’ effect of this project, I can’t see that as a fail here.

Now on to execution: as Picasso S pointed out this is niche design profile with true concept quality will have appeal for some. I’ve sat in both a RR and this Cadillac and the narrow dashboard, screens, pulls, switches and surface transitions etc are concept quality in the Cadillac and on par with the Rolls tactile wise.

Looking at the sector, Bentley and Rolls both share space in the ‘traditional’ spectrum; but going back to the automotive/home interior discussion earlier in this thread, there are buyers who will be drawn to those brands (traditionally opulent home) while some are less interested in the story etc and want something more avant-garde.

What one likes is up to personal preference, but I can see a path of success for this if GM stays the course, which for many automakers admittedly is a very daunting potential barrier (executive turnover etc).

I appreciate the discussion!

Last edited:
Your Maybach note is interesting:

At worst, this project provided headroom in the MB lineup. Now people are buying $180K Mercedes SUVs with ornate detailing.
Is that a failure? I’m not sure. I’ll come back around to that in a moment

The Camilo designed 2005 Ford GT faced similar economic headwinds when it was introduced interestingly enough, and took a deprecation hit a few years after it was introduced if I remember that correctly.

But my earlier contention was that a brand has to start somewhere if it wants to push upmarket. But Cadillac is pushing the envelope 3x pricing wise and giving a buyer an experience appropriate to that kind of pricing demand. Will it ‘work’ (I.e. immediate sales success/conquest sales)? I say no.

But big picture wise, if Cadillac is successfully selling a mostly hand built Escalade EV (allegedly) for $180K later on the line as a consequence of the ‘halo’ effect of this project, I can’t see that as a fail here.

Now on to execution: as Picasso S pointed out this is niche design profile with true concept quality will have appeal for some. I’ve sat in both a RR and this Cadillac and the narrow dashboard, screens, pulls, switches and surface transitions etc are concept quality in the Cadillac and on par with the Rolls tactile wise.

Looking at her space, Bentley and Rolls both share space in the ‘traditional’ spectrum; but going back to the automotive/home interior discussion earlier in this thread, there are buyers who will be drawn to those brands (traditionally opulent home) while some are less interested in the story etc and want something more avant-garde.

What one likes is up to personal preference, but I can see a path of success for this if GM stays the course, which for many automakers admittedly is a higher potential barrier.

I appreciate the discussion!

Thanks bud. I am enjoying it as well. Feel free to PM me anytime. 23 years at Ford, and I 8 years in when my little single point family owned Fors store in a small town for one of the first 200 2005 Ford GTs built. Remember the day it arrived like it was yesterday. Dealer kept it for 5 years then when things were hurting, sold it for $145K in Jan 2010 (I drove it in the double stack trailer as it was going to Herb Chambers Ford in New England. I actually shed a tear when I left. I loved that car so much and still do, as its my unobtainable dream car 😢. Sucks I'll never own one. But I've come to grips with it and want a Lotus Evora GT (or wait for the "GT" or GT4 or whatever upgraded Emira will come out.

Yup, Camilo's design (he's such a cool dude..met him a few times) was amazing but the price point at the time was MIND BLOWING for a lot of people. $139.999 base price. Our car was 3 optioned w/o the upgraded BBS wheels. $153,595 IIRC). And they did take a major dive. Got as low as $110k-120K in 2011. Then they started to creep up, once people realized how stout the motor was and how driveable and easily (and inexpensive it was) serviceable it was relatively to a Ferrari 360 (and later the 430) or Lamborghini Gallardo Pre-LP. Now, can't touch a low mileage (few thousand miles) one for less than $400K. Even some with low 5-figures on the clock are over $300k and getting close to $400k. Only issue is parts availability. As in there are very few parts left.

I think your spot on with a $180K EV Escalade. There will be those who will shell out for that. Price of a Lucid (albeit it that's a sedan, but you get my ideal). But it's good to hear the design and touch points are of high quality and high standards. Just don't make that full width screen/screens. But the design is great. Love wagons/shooting brakes. Local McLaren dealer has a Aston Martin Zagato Shooting Brake. Stunning design (color spec isn't the greatest). It's like why the RS6 Avant, sells and people want manual CTS-V wagons. There is a love for the quirky and unique. 👍

BTW, sent you a PM. Got a question.

Last edited:

👍👍 I ran into that on Instagram. Too flipping cool. I think (but didn't find the the info) that picture is actually very recent and not an old shot. Someone restored a Country Squire wagon. Gotta love that. And towing a (looks to be real) GT40. I say it's probably real as some of these euro vintage races, the cars have to be authentic and not replicas. Gotta find the source of the photo and find out the story. 👍 Thanks for the tag.

Last edited:
Yeah, I stayed home as Saturday was a busy day. The whole "paid reserved spots" thing hurts this event. Dude who runs it charges $20 per reserved spot for regular people (and some people pay and don't show so the empty space sits unused) and $300 PER advertiser PER month. Dude is making 4-figures from all the detailers who advertise their businesses (there were 6 one month) plus several regular businesses that advertise. And this lot is free parking on the weekends. And telling some where they can't and can't park (each row for certain cars).

Not sure if you saw a black Murcielago roadster come and go. Buddy of mine just got it. He's a PDR guy (and a crypto guy who made out early). Self-employed and he's REALLY GOOD! He always put his small company decal on the back window of his prior Gallardo and now has it on the back piece of glass behind the seats. They told him he can't come in UNLESS he paid $300!

He said he'd leave, as he didn't know about the fee and was pissed he was told what he can and can't have on his car. They were adamant for him to not leave, "please stay, just pay $300". Yeah, he left. Place is becoming a **** show! 😞 Shame as it was a good show at one point. And I'll go for a little bit if I don't have something else going on (I can go for a bit and book before it gets super crazy) Just felt like sleeping in a bit (as I leave around 7:15 to get a spot by 8 am) this past weekend.

Just an FYI, the owner of the Speedtail is the same guy who has the F40 that shows up, and also a Burton Blue P1 and other McLarens. He goes by @dougie196 on Instagram. Nice guy.

Also, McLaren is having their last Supercar event Sunday during the F1 race. From 2-6.

I can't believe they are really asking people to pay $300 just to park in the lot because they have an exotic car. That's crazy. I wouldn't pay it just based on the principle alone, it's a free lot. I wouldn't even pay the $20.

I hadn't been in a while because it's a lot of effort to wake up that early, get dressed up because I'm not going to go looking like I just got out of bed, just to get a spot in the lot.

Yeah. We are from the same town, and he had a purple lambo so I’ll always associate purple cars with him. :lol:

He’s like 4-5 years older than me and had a nogaro blue b5 s4 when I was probably around 16 that I thought was the best car ever. That car Definitely inspired some of my love for Audis. :lol:
no way! i grew up watching his show

definitely influenced my love for doing dumb things :lol:

hes a legend
wagons are too beautiful

I can't believe they are really asking people to pay $300 just to park in the lot because they have an exotic car. That's crazy. I wouldn't pay it just based on the principle alone, it's a free lot. I wouldn't even pay the $20.

I hadn't been in a while because it's a lot of effort to wake up that early, get dressed up because I'm not going to go looking like I just got out of bed, just to get a spot in the lot.

It's not because they have an exotic car. It's because the detail companies either bring a client's car to display or some have their own exotic. And they aren't asking, that's what it costs to display one's company name there if you want to bring said car. What I don't get is why have 6 detailers at one small gathering? Silly. And the $20 is dumb too for a reserved spot for regular people who actually agree to pay.

Thankfully, I'm a morning person. I get up by 6 anyhow to feed our cats, and when I'm up, I'm wide awake so I can get ready and head out. Plus it's only 30 minutes from where I live driving back roads that early on a Sunday. I'll probably go to the last ones he has in November.

IIRC, Multimatic is also building the $200k Bronco R.

IIRC, Multimatic is also building the $200k Bronco R.

The race one? They probably are. They have a long and dedicated history to making some amazing vehicles. They did the Aston Martin 0ne-77, the Aston Zagato collabs and are building the Valkyrie!

My good friends who got a new Ford GT a few years ago, took the tour up there (when their car was being built) and they said the shop is INCREDIBLE!!

Mitsubishi should join small truck gang, bring back the mighty max and slap a 4g63 in it with about 350 hp and a 6 speed.

Yeah right… :lol:

Back
Top Bottom