\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Theres a few rich folk with R34 here on the street in CA. Not sure what their secret is. Maybe they just payed an outrageous amount for one of the few Motorex cars that are exempt

That’s what I’m guessing the dude did here back in the day. He was loaded.

it is horse****. Look at what Acura did with the new NSX and what Nissan did when they brought back the GTR. Even if people dont prefer those over the 90s legends of those cars, there's no argument that they arent incredible cars. Then you got Toyota, bringing back the legendary Supra as a Scion FRS (another junk car) with BMW components, and not even BMW's good components LOL. ****, they couldnt even give the car a DCT tranmission? Thats pathetic. You got one trans option, automatic, and it aint even a Dual Clutch. Some sports car...
This was such a layup for Toyota and they...
CnqD.gif

Oh we still talking about the Supra, car is total horse ****, car is underpowered, overpriced, the car has the worst of both car companies. BMW engine so reliability be damned as well as the maintenance cost. Toyota engineers got lazy with the design almost a damn carbon copy of the Z4 with less horsepower. Don't give me an average car and try and say it is so the aftermarket can have fun with it. Why not release the car in the 400hp range from the factory, the market for these is nostalgia, not performance. A used S5 or M4 will run these with no worry about voiding the warranty on a new car.
If the market for the Supra is only nostalgia, then Toyota would be screwed if they marketed it to ex-Supra owners. Plain and simple. They only made 11000 of the MKIV (according to Google). Not many people. The rest of the people that claim they're interested don't even have a clue what the old one was like other than reading about them.

Would the Supra have been cooler if they had engineered it on their own, made a new 2JZ engine, and an entirely new platform? Of course. Doesn't sound like that was financially possible. Especially if the market is driven by nostalgic Supra owners, who by the numbers are a rare breed.

I don't really understand the Japanese nostalgia fascination. People said the same thing about the NSX, blah blah blah it's not the same as the old one. Of course it isn't, it's 20 years newer :lol: . No one says this about Mustangs or Corvettes. No one says this about Ferrari's or Lamborghini's either. I don't get it. Perhaps that's because those cars I just mentioned kept being produced, and didn't have a 20 year gap in between where people made them into larger than life legends that the new versions could never live up to.

I do agree with Nelson though, not sure why they at least didn't use a DCT transmission. I can understand the argument for no manual if they are worried about sales, less and less manuals are being sold all the time. Maybe this car will get better as the model years progress, and Toyota just wanted to get it out there and stop messing around with it.

If the market for the Supra is only nostalgia, then Toyota would be screwed if they marketed it to ex-Supra owners. Plain and simple. They only made 11000 of the MKIV (according to Google). Not many people. The rest of the people that claim they're interested don't even have a clue what the old one was like other than reading about them.

Would the Supra have been cooler if they had engineered it on their own, made a new 2JZ engine, and an entirely new platform? Of course. Doesn't sound like that was financially possible. Especially if the market is driven by nostalgic Supra owners, who by the numbers are a rare breed.

I don't really understand the Japanese nostalgia fascination. People said the same thing about the NSX, blah blah blah it's not the same as the old one. Of course it isn't, it's 20 years newer :lol: . No one says this about Mustangs or Corvettes. No one says this about Ferrari's or Lamborghini's either. I don't get it. Perhaps that's because those cars I just mentioned kept being produced, and didn't have a 20 year gap in between where people made them into larger than life legends that the new versions could never live up to.

I do agree with Nelson though, not sure why they at least didn't use a DCT transmission. I can understand the argument for no manual if they are worried about sales, less and less manuals are being sold all the time. Maybe this car will get better as the model years progress, and Toyota just wanted to get it out there and stop messing around with it.
I have my opinion on it but did the FRS get better over it's life with Scion?

I have my opinion on it but did the FRS get better over it's life with Scion?
Fair enough, definitely entitled to your own opinion. Like I said earlier, I'm not a Toyota guy so I don't really care either way, but I've found the whole reaction and reception to this car pretty interesting. And no, objectively, the FRS did not get better over it's life. Nor did the BRZ, either. They definitely missed an opportunity to put a turbo or supercharger on them and make a TRD or STI version. So who knows what will happen with the Supra.

It's also interesting that Toyota didn't just use say the Lexus LC or RC platform, and build the Supra on that. Seems like they were REALLY attached to the idea of the Supra needing to have an inline 6 at all costs. I wonder how people would have reacted if they had built the Supra on the Lexus LC or RC platform, and it had come with a V8 engine or a turbo V6 instead (since they don't make an inline 6). Would that have been a better solution? It would have been all Toyota/Lexus, but have had the wrong kind of engine. People probably would have been pissed if they had released it that way too :lol:

And look at how well the NSX sold (sarcasm; however I'd still like to drive one).
Not great but that's because they tried to get almost 200k for it. It's still an insane car and would wipe the floor with the OG NSX performance wise. Same can't be said for this new supra vs the old one

I think the difference is the original NSX offered supercar performance, so Acura had no choice but to build the new NSX as a supercar.

The Supra on the other hand, well let's not forget about this:

1985_toyota_supra_2_dr_liftback_p-type-pic-15851-1600x1200.jpeg

The other cars you mentioned aren’t compared to the old cars because imo they stuck to their roots. The challenger had a huge gap and when it came back I don’t think many people were disappointed. Same with the other muscle cars. Imagine if they brought back the challenger but with no hemi. It would be getting the same hate that the Supra is getting

The other cars you mentioned aren’t compared to the old cars because imo they stuck to their roots. The challenger had a huge gap and when it came back I don’t think many people were disappointed. Same with the other muscle cars. Imagine if they brought back the challenger but with no hemi. It would be getting the same hate that the Supra is getting
Yea true. Although the Charger came back as a 4 door, which IMO is even more heinous, but most people were fine with that too.

https://www.wafb.com/2019/05/14/nc-man-shares-mileage-milestone-honda-accord-hits-million-miles/

NC man shares mileage milestone: Honda Accord hits 1 million miles
NAZQYYXCANGVVAAFAU62HUHISM.jpg

A vehicle inspector from North Carolina has hit a major mileage milestone - his 2000 Honda Accord just eclipsed 1 million miles. (Provided by Dexter Mills)
By Mark Davenport | May 13, 2019 at 4:20 PM CDT - Updated May 14 at 5:53 PM
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A vehicle inspector from North Carolina has hit a major mileage milestone - his 2000 Honda Accord just eclipsed 1 million miles.

“This car has been absolutely fantastic!” said Dexter Mills in a Facebook post.

Mills, who is from the Durham area, posted a photo of his odometer on social media when he hit the milestone in March. He said his Accord was trying to tell him she is was ready to retire.

The former automotive technician said he would joke with co-workers about cars having a mind of their own.

In his Facebook post, he said one of the car’s warning lights started flashing for the first time ever after crossing the million mile mark.

“A quick diagnostic check didn’t show any abnormalities,” said Mills. “I think I got the message.”

Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Do not sleep on the B58 engine in the new Supra. Those things are making impressive numbers and it’s only a matter of time before you see downpipe and full e85 tuned Supras probably hurting some feelings :lol: Sidenote: Not even a huge fan of the car but the B58 performance speaks for itself.

Starting to think some of these dudes that hate the car that much were raised by F&F, Gran Turismo, Underground and Initial D. I am myself but. Naaah..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom