Post your home network setup Vol. streaming HD video, network storage, etc.

NT Fam
I would like to play video on my HDTV. I have some videos that are in mkv so is it possible to stream them or play them on a HDTV?
I thinking about getting this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I don't want to stream because I've heard it's slow etc. I would rather play it natively then having to worry about my internet connection.
Any help is greatly appreciated and as always thanks NT.
pimp.gif

i have an apple airport extreme router, synology ds211j NAS with two 1TB samsung F3 drives in a RAID 1 setup.  the synology has been perfect so far, i can wirelessly do time machine backups to my macbook, they also have an app for iphones/ipads so you can access photos or music remotely, saves space on my iphone & ipad.  i also have my ps3 and hp 100 envy printer connected wirelessly.

I need to get a new NAS, the WD MY book word edition is way too slow. I did end up getting the WD TV Live hub for the media room. The interface looks pretty sweet, automatically finds all the info for your video files including trailers. Also has a built in 1TB HD that can be used as a NAS, but again transfer is really slow.
10155309.jpg

screen5.jpg

Originally Posted by djuzi05

I need to get a new NAS, the WD MY book word edition is way too slow. I did end up getting the WD TV Live hub for the media room. The interface looks pretty sweet, automatically finds all the info for your video files including trailers. Also has a built in 1TB HD that can be used as a NAS, but again transfer is really slow

How fast are the transfer speeds? Can it play mkv effortlessly.Can I hook it up to my mac and use it as a hard drive just to save onto it? I heard that you can only add files to the device from it's interface.

Question for all: I would like to buy a media server.
Uses: plays any file format under the sun.
Able to connect to my WD 2th elements HD and my passport 500gb
Able to play videos locally just from my external HD and not be forced to use wifi.
I thinking about purchasing a WD tv live plus or a roku xds
Any help is appreciated.

Linksys WRT54G
Cable modem
Laptop
Netbook
2 Android phones on Wi-Fi
PS3(Gaming,Netflix)
Xbox 360
Wi-Fi Canon Printer

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

What's the point of a nas? Tbh if I was going to make a media box I'd first build a cheap build throw ubuntu on it with mythtv, sabnzbd, music player deamom. From there set all pcs on network to download through sabnzbd and set it up so all pcs to the network play music trough the mpd server.

NAS probably uses less power and saves space.

i'm a network admin, and all you need is this:

pogoplug-web-architecture-annotated.jpg

- streams to xbox 360 (plays HD vids)
- streams to iphone/ipod touch via pogoplug app --- see ur pix, mp3s, files, movies,etc
- has auto backup of any files/directories you want via desktop client
- is ACCESSIBLE anywhere you have an internet connection
- you can add 4 external harddrives/thumbdrives..currently i have 2TB connected to this.

ALL for $99.00!!  WINNING  
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by lokiD40

- streams to iphone/ipod touch via pogoplug app --- see ur pix, mp3s, files, movies,etc
- you can add 4 external harddrives/thumbdrives..currently i have 2TB connected to this.

pimp.gif

eek.gif
Do they sell this on amazon brah?
Can this device handle 1080p video/audio playblack wirelessly and natively from an external hard drive? Also does it play mkvs well?
Thanks for the recommendation man.

Anybody got any reccommendations for a media player? I need it to be silent. Must have netflix. Should be able to hook up a HD to it for native play. built in wifi optional. MUST be able to play mkv, avi, mp4, etc. Ability to install an internal hard drive into the media player optional.

I need to get a new NAS, the WD MY book word edition is way too slow. I did end up getting the WD TV Live hub for the media room. The interface looks pretty sweet, automatically finds all the info for your video files including trailers. Also has a built in 1TB HD that can be used as a NAS, but again transfer is really slow.
10155309.jpg

screen5.jpg

Can you hook the player up to ur computer with usb and use it as a hard drive? How slow are the transfers? How long does it takes to transfer a movie? Hich is about 700mb. Im thinking about getting this, a boxee, or the older generation of wd media players. Any help is appreciated man!Edit: also with ur wd media player are you able to stream hd content without much lag? I have a 6mb connection so is thatsufficent enough to stream 1080p? Also are you able to playmkv, avi, mpg, mp4, divx, or wmvs without much trouble?

Originally Posted by lokiD40

pimp.gif
eek.gif
Copped!!!

BK201 wrote:

Can this device handle 1080p video/audio playblack wirelessly and natively from an external hard drive? Also does it play mkvs well?
Thanks for the recommendation man.

This.
That device looks ugly as hell
sick.gif

I would only be interest since I could access my files through my app (even though drop box offers the same), otherwise TV sets nowadays have internet to stream from your home network directly (boxes would be obsolete soon).

Originally Posted by BK201

10155309.jpg

screen5.jpg

Can you hook the player up to ur computer with usb and use it as a hard drive? How slow are the transfers? How long does it takes to transfer a movie? Hich is about 700mb. Im thinking about getting this, a boxee, or the older generation of wd media players. Any help is appreciated man!
Edit: also with ur wd media player are you able to stream hd content without much lag? I have a 6mb connection so is thatsufficent enough to stream 1080p? Also are you able to playmkv, avi, mpg, mp4, divx, or wmvs without much trouble?

Personally, I like to stay away from WIFI whenever I can. I have the WDTV connected via ethernet and all my video files on the WD NAS which is also on ethernet. The WDTV can play all files with no problem, I've watched MKVs with no hiccups and it looks beautiful on a 100 in. screen. Again transferring files to the WDTV is kind of slow, I can't remember off my head but I think it gets like 6-10 MB/s depending on where your transferring from. It's not awful but nowhere close to USB speed. Once everything is transferred though, it's smooth sailing. No lagging.

I'm going to transfer all my videos from the NAS to the WDTV soon so i can use the NAS as a time machine and I'm sure it's going to take like half a day. I think I'm going to invest in a diskless Synology and add some faster drives.

I've streamed MKVs over wifi to a samsung blu player with not too many issues either. Might skip like once or twice during the movie, but it was still enough for me to hardwire everything.

Any computer that connects to your network, via wifi or ethernet, will be able to see the WDTV and NAS and you can transfer files back and forth. Again it's slow over wifi for big files, so if I'm transferring a movie I try to connect my computer to ethernet. In summary, Playback=great, Transfer=slow. Oh and you can't access the drives via USB only over the network.

As for the POGO plug, I'm not really fond of cloud storage yet if it's just for a home network. Too many variables, and it's not great for video yet. Stick with a good NAS, any of the big media players (WDTV, Boxee, Popcorn), ethernet, and you should be watching all your movies with no problems.

And I wish Samsung would fix the DLNA (video streaming) on their TVs so I could get rid of the boxes. It'll find all your files over the network superbly but there are no playback controls
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by BK201

10155309.jpg

screen5.jpg

Can you hook the player up to ur computer with usb and use it as a hard drive? How slow are the transfers? How long does it takes to transfer a movie? Hich is about 700mb. Im thinking about getting this, a boxee, or the older generation of wd media players. Any help is appreciated man!
Edit: also with ur wd media player are you able to stream hd content without much lag? I have a 6mb connection so is thatsufficent enough to stream 1080p? Also are you able to playmkv, avi, mpg, mp4, divx, or wmvs without much trouble?

Personally, I like to stay away from WIFI whenever I can. I have the WDTV connected via ethernet and all my video files on the WD NAS which is also on ethernet. The WDTV can play all files with no problem, I've watched MKVs with no hiccups and it looks beautiful on a 100 in. screen. Again transferring files to the WDTV is kind of slow, I can't remember off my head but I think it gets like 6-10 MB/s depending on where your transferring from. It's not awful but nowhere close to USB speed. Once everything is transferred though, it's smooth sailing. No lagging.

I'm going to transfer all my videos from the NAS to the WDTV soon so i can use the NAS as a time machine and I'm sure it's going to take like half a day. I think I'm going to invest in a diskless Synology and add some faster drives.

I've streamed MKVs over wifi to a samsung blu player with not too many issues either. Might skip like once or twice during the movie, but it was still enough for me to hardwire everything.

Any computer that connects to your network, via wifi or ethernet, will be able to see the WDTV and NAS and you can transfer files back and forth. Again it's slow over wifi for big files, so if I'm transferring a movie I try to connect my computer to ethernet. In summary, Playback=great, Transfer=slow. Oh and you can't access the drives via USB only over the network.

As for the POGO plug, I'm not really fond of cloud storage yet if it's just for a home network. Too many variables, and it's not great for video yet. Stick with a good NAS, any of the big media players (WDTV, Boxee, Popcorn), ethernet, and you should be watching all your movies with no problems.

And I wish Samsung would fix the DLNA (video streaming) on their TVs so I could get rid of the boxes. It'll find all your files over the network superbly but there are no playback controls
indifferent.gif
Damn man thanks a lot for that information!!
So you are not able to hook up the WD TV Hub to your comp via usb and transfer files to it as if it it were an external hard drive?
Here's my plan now: purchase a WD TV Live Plus and purchase a portable WD Elements 750 GB external hard drive. Save movies to the external and then hook it up to the media player. Is this a good idea?

The POGO device seems to be cool to share photos and some small sized files, but the device is ugly and you have to connect devices directly to it? Would just add to the clutter of a home theater set up, I am good with an HDMI cable straight from my video card to my 50" TV (four 1.5 TB drives in my build).

TV has built in internet so I could always stream, but no point in streaming if my build is close byand playing MVK files could be affected by my internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom