Prerequisites UNappreciation Thread

HIM

So im in my 3rd year at Cal State Northridge and Im sitting here trying to register for classes.
Im a business Management major and So far I've gotten into Accouting 220 and Philosphy 305.

I just finished my lower division GEs this semester and philosphy is gonna fufill my requirements for upper division GEs as well as take a care of a businessmanagement requirement.

Now when i should be taking more of my major classes I can't cuz i Accouting 230 is a prerequiste for all of them. I can't take 230 becuase accoutnign220 is a prerequisite for that. I could'nt take Accounting 220 this semester because Math 103 (business calculus) was a prequisite for that so i took thatinstead this semester.

smh.gif
at me for not taking math 103 one semester sooner

so now im stuck with 6 units and im gonna have to take 2 BS GE's just so im full time and get my financial aid.

cliff notes.
Need to take business courses but acct 230 is a prerequisite for that.
-cant take 230 cuz 220 is a prerequisite for that
-couldnt take 220 cuz math 103 was a prerequiste for that and took that instead
-Have to take BS classes to keep full time status and recieve financial aid.

I know im not the only one that's having this problem
tired.gif

Share your stories.

I cant take structures for architecture because I need physics, I cant take physics because I need calculus, I cant take calculus because I need trig
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
smh.gif

i'm pretty sure financial aid only covers you for 8 semesters, though, so maybe you might not want to take bs classes....

You should just add it. If they don't audit you, you'll be safe. When I first transferred to a CSU, they said I couldn't take any upper divisionsbecause I still needed to take some of their stupid lower division requirements. I still registered for the upper division courses anyways and finished theclasses with no problem.

You don't have to take the pre-reqs (atleast at my school) to register. It is on you to know all the material to do well. Of course, use common sense.Don't astrophysics without taking physics first.

I thought you were suppose to know this before hand.

The computer tells me everytime I try to get ahead of myself

It's called planning out your courses.

You have to look a couple of semesters/quarters ahead, to kind of map it out.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

i'm pretty sure financial aid only covers you for 8 semesters, though, so maybe you might not want to take bs classes....

indifferent.gif
are you serious?, I got 5 more year
frown.gif

but in some states you cant test out of a class, ex: FL, and how the hell do you test out of calculus?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cgutta

damn you dudes in on some super fail type stuff, you should try testing out of the classes you already now, i don't think i have had to do more than one prerequisite to get into a class i needed
I should've took the math103 exemption test but after taking the class i don't think i would have passed anyway. I messed up waiting solong to take 103.
smh.gif

There's nothing i can do. If i take less than 12 units financial aid won't cover me, either.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

True. Which is what I'm definitely doing for the rest of my time here.

dont listen to them. JUST TAKE IT. Its your money. Had i know about stuff like this before when i first entered school i would of just did whatever i pleasedbut i thought i had to follow a "system"..little did i know
smh.gif

aye hows calstate northridge? i was planning on going there but i dont really like the area that much. where do you live? do you commute?

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

indifferent.gif
are you serious?, I got 5 more year
frown.gif

but in some states you cant test out of a class, ex: FL, and how the hell do you test out of calculus?
laugh.gif
Take AP Calc in high school and do good on the AP test so that the college will accept it as credit. You still might have to take the mathplacement test. It all depends on the college.

Originally Posted by erupt107th

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

True. Which is what I'm definitely doing for the rest of my time here.
With the way things are going at CSU's and UC's you really should. Classes getting canceled left and right.
smh.gif

PS- If you're worried about FinAid running out, try to get your GE's done at local CC. It's cheaper, and you can leave your FinAid for your UpperDivision/Major coursework.

SiMPLYDiMPLY wrote:

There's nothing i can do. If i take less than 12 units financial aid won't cover me, either.

i know but eventually it's going to have to come out of your pocket if you are in school 8+ semesters, so why not just take the two classes now and pay outof pocket and then use the financial aid when you really need it? just a suggestion.

so youre taking the math 103? i'm sure there are other classes you need that are part of your major that you can take

SiMPLYDiMPLY wrote:

i know but eventually it's going to have to come out of your pocket if you are in school 8+ semesters, so why not just take the two classes now and pay out of pocket and then use the financial aid when you really need it? just a suggestion.

Yeah she's right. Im going to be in the same situation, 2 semesters of summer that wont be covered by financial aid or schollys, so Im loadingup on reqs now, so when I take those summer semesters I'll only be paying for core classes.

My school's price per credit =
indifferent.gif

i mean, i am no authority on financial aid but i just want you to look into it NOW before you are stuck in the end... like do your HW now so you don't haveto get *+%**% over... kinda like the prereqs... anyhow just talk to your financial aid office and make sure.

i mean, i am no authority on financial aid but i just want you to look into it NOW before you are stuck in the end... like do your HW now so you don't have to get *+%**% over... kinda like the prereqs... anyhow just talk to your financial aid office and make sure.Can
Is it even an option for him to defer financial aid for a semester if he's still in school? Come to think of it I dont think its an option.Thats how my school is at least. Best bet is loading up now to lessen the burden when he's paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom