Project Natal (XBOX 360)

call me old fashioned but i like to sit in the couch with a controller in my hand and play my games. i look dumb enough waving the wiimote.

Originally Posted by northparkblind

Originally Posted by vandalshark

call me old fashioned but i like to sit in the couch with a controller in my hand and play my games. i look dumb enough waving the wiimote.
But you'll probably be by yourself. Anyway I'm all for this, it looks like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Word is that it's going to be $199.99... I'm going to feel like a damn Jedi waving my hands around at the TV
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Imagine playing Call of Duty on this
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Straight up G
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Rafool

Originally Posted by nnarum

Word is that it's going to be $199.99... I'm going to feel like a damn Jedi waving my hands around at the TV
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Imagine playing Call of Duty on this
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Straight up G
pimp.gif
yea it would be like youre 10 years old all over again, pretending youre holding an actual rifle and going "gagagagagagagaga"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hassan16

I don't think its real...
It's not, at least the Milo part is far fetched, read below.

Via news.spong.com
Remember at about 1:55 in the Lionhead video of Project Natal, Peter Molyneux (now creative director at Microsoft Game Studios) points out "This wasn't acted"? If you don't, the video is below. Well, maybe that particular moment of goggle throwing wasn't.

What's interesting, however, is that Peter also points out (1:58) that "Everybody, every single person, that has experienced this reaches down (to catch the goggles that Milo throws)". Sure, this demo featuring uncanny Milo was obviously run hundreds of times with various staff members before being rolled out in front of the E3 crowds. That said, then, we can't be expected to believe that this is the first time that 'Claire' stood in front of the virtual lad. Something rankled...

Fast forward to 2:36 on the video, where Claire (or Clare) plays with the water. The reflection of Clare on screen shows her arms in roughly the correct positions in respect to real Clare. The water seems to be moving based in her hand movements.

However, keep watching to the point (2:37) where she appears to make a rippled appear on the left-hand side of the screen. Real Clare's arms are almost crossed in front of her. 'Reflected' Clare's arms are spread out. Even more startling is the fact that (see the screenshot) the ripple begins before Clare begins her gesture.

Says Peter Molyneux at this point, "There Clare is, in Milo's world. She's in that pond. Every hand movement is being recognised." Well, from the look of the footage is seems that either every hand movement is being pre-recognised, which is even more of an achievement.

Another few moments of fun include Clare's picture of a fish at about 3:35. Says Peter, "Clare drew a picture on a piece of paper... Milo looked at that piece of paper, recognised the shape, recognised the colour... and able to get on with his project". Sure, there's a bad piece of editing between "colour" and "able to get on" but that's not really the issue. The fact is that all Milo says is, "Orange, that's good", no fish recognition there. But we nitpick on that one.

The reason for the nitpickery being that darned pre-gesture ripple and the position of Clare's arms.

The fact that Peter ends his Molyneuxian presentation with, "This is true technology that science fiction has not even written about... and this works... today... now".

Weeeeell, sort of. Let's get one thing straight, we're not saying that Natal is out-and-out FUD that will never appear and that the Milo/Lionhead video is a complete and utter fake. We are saying that the Lionhead video is rather more acted, rather less well edited and just a tad less pushing the boundaries of "true technology" than we'd initially been lead to believe.

That is, of course, unless Milo's pond can recognise a hand movement before it's made.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by ethanlee29

if they ever got a playable basketball game
eek.gif
oh and that milo thing is crazyyyyyy
EDIT: here's milo

Milo will kill us all
ohwell.gif
So like...

Say I was having a bad day....Or something...

Could I perhaps just bug out and stomp dude out virually?

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by hassan16

I don't think its real...
It's not, at least the Milo part is far fetched, read below.

Via news.spong.com
Remember at about 1:55 in the Lionhead video of Project Natal, Peter Molyneux (now creative director at Microsoft Game Studios) points out "This wasn't acted"? If you don't, the video is below. Well, maybe that particular moment of goggle throwing wasn't.

What's interesting, however, is that Peter also points out (1:58) that "Everybody, every single person, that has experienced this reaches down (to catch the goggles that Milo throws)". Sure, this demo featuring uncanny Milo was obviously run hundreds of times with various staff members before being rolled out in front of the E3 crowds. That said, then, we can't be expected to believe that this is the first time that 'Claire' stood in front of the virtual lad. Something rankled...

Fast forward to 2:36 on the video, where Claire (or Clare) plays with the water. The reflection of Clare on screen shows her arms in roughly the correct positions in respect to real Clare. The water seems to be moving based in her hand movements.

However, keep watching to the point (2:37) where she appears to make a rippled appear on the left-hand side of the screen. Real Clare's arms are almost crossed in front of her. 'Reflected' Clare's arms are spread out. Even more startling is the fact that (see the screenshot) the ripple begins before Clare begins her gesture.

Says Peter Molyneux at this point, "There Clare is, in Milo's world. She's in that pond. Every hand movement is being recognised." Well, from the look of the footage is seems that either every hand movement is being pre-recognised, which is even more of an achievement.

Another few moments of fun include Clare's picture of a fish at about 3:35. Says Peter, "Clare drew a picture on a piece of paper... Milo looked at that piece of paper, recognised the shape, recognised the colour... and able to get on with his project". Sure, there's a bad piece of editing between "colour" and "able to get on" but that's not really the issue. The fact is that all Milo says is, "Orange, that's good", no fish recognition there. But we nitpick on that one.

The reason for the nitpickery being that darned pre-gesture ripple and the position of Clare's arms.

The fact that Peter ends his Molyneuxian presentation with, "This is true technology that science fiction has not even written about... and this works... today... now".

Weeeeell, sort of. Let's get one thing straight, we're not saying that Natal is out-and-out FUD that will never appear and that the Milo/Lionhead video is a complete and utter fake. We are saying that the Lionhead video is rather more acted, rather less well edited and just a tad less pushing the boundaries of "true technology" than we'd initially been lead to believe.

That is, of course, unless Milo's pond can recognise a hand movement before it's made.

ive been reading over the journalist recounts of their experiences with it and pretty much what i got out of it was that journalists asked it dozens, maybehundreds of questions and milo had no idea what the hell they were talking about, and often he'd just walk away from them
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
, and from my understanding these were simple questions toolike "how are you doing milo?" or "how are you," pretty much every journalist's recount of milo was something like:

journalist says name
milo - hello (insert common people names) name of journalist
milo - i see that you're wearing a (insert correct color) shirt today (to the journalist)
journalist ask dozens of questions
milo has no idea what theyre talking about

people are seriously going overboard on this milo stuff like its some kind of artificial intelligence or something, its just key-speech recognition, andpossibly facial structure placement,

u guys see that part of the presentation where the lady is moving through videos with her finger and says "play now" - yeah, thats basically whatmilo is right there

like i said above, tremendous potential but im totally discounting everything that was done off stage in those presentation videos, the only viable demos intheir present stage were the paint demo and the ricochet-ball demo

yea thisll be dope when it comes up. i have hi hopes.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by ethanlee29

if they ever got a playable basketball game
eek.gif
oh and that milo thing is crazyyyyyy
EDIT: here's milo

Milo will kill us all
ohwell.gif
So like...

Say I was having a bad day....Or something...

Could I perhaps just bug out and stomp dude out virually?
eek.gif

milo will become neo and get out that matrix

it is impressive but seriously who the hell wanna do this kind of stuff? i think all these motion mumbo jumbo are a bunch of crap no matter how hi-tech itis ....all i wanna do when i get home from work and gym is relax ..i dont need to move around looking like a fool trying a play a video game ...

laugh.gif
grown @!@ man, hiding behind the sofa for cover while playing CoD
roll.gif
roll.gif

minority_report_interface.jpg

First thing I thought of....

Second thing I thought of....well a much more interactive My Plaything series...

Back
Top Bottom