PROOF That Flywire Is Really Just Thread...Even On The Running Shoes

Oh come on. I'm not hating, after all I bought the freaking shoes knowing it had "flywire",even though my thoughts about flywire are still up in the air (but the overall feel of the 2009's and design was a huge selling point for me). The ONLYreason I took them back was because both pair had loose threads and I aint paying $170 for sketchy quality (mind you I am referring to the pair Ireceived...not the Air Max 2009's in general).

And anyway I am a consumer of Nike products, and if I feel that something that they are touting is questionable I havevery right as a consumer to express that. That is not hating and that's NOT being negative...that is my right as a consumer. I don't care if PhilKnight himself came and posted in here, I'd still feel the same way about Flywire.

i really truly believed flywire was nothing more than string when i looked at the new air spans and they used the same string as the "flywire" asthey did for the stitching on the shoe. the "vectran" looked a little frayed and eerily similar to the regular old thread used for the stitching onthe shoe.

Flywire is not a gimmick. how many of you have ever used kevlar braid? looks and feels just like anything else, until you pull or heat it.

^^^your right about kevlar braid...but thats our point. the flywire isnt made of vectran as they claim. from my experiences with it it seems to be nothing morethan thread.

Yeah my hyper dunks are worn on the inner panels and he flywire even ripped. But it's new technology still to develop

So if I lit my Hyperdunks on Fire all that would be left is the Thread?

Maybe I'll try that on my Snake Pool Orangish Yellow Ones.. lol

strength of the nylon thread aside, what's the point of nike developing and advertising the vectran wire if the public won't even be able to use it?

i knew nike would pull some #+** like this, they advertise flywire as being made of vectran then just use plastic covered nylon on the ones that actuallyrelease. so basically you are paying these 100+ dollar prices for replica shoes.

so while people are paying to finance the R&D for flywire, they arent actually reaping the benefits of it....how gay. same story, different shoe. nikefound a way to dilute the quality of their product while not dropping the pricepoint, then they come up with some bull #+** explanation for why they did it.

Aesthetically, I do think it looks alright on some shoes, but what bothers me is how much plastic they have to use around the flywire. Nearly half your shoe ismade of plastic.

I said heat it, not light it on fire. Guess you're not a technical kinda guy.

isnt it the same concept as carbonfiber?? all it is thread with a coat or something over it to make it stronger??

Originally Posted by BunInJapan

Hey All,

Here is a link to a post I made over on Dyestat about Flywire: http://www.talk.dyestat.com/showpost.php?p=2922844&postcount=2

And here is a direct link to the article I quoted in the above link: http://www.shoeguide.co.uk/exec/art...d_footwear_including_matumbo_and_zoom_victory

In short, Flywire for retail is nylon thread while Flywire for the `Elites` is Vectran.

Bun
Nice first post (seems like you have some knowledge). Thanks for those links. I mean I try notto be a complete skeptic, but then again I'm not about to doubt what I see or feel about a product because of a manufacturers marketing efforts. In thiscase I had assumed after close observation that flywire was regular nylon thread, when I actually received a pair with the "flywire" exposed itconfirmed my beliefs. That is all.

Originally Posted by DA HEN

I said heat it, not light it on fire. Guess you're not a technical kinda guy.

Hen.. you don't realize it but half the time I am being funny...

Bun set the record straight.. but like it has been posted.. YES.. I know better...

Flywire... Gimmick.
If the cabling theory were to really be put into effect.. the thread IMO would reach across the lacing.. not loop back around the lacing in some instances...

The Material "Flywire" (and I think I'll use the quotes for obvious reasons) is used on is alot more stable than the "flywire" itself.

However I think the Lebron will institute Flywire and Not "Flywire" due to its Pricepoint... Im just glad and hope Brons line will NEVER see Lunar orLunar Lite or Lunar Heavy... EVER..

It wasn't really been a year since the introduction of this supposed innovation. Can't wait to see how they improve the process of embedding flywireinto future products.

Anything with Lunarcrap cushioning, er, smooshioning, should be lit on fire and left to burn.

Flywire is just thread. The way it is wound and placed on the sneaker is what makes it functional. Not many people buy sneakers only because of the flywire...

Back in college I took a class on "fiber reinforcing concrete structures" to increase the strength and capacity of columns for bridges etc. In thatclass we studied the use of carbon fiber meshes, fiberglass meshes and also kevlar meshes to strengthen these structures. Basically you would have a"wrap" of this material and would glue it to the whole surface of the column. It had to be continuous around the whole surface of the concrete andalso needs to be pre-tensioned. I hope that my explanation makes sense.

Based on what I've heard about this flywire technology. It is a definitely a gimmick because it is made up of just individual threads (which is not evenkevlar or vectran but just nylon) and not even a mesh. Also it doesn't "wrap" continuously around the shoe nor is it tensioned around your foot.
Tell me what you guys think.

These are the types of discussions I really enjoy. I haven't played in a shoe with Flywire yet, so I can't speak to the benefits personally. Historically, the vast majority of NIKE technologies have delivered, and it seems unlikely to me that they would put the U.S. Olympic teams in a product thatdidn't perform. So far, I'm not aware of any reports of lateral or linear blowouts in Flywire uppers. Here's some more info on Vectran for thedebate. Does anyone one here have a background in industrial design or biomechanics that can elaborate?

Vectran
[emoji]174[/emoji] Fiber FactSheet
About
Vectran[emoji]174[/emoji]is the name of a brand of synthetic yarns and also the division of Kuraray
America, Inc. that manufactures, sells and services these products. Vectran fiber is a

multifilament polyester-polyarylate yarn spun from liquid crystal polymer (LCP) and

used in a wide range of applications where strength, durability and dimensional

stability are critical to performance and safety.

Timeline 1980s
Vectran fiber is first spun frompolyester-polyarylate LCP polymer.
Initial applications include specialty threads, low-creep ropes and

cords, and lightweight protective fabrics for spacecrafts.

1990s
Vectran fiber makes its debut in high-strength ropesand cables. Dr.
Walter Paul, a senior engineer with Woods Hole Oceanographic

Institution, demonstrates that Vectran fiber performs better than

aramids for submarine towed array applications. Large-scale

production begins.

2000s
Mars rover landings highlight Vectran's extensiveuse in spacecraft
and decelerator applications. Use of Vectran fibers expands into

military inflatables, sporting goods and industrial fabrics.

The Vectran fibers business unit of Celanese AdvancedMaterials is
acquired by Kuraray America, Inc., the U.S. subsidiary of Kuraray

Co., Ltd. of Japan.

Vectran fiber production capacity expands to more than1,000 MT.
Today
The fiber is found in more than 50 market segments.These include
major applications such as:

cut-resistant gloves and clothing

sailcloth

fishing line

tow cables

inflatable structures

NASA space systems

heavy-lifting lines

puncture-resistant bicycle tires

cordage
Products
Vectran fiber is known for its strength, rigidity,abrasion and moisture resistance, and
property retention over broad ranges of temperature and chemical environments.

Vectran NT Low strength, good cut protection

Deniers: 200, 400, 750, 900

Vectran HT High strength, best cut protection

Deniers: 100, 200, 400, 750, 1000, 1500, 2250

Vectran UM High modulus, high strength

Denier: 1420

Solution Dyed Moderate strength, pigmented

CWK.. I saw your name and HAD to open it up as I knew there would be some concrete info to try and back Flywire...but...lol

I dont think Flywire would be the main Cog in performance where the Hyperdunk is concerned for the Olympians. I think the performance pushed was in factLunar.. Unless it was a coupling of techs... but Im pretty sure the Lunar Foam led the Charge.

As far as Nikes use of Vetran or Flywire on its Products.. I dont think the actual product is in question.. It is whether that product is actually being USEDor UTILIZED correctly.

I believe in what Flywire Can do... I've seen those Fisherman Shows. I know its strong.. lol But is Nike using the product actually OR if in fact they areusing it, which doesnt appear to be the case, are they actually using it in the correct manner.

To stabalize the shoe... and how can highly dense spools of fiber/thread/wire be dyed so efficiently in high quantities??

Call me stupid....cause that part of my orientation into the world of Flywire was not explained to me..

Ah...

The OGs are chiming in great, great.

I think Nike should step up and just dominate the sneaker world by releasing a Flywire/Vectran shoe woven/sewn like the Prestos.

Ultra-Fitting / Ultra-Lightweight.
nike-air-presto-tonal-red-sneaker.jpg

It would be
pimp.gif

/\/\/\/\
happy.gif
No, I wasn't taking a side for or against - just trying tocontribute. The concept seems architectually sound, but I don't know for sure if it's been applied effectively. And since I'm 6'7" and270, I haven't even bothered playing in any of the shoes featuring Flywire so far because I would absolutely crush the midsoles. I'm looking forwardto the Hypermax, though. It seems to me that if the shoe is lighter than normal while still maintaining structural integrity, then it would be a successfuldesign.

It seems like the logical extrapolation would be to create an entire upper made of Flywire (like the old joke of making the entire airplane out of the materialused for the black box.)
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom