Protecting yourself and other party when using Paypal

Originally Posted by IluvJordanXI

NT, what is your advice on shipping internationally? If I print a shipping label through paypal and select small flat priority box international, would paypal provide delivery confirmation? If not then what is the cheapest method to ship the item w/ delivery confirmation?
priority mail via usps should come with some sort of trackinmg # and is the cheapest method

you could also just wrap the item up in a garbage bag and go down to the post office and send it from there the cheapest way possible

If you are the seller. Ask that the buyer confirm his paypal account. If he does not wish to do so. Terminate the transaction. This will give you an added level of security since either his bank or credit card is connected to the account. Ship with tracking and signature confirmation. Put the tracking number into the transaction information within paypal. Or better yet print out the shipping from within paypal itself. You do have that option. Once you do this paypal will send the buyer the tracking number. Even more security can be had by insuring the package.
As a buyer. Never ever send a payment as a gift. Ask for a paypal invoice before you pay. Keep all the communication between you and the seller. Ask that his paypal account be confirmed. One more thing. Avoid international sellers if you are buying oustide of ebay. These are just some tips.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

Originally Posted by firmePORvida

I once heard that once the buyer removes the funds from his paypal account then Paypal cannot retrieve the funds.

Not true, They will make your account negative and if u don't pay it they send it into collection.Best thing to do is pay with a credit card thru paypal, not your bank account.With your credit card you can call them if there's a problem and they will get your money back.Paypal wont do @*#% for you.

but it is TRUE. if someone scams you and they have no money in the account then you dont get a dime back. and if they are scamming you for the sake of scamming you then they wont use the account ever again.

collections means nothing because unless paypal has your SSN they cannot do anything and it will not affect your credit score.
I just wanted to say that this isn't necessarily the case anymore (I assume that firmePORvida meant the "seller" instead of buyer). 

It used to be that for SOME transactions, the buyer was only covered up to a certain amount (with the rest of the money having to come from the seller's account).  This used to be the case for Ebay transactions where the seller didn't have a very good rating AND/OR transactions directly through Paypal.  These transactions fell under the old "Buyer Complaint Policy".

Now, practically ALL transactions on Ebay are covered with no cap (and no requirement for the seller's account to have the funds).  I said practically... apparently, there are some on Ebay that aren't completely covered (according to the Paypal user agreement)... but I haven't ever seen any.  Every auction I've seen (that is "eligible") has the big "Ebay Buyer Protection" thing on it, meaning that it is covered.

For transactions done just through Paypal, they are covered as well (assuming they meet the "eligibility" requirements)... with no cap (and no requirement for the seller's account to have the funds).

Basically, all payments are eligible for full coverage (with no requirement for the seller's account to have the funds) if the "eligibility" requirements are met (for either Paypal or Ebay transaction... but the requirements are basically the same for both, so it's not like there's much of a difference).  Just thought I would try to clear that up a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom