Question about concords and yellowing......

I was going to buy some concords deadstock from a guy and he said they are missing the carbon fiber paper that comes with the box. I asked him why and he said he took it out to stop the shoes from yellowing So i guess this is a 2 part question. Is this true and if so how does removing carbon fiber paper stop the yellowing?

what the hell???!!  I'm at a loss for words 
laugh.gif
...Honestly, don't even buy them because that just sounds so off
edit: OHHHHH ^^^^^ the carbon fiber paper...ok

laugh.gif
 I felt the same way as prozac4312 when i first read this post

Pretty sure it has to do with humidity and/or oxidation (contact with air). The best bet is to put them in Ziploc bags and squeeze as much air as possible out of them.

I took the paper out too cause I heard this. Probably has to do with the acidity also, like with storing photos. Who knows though...

It's said to be true.. I don't think anyone has sat down and broke down the science behind it.

If you're questioning whether to buy them or not, I'd say that's hardly a deal breaker. I've taken the paper out of a bunch of shoe boxes, especially suede/nubuck pairs where the paper strips the color.

I would still pull the trigger. Yellowing is caused by many things, mainly oxidation due to exposure to air and moisture. Some paper may contain acidic bases which may aid in the oxidation process, that's why many take the paper out of the box.

While this can be true, the paper needs to be old. Personally, I remove all Nike tissue paper and replace it with acid free tissue paper I buy from the container store.

I don't think I would let that deter me from not buying them. But why would he completely throw it away? That's odd

I took the paper out of every pair of concords I have because I read in the maintenance thread that the paper accelerates the yellowing....
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by prozac4312

lol

@#@?

One does not simply *take out* the carbon fiber.

/Boromir
mad.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Anyway,this does have SOME truth to it. People have found that the paper absorbs moisture and since your shoes are sitting on top of it or wrapped in it it speeds of the yellowing process. 

I'm not sure whether the so called CF paper in recent concords speeds up the yellowing process.

But it still boils down on how you store/keep it. I personally take off the paper and fold it in the box for the shoes to just sit on it for ventilation purposes since I live in a sunny part of the country.

If you are really concerned about the yellowing coz you wanna keep them DS then just put them in a ziplock.

But if you are planning to rock them,then just let them sit on the paper.

Back
Top Bottom