Question for all you FORMER sneakerheads

im still into shoes, but the days where i walked away with heinekens for a hundred bucks, or true reds instock at my local store started doubling and triplingin price. i then slowly moved towards high end fashion so yeah. i was especially intriuged by the colorways of dunks and air maxes. a part of me always wanteda pair of paris dunks. i am still in search of finding a pair in 8.5 if you have pair and are willing to part with it, please pm me and lets talk.

I don't completely understand the ideology of stopping sneaker collecting because your "grown".
There's several people in their 30's and 40's (JD, Fat Joe, Jay and a host of others) that still collect shoes

I think it's a matter of you being broke or your interests changing or as someone stated before, that your not happy
with what's being produced. But the idea that your a college freshman so you can't collect sneakers cuz your
getting your grown man on is a stretch. I don't play video games anymore but it's not because I'm "grown" (23 btw),
its because I don't have an interest in them. but Im not going to think that someone who is 25 years old and plays
COD4 is immature, thats ridiculous.

still browse through sneaker stores or ebay

It simple-my clothes don't make me, I do. As long as I look dapper what I wear is irrelevant. Sidebar-I still have an affinity for strictlylate 90's-early 2000's basketball sneakers
smokin.gif

I noticed that I got 20 pairs of shoes and realized I have shoes till I am like 45 years old so I said I would quit.

Surprised so many people dont even like sneakers anymore...i still love and appreciate them, i lurk in the sneaker showcase every now and then...i guess thatsbecause it was a"game" to me either...i wasn't a sneakerhead i just liked certain shoes specifically J's and Nikes shoes...$$## when iestablish a career for my self and get my money straight, i'd like to think that coopin some of the expensive og nike releases wont be a problem

edit:

Originally Posted by geminifly

But the idea that your a college freshman so you can't collect sneakers cuz your

getting your grown man on is a stretch.

I never said anything about getting my grown man on but with my major, i dont have time to work a job right now, money is tight...thats all there is to it

Started in 9th grade and it continued through college. After college and when I got an actual job and a steady paycheck I went through a splurge for a couplemonths trying to pick up all the pairs I missed out on in high school. Now I'm 24 and pretty much picked up every pair I've wanted. With bills to paynow though, it really started to get tired after awhile. I rarely even wear most of them nowadays. I'm always open to a new pair bringing me out ofretirement though.

I started when I was 7 or 8 stopped when I was bout 22. my older cousin got my mom to get em for me (infrared 6's). I got other intrests really, most ofthe money goes to my cars now. I always got 2 of whatever I really liked so I got shoes to wear and Im in the process of trying to get rid of some of the heat.I still love shoes but I buy em to wear now nothin to keep and nothin over the top AM 95's and stuff. I think its mostly everyone finding other interests.

I always had a thing for shoes since I was a little kid, and my parents never splurged on me like the kids that had the VIIs and VIIIs when I was in 4th grade.I would scrounge through the Sunday paper Big 5 advertisements trying to find cheap Nikes, and I remember finding a pair of Air Flights in 95 that I wanted sobad, but my parents would never let me get them. They topped out at $30 for a pair of shoes. My first Nike Airs were a pair of Agassis, and my sister pitchedin the extra $10 so I could get them. I kind of stopped caring in high school, as long as I wasn't wearing Avia and Turntec and stuff like that.

Once I got a job, and had a decent cash flow - I bought shoes like no other. I fell in love with Air Maxes, and collected and collected until I realized Icould have just bought myself a nice Rolex with all the money I wasted. Now I have 100 pairs of shoes that I'll never wear out in my life time, and Irotate between 574s and Superstars every day. I rarely touch any of my Nikes anymore. I sold all of my good stuff, and am now stuck with the stuff that Ididn't really want or need, but didn't have the discretion or common sense to say no to. Bright red Pippins, Goretex Barkleys, random Terminators,random AM90s/Bursts, etc. etc.

I'll sell the occasional pair to help with a bill or two, but for now shoe collecting is a distant memory. I'm more into watches now.

Started buying freshman year of high school. Stopped somewhere between senior year and freshman year of college. Reason: no one really cares about your kicksin college and I started to realize I was wasting money.

geminifly wrote:
I don't completely understand the ideology of stopping sneaker collecting because your "grown".
There's several people in their 30's and 40's (JD, Fat Joe, Jay and a host of others) that still collect shoes

I think it's a matter of you being broke or your interests changing or as someone stated before, that your not happy
with what's being produced. But the idea that your a college freshman so you can't collect sneakers cuz your
getting your grown man on is a stretch. I don't play video games anymore but it's not because I'm "grown" (23 btw),
its because I don't have an interest in them. but Im not going to think that someone who is 25 years old and plays
If you look at the reasons they were into shoes in the first place.Then you'll see the reason they think that way.It seems as if alot ofpeople in this thread got into sneakers either to stunt while they were in hs or because they thought it was cool.I don't buy as many shoes as I used tobecause there is so many kids collecting sneakers now that when I do find a old pair of those shoes I loved as a kid.There like $400.Gone are the days when youcan search ebay and find those shoes your favorite sports star wore back in the day for a good price.I simply cant afford to spend that much.Glad to see Nikeretroing some of the shoes I've always loved.

Sure, being clean and fresh in HS was sick. I realized i was loosin on life by being a serious sneakerhead once I bought my first car. I went from 15 pairs ofkicks with ebay average worth of about $220 as a sophomore in HS, to a sophomore in college with 3 pairs of vans, 5 jordans, two dunks, and a pair of NBs.

I have and will always love shoes. Nothing will ever take that away from me. But i can't devote as much attention i once did. From around 01-06 i probablybought around 70-80 pairs of shoes. From 06-08 maybe 4
laugh.gif

For me it was a matter of putting together my perfect collection of sneakers. Once i did that i was satisfied. Plus add on the introduction ofrent/bills/tuition and yeah you have the sudden halt to make collection
smh.gif
smh.gif

Once i graduate from College and get a job that worth a damn, then maybe i can get back into it tough....That is until marriage and kids roll around
frown.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

first off, never considered it a "game" so that crap isn't in my vocab.

@+** releases, @+** tier quality, overdoing these "limited", QS releases and whatnot when they were all over the place, and looked like @+** at that.
Pretty much the same for me...

i got tired of staring at tons of boxes of shoes i had never worn. so i stopped. this was over three years ago thought. only shoes i buy now are dress shoes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by geminifly

I understand what you are saying. Me personally, I won't beast for a shoe like I used to. Its not I NEED THOSE JOINTS!!! if it happens ithappens. When I think collector I think of a person who cops shoes and saves them for whatever reason. I wear all my kicks so what is the use of having some DSheat I paid 2 or 300+ for when I could be making that money more useful to my personal benefit.
and JD,Fat Joe,and Jay are HORRIBLE examples.
I'm just saying.
ohwell.gif

got older - tastes changed - release got wack - "game" got stupid

i will never stop buying sneakers...but i will never revert back to buying multiple pairs of every jordan retro release, having calenders marked by sneakerrelease days, having 5-6 sneaker store employees numbers in my phone etc etc

1. I just got to a point where my priorities changed. At one point I had 70+ pairs, and it got to a point where many of them would just sit in my closet for ayear or more between wears. I got older, started law school, got engaged . . . priorities just shifted, you know?

2. I got tired of the garbage being released the last few years. After about 2003 or 2004, I think most companies (especially Nike) seemed to run out of goodcreative ideas and just started (a) releasing gimmicky crap, or (b) churned out poorly-made retros with little to no effort.

I've pared the collection down to about 20-25 pairs now, and am still trying to downsize to 15-20. I haven't bought a pair in probably like two years,though I still stop into a store every now and then and just check what's on the shelves.

1. JB went down the drain...
2. Bought pretty much everything I ever wanted
3. Had a bunch of DS kicks sitting in my closet collecting dust
4. Lost the love
5. Never browse ebay for Jays anymore at all/havent in almost 2 years now
6. Say JB falling off before it actually happened so I sold my whole collection and made nearly $20K 2 years ago...Thank god I did
before the economy got $!#!$% up cause I wouldnt have made anywhere near that.
pimp.gif

Just kind of stopped caring all of my fav retro's are in my closet a lot of the CDP's were terrible thank god the local spot broke em up or Iwouldn't of had one pair out of what 22?...but yeah I got enough pairs of shoes to never wear the same thing twice for @least 60days straight...I found outthat I have more fun with my money now that I don't cop Jays like I'll die if I don't...bout like 6pair this year and I've traveled and did allkind of spontaneous iish that when I was coppin jays 4times a month I would of just sat @ home with my friends and marvel @ my purchases...kinda silly now thatI think about it...I'll never sell anything so my son is straight FTW

eventually realized its just not worth it. shoes are shoes. you have a few different looking pairs and thats all your need. don't need to be spendinghundreds of $ on shoes that all basically look the same.

The hype of the sb after the heineken released killed it for me. I never had to struggle so much to get a pair of shoes. Resellers and new kids coming into thegame acting like they know it all. When tiffanys came out, i called it quits on trying to collect. I still like shoes, only buy what I like. I usually buy allthe retros I had when I was a kid. Mostly the basketball line. No more of the SB trend. All the old sneakerhead can agree, there used to be a very small groupof us. We didnt have to struggle to buy jordans, pennys or so on. It just kills it for us when we go out and kids talk to us like they been in it a long timeand know all about the kicks.

Back
Top Bottom