Question for MARRIED people here

superbness

Banned
Do you guys/gal share banking accounts? I mean link do you place all your money in a joint account with your husband/wife? I want to get married but thethought of putting our money in 1 joint account does not sit right with me for lots of reasons. Would if the other empty the account and leave you with nothingand run off....

What are your thoughts and how do you handle money issues?

I put my $$ together with my wife even before we were married.

it seems like you got some trust issues if you think your wife is gonna run away with your bread
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

it seems like you got some trust issues if you think your wife is gonna run away with your bread
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was going to say the same thing. If you can't trust the person to share a joint bank acct, then you CERTAINLY shouldn't even be thinking aboutmarrying them. However I don't recommend joining accts until you're married.

My wife and I made a joint savings/checking account through ING Direct, but for a while our paychecks were going into separate accounts, and it was a hugehassle to transfer money to and from accounts for paying bills, etc. When we were in the beginning stages of trying to secure a home loan, we consolidated allof our accounts into one checking account through WaMu (Chase), just because it was simpler.

My wife and I have disagreements at times when it comes to money. For the most part, I could care less how she spends money. She always consults me, and Irarely say no. However, my purchase decisions are often vetoed because she doesn't see the necessity in them. We've had big conflicts in the past whenI go against her decision, and have nearly come to the point of separating our finances. For the record, she makes about 20% more money than I do (notincluding her annual bonus).

Money can be a touchy subject for some. As long as you can both be responsible with your money, and trust each other with it, I can't foresee any issues.

If you're worried about your potential wife taking your loot and bouncing on you, for heaven's sake don't get married.

And personally, I think its only right to have a joint account when married. When my wife and I first got married we had separate accounts. It caused too manyproblems, so to be accountable to one another, we pooled our money into one checking account. I was hesitant at first, but everything has worked out fine.

do yall close the door when you go boo boo? Even worse, say you walk in the bathroom and your mate is on the toilet, say "oh I'm sorry honey,"and turn around and walk out or proceed to just go in and brush your hair in the mirror?

#1, If you're already legitimately worried about her running off with your money even before you're married, your gut may be right.

#2, I would HIGHLY recommend that you have a financial discussion in your premarital counciling since finances are the #2 cause of divorce in America.

#3, my wife and I are signers on all of our accounts. However, our exception is that we give each other an allowance every month to spend on whatever we wantwithout having to consult the other. IMO, this is the best thing financially that can happen to a marriage as it prevents one party or the other fromcontrolling what the other spends on personal items.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

#1, If you're already legitimately worried about her running off with your money even before you're married, your gut may be right.

#2, I would HIGHLY recommend that you have a financial discussion in your premarital counciling since finances are the #2 cause of divorce in America.

#3, my wife and I are signers on all of our accounts. However, our exception is that we give each other an allowance every month to spend on whatever we want without having to consult the other. IMO, this is the best thing financially that can happen to a marriage as it prevents one party or the other from controlling what the other spends on personal items.

The allowance is a great idea, it really is. Otherwise one person will usually nitpick all of your purchases.

my wife and i started out with seperate checking accts and we fought over money. now we have joint accts and we still fight over money.

#3, my wife and I are signers on all of our accounts. However, our exception is that we give each other an allowance every month to spend on whatever we want without having to consult the other. IMO, this is the best thing financially that can happen to a marriage as it prevents one party or the other from controlling what the other spends on personal items.
Good ideas.

Again, if you're finding it difficult to trust her with your money, that's a serious red-flag. My hopes are that the two of you can resolve that issueand make the marriage work. Good luck with it and be sure to make the right choice.

We have a joint for all household bills and our previous separate accounts for our individual bills.

Yeah, we have one joint account that everything goes into - and all the bills go out of.

We also each have an individual account that we put a little money in - it's just useful for buying birthday presents and stuff that won't show in themain account.

I totally agree that if you can't share a bank account then you have bigger issues and you need to look at them now - not in a few years time.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Good ideas.

Again, if you're finding it difficult to trust her with your money, that's a serious red-flag. My hopes are that the two of you can resolve that issue and make the marriage work. Good luck with it and be sure to make the right choice.
The only comment I would make on that is - it's not your money - you individual anyway, it'syours and her money - that is if you actually have a relationship. It's sometimes helpful to think of it that way.

I think people who have had their own careers find that harder to deal with - we were broke when we got married and both worked for a while but now my wiferaises our kids - I don't give her an allowance to buy stuff from the money I earn - we just buy the stuff weneed.

Originally Posted by itsmedallas

joint bank accounts. if you dont trust her then dont marry her

I never said I dont trust her. I was just giving reason as to why not...I dont like the fact of askin gmy wife when and how I can spend my own dang money..LOL

She pay her side of bills and I pay mines. I dont see a reason for a joint..Savings I can see that. We each can put some money away in savings each month..

Would if you made 100k a year and your wife only made 30k, would u still do joint.HAHAHA

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

do yall close the door when you go boo boo? Even worse, say you walk in the bathroom and your mate is on the toilet, say "oh I'm sorry honey," and turn around and walk out or proceed to just go in and brush your hair in the mirror?
pimp.gif
Actally I hate it when Im in the bathroom and she comesin.. She never wants to go into the bathroom until Im in there and 1 minute later shes bursting in for whatever reason.

I told her, I dont have much private space, the bathroom is really my only private space in the house. So let me be..LOL Wait until Im done doing whatever thencome in, only if the door is close. It got to the point I was locking the bathroom door cause she was coming in too much...

Originally Posted by superbness

Originally Posted by itsmedallas

joint bank accounts. if you dont trust her then dont marry her

I never said I dont trust her. I was just giving reason as to why not...[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]I dont like the fact of askin gmy wife when and how I can spend my own dang money[/color]..LOL

She pay her side of bills and I pay mines. I dont see a reason for a joint..Savings I can see that. We each can put some money away in savings each month..

Would if you made 100k a year and your wife only made 30k, would u still do joint.HAHAHA

its not "asking" is respecting your other. Ive always made more money than my wife and the account has always been joint. If we want to purchasesomething we consult eachoter. How would you feel if she made 100k and you made 30k?

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

We have a joint for all household bills and our previous separate accounts for our individual bills.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Now that seems right and ok with me. No reason to have joint account pulling inboth of your money. Thats how fights happen over money.. Your money is yours my money is mines just take care of house and put some in joint savings and wewill both be alright

Back
Top Bottom