Question for my Asian Niketalkers.

the nomad

Banned
My intentions aren't to offend anyone, I just have a culture sensitive question.
Do Asians that own or work at local Chinese spots eat the food there?

Reason I ask is because most Asians are physically fit but Chinese cuisine is really fatty. Is it something you guys eat every night or are there more traditional foods a little more healthy.

To be fair most blacks that own soul food spots actually eat the food every night which is why there are high cases of hypertension and diabetes.

When I go to my local spot I see the workers chowing down on the food all the time.

Me too which is why I asked, am I just happening to catch a rare instance of someone chowing down or is it every day?

My intentions aren't to offend anyone, I just have a culture sensitive question.

Reason I ask is because most Asians are physically fit but Chinese cuisine is really fatty. Is it something you guys eat every night or are there more traditional foods a little more healthy.

To be fair most blacks that own soul food spots actually eat the food every night which is why there are high cases of hypertension and diabetes.
not true at all. just cause they look somewhat average weight doesnt mean they dont have high cholesterol, high BP, diabetes, etc.

and the answer to the question is yes and no. some asians like to bring food from home, others like to cook stuff in the kitchen to eat from the restaurant. but you wont often see the older generation fry chicken wings and eat an egg roll since its pretty much americanized chinese food 
laugh.gif

what wut?

i think peopel who work at any type of foot joint will eat their food. lunch breaks usually last 30mins or breaks last 10 mins or so, people that don't bring their lunch will usually get something there so they don't travel.

plus they get it for free or dc.

I have always wanted traditional Chinese food. Apparently the farther west you go, the more oil and fat is used in the cooking.

Not Asian, but yes they do. I often walk into Chinese restaurants during their lunch hour and catch them eating authentic Chinese food that they made aside from the American Chinese food.

I never worked at a Chinese food place before, but a lot of genuine Chinese food are actually quite bland (at least from the northeast region where my parents are from). A lot of the vegetables are boiled, not much deep fried stuff. Back when I was a kid, my friend liked Chinese food from the restaurant, and he kept on bugging me to come over to my house to taste authentic Chinese food that we eat at home. One day he came over right after my mom made some food, he wanted some, and couldn't even finish it because it was too different from the restaurants haha. Never bugged me again.

I don't find Chinese cuisine really fatty/unhealthy, it's American Chinese food that is.

Different and more vegetables, healthier ingredients, less greasy, less salty.

Things like General Tso's chicken, chop suey, beef broccoli, orange chicken are all targeted toward American people.

traditional chinese food, stuff we eat at home is not whats served on plates in the usa, a lot stuff gets added to attract americans. Pf changs, is not chinese food

workers at the small corner restaurants get the cheapest meal, usually a bowl of rice and some chicken/beef and veggies

Last edited:
I doubt Chinese workers are eating Kung Pao/General Tso's/Beef and Broc EVERYDAY....

At the authentic Chinese restaurant I go to when the workers are on their lunch i see them eating food very different/more healthier

think about it like this: when you go to mcdonalds or burger king, the burgers and fries you get there are going to taste different than when youre cookin up burgers or fries at your crib. the stuff you make at home is definitely less processed and probably healthier, so you get a different taste. same goes for asian food, when you hit up panda express, they aint in the kitchen trying to create a culinary masterpiece, theyre just tryna cook it up quick and feed as many hungry people as possible

When I go to my local spot I see the workers chowing down on the food all the time.

Naw, I see them eating the exclusive non-greasy stuff they cook for themselves.

This... The reason why its not so greasy its because the cooks and servers are adults and they don't like to eat the greasy stuff for the concern of their own health. The 2nd reason why is because they eat a average portion. Normally when you order take out or from a menu, the meal proportion is fit for 2 people. They just eat half of that.

Every now and then I go to a local chinese place and ask for off menu stuff. Yall should try it. :lol:

Different and more vegetables, healthier ingredients, less greasy, less salty.

Things like General Tso's chicken, chop suey, beef broccoli, orange chicken are all targeted toward American people.

this

traditional chinese food, stuff we eat at home is not whats served on plates in the usa, a lot stuff gets added to attract americans. Pf changs, is not chinese food

workers at the small corner restaurants get the cheapest meal, usually a bowl of rice and some chicken/beef and veggies

and this

/thread

Last edited:
Non-Asians in Asian restaurants sometimes get different menus. 

I know for a fact the Chinese restaurants me and my family go to have separate menus. 

So to answer your question, yes people that work at the restaurant may eat at their work but chances are they aren't eating the same white-washed food yall be eating.

Back
Top Bottom