Question For Those That Rent

Well a few questions actually.

What percentage of your net salary/wages do you pay towards rent? Including utilities such as electricity, gas and water.

Also do you live alone, have roommates? Do you rent a studio, 1 bedroom...?

I'm looking to get a 1 bedroom on my own but will be paying just over 40% of my net salary on rent and utilities. Trying to gauge if that's too much. I know the general rule is to spend about 25-30% but I live in a big city with high rental costs and have found it almost impossible to find something nice in that range.

Thanks.

Like you said I think 25-30% is about normal. But in a big city how much are you looking at paying for rent if I may ask?

I know it should be 30%, but mine is 50% right now :smh: Paying 1600 for a studio in SF. There were rooms available for cheaper, but I hate living with strangers and not being able to do whatever I want in my own spot...There were also other spots available but were in Sunset (not bad, but too damn foggy), Tenderloin :smile:x), or the cuts of SOMA :smile:x). On the other hand I have no vehicular expenses (my car is at my parents' house in San Jose) since all the clubs, bars, restaurants, malls, etc are within a 10 minute walking distance :smokin

Can't wait to get my CPA so I can start affording to travel again though...

Last edited:
Places I've been looking at are about 1300.

And to the dude above, I know what you mean about having roommates. I had roommates in college and while it wasn't the worst, it really started to wear on me. People leaving things around, borrowing your items, having to share a washroom. I ain't really bout that.

Had a studio apartment before too but really want a separate living and sleeping space.

Places I've been looking at are about 1300.

And to the dude above, I know what you mean about having roommates. I had roommates in college and while it wasn't the worst, it really started to wear on me. People leaving things around, borrowing your items, having to share a washroom. I ain't really bout that.

Had a studio apartment before too but really want a separate living and sleeping space.

The listings for rooms all said "No drinking, no noise, no parties, no overnight guests" etc. Come on :smh: :lol: I feel you on wanting a separate living and sleeping space, but decent one bedroom spots start at 1900 around here :smh:. Wish my parents were still living in SF so I could just stay at their spot :lol:. Rent is too damn expensive here for mediocre to average apartments, and on top of that you need to pay for parking permits/garages...Basically why I left my car with my parents. Only use it when I'm driving out of town to visit friends in central Cali

Last edited:
I know it should be 30%, but mine is 50% right now :smh: Paying 1600 for a studio in SF. There were rooms available for cheaper, but I hate living with strangers and not being able to do whatever I want in my own spot...There were also other spots available but were in Sunset (not bad, but too damn foggy), Tenderloin :smile:x), or the cuts of SOMA :smile:x). On the other hand I have no vehicular expenses (my car is at my parents' house in San Jose) since all the clubs, bars, restaurants, malls, etc are within a 10 minute walking distance :smokin

I'm tryin to get out to the city too. I'm in the eastbay. Are you downtown and what's the average rent in a good place? Not the tenderloins or any other f'd up areas.

1600 for a studio??? even in SF you can get an APT for less

What part of the city you live in?

Last edited:
Nob Hill

Yea, like I said there were cheaper options but this area has the convenience for me. I hate driving in the city with a passion, and my job is a 10 minute walk away from where I live. I can't mentally deal with living out in Sunset and dealing with the Golden Gate traffic every morning. Reminds me of when I lived in San Jose and it used to take me 45 minutes to get to work, when without traffic it would take 8 minutes :x Can't do that @#$% anymore.

1600 is expensive? Good, modern looking spots were going for 2000+ when I was checking. 275 sq ft Studio in SOMA going for 1900 :x

Last edited:
1600 for a studio is pretty steep but I figure you got to pay a little extra to keep your sanity.

Back
Top Bottom