Question to Minorities in Corporate America

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

you have no co-workers within 20 years of you???

Closest is an Indian woman about 10 years older than me.
man that really blows. can i ask what sort of position you have? it's so weird that you're the only one your age....do they all have a different position in the company than you or are you really young for what you do or what?

man that really blows. can i ask what sort of position you have? it's so weird that you're the only one your age....do they all have a different position in the company than you or are you really young for what you do or what?

This has more to do with age than race....try to have small talk with them every now and then about marriage, kids and erectile dysfunction if you wanna bond.

This has more to do with age than race....try to have small talk with them every now and then about marriage, kids and erectile dysfunction if you wanna bond.

eh i dont have this problem. most of the people i work with are within my age and/or black

eh i dont have this problem. most of the people i work with are within my age and/or black

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

roll.gif

yeah i agree about age being the main factor but there does seem to be that awkwardness between (some) older white people born pre-civil rights movement and young black males.....like theres a huge cultural gap there

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

roll.gif

yeah i agree about age being the main factor but there does seem to be that awkwardness between (some) older white people born pre-civil rights movement and young black males.....like theres a huge cultural gap there

some good advice and bad advice in here. having been in corporate america for almost 10 years, i am definitely no expert, but have also experienced enough to have an idea of how to assimilate while still maintaining your identity.

in any organization, its important to firstly do your job very well. it is true, people can b/s and still move up ... but as a minority, please don't leave that to chance. do your work very well, and if nothing you learn your skill the best way possible to take elsewhere. after you master your skill, ramp down and spend only about 40% of your time working. the other 60% should be focused on networking ... and networking with the right people.

every organization has the movers and shakers. its sad to say, but to move up, you have to be "liked" by these people. they have to be comfortable with you and feel like they know you. they dont have to necessarily know you - but you have to let them feel like they know you well and are comfortable with you. for those that dont matter in your career advancement, be cordial with them, do the hi-hello and pop culture or sports discussion b/s. for those who really matter, dont be afraid to reach out and try learn more about them. don't hesitate to try get on their calendar ... some will reject you ... but keep trying and someone will put you under their wing. after that, if/when he/she becomes comfortable with you, they will pull you into their circle(s) and you are set.

i know some say keep your head down and just make your bread. i disagree, because you will find yourself being let go or passed on a promotion even though you have the best numbers - yet mr-white-boy-cool who does no work keeps getting moved up ... and the fact is - the higher you go, the more you make. so yes - it is important to "play the game" in order to move up in order to make more money.

or you can always work for yourself - but even then, you need to interface with different ages, races and backgrounds to get business done.

good luck meng.

some good advice and bad advice in here. having been in corporate america for almost 10 years, i am definitely no expert, but have also experienced enough to have an idea of how to assimilate while still maintaining your identity.

in any organization, its important to firstly do your job very well. it is true, people can b/s and still move up ... but as a minority, please don't leave that to chance. do your work very well, and if nothing you learn your skill the best way possible to take elsewhere. after you master your skill, ramp down and spend only about 40% of your time working. the other 60% should be focused on networking ... and networking with the right people.

every organization has the movers and shakers. its sad to say, but to move up, you have to be "liked" by these people. they have to be comfortable with you and feel like they know you. they dont have to necessarily know you - but you have to let them feel like they know you well and are comfortable with you. for those that dont matter in your career advancement, be cordial with them, do the hi-hello and pop culture or sports discussion b/s. for those who really matter, dont be afraid to reach out and try learn more about them. don't hesitate to try get on their calendar ... some will reject you ... but keep trying and someone will put you under their wing. after that, if/when he/she becomes comfortable with you, they will pull you into their circle(s) and you are set.

i know some say keep your head down and just make your bread. i disagree, because you will find yourself being let go or passed on a promotion even though you have the best numbers - yet mr-white-boy-cool who does no work keeps getting moved up ... and the fact is - the higher you go, the more you make. so yes - it is important to "play the game" in order to move up in order to make more money.

or you can always work for yourself - but even then, you need to interface with different ages, races and backgrounds to get business done.

good luck meng.

I work in the Treasury area of my bank. The firm has history of people staying there for 20+ years and didn't actively recruit kids out of college that's why most of the people there are older.
Niidawg3, that sounds like great advice, thanks man.

I work in the Treasury area of my bank. The firm has history of people staying there for 20+ years and didn't actively recruit kids out of college that's why most of the people there are older.
Niidawg3, that sounds like great advice, thanks man.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

good luck meng.

My man Nii speaks the truth. I work at a bank and office politics plays a big part in your success at most companies. You can keep it real and be the unique snowflake you are but you may just get looked over for that promotion. A lot of times you just have to play the game.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

good luck meng.

My man Nii speaks the truth. I work at a bank and office politics plays a big part in your success at most companies. You can keep it real and be the unique snowflake you are but you may just get looked over for that promotion. A lot of times you just have to play the game.

Has to be a really small bank. A Treasury recruiting class of 1 and no one within 10 years of age? How can that be considered major? There is no way any major bank has turnover that low. 

Has to be a really small bank. A Treasury recruiting class of 1 and no one within 10 years of age? How can that be considered major? There is no way any major bank has turnover that low. 

Just wondering if any of you guys have dealt with the same issue. I'm 25, African-American, and work in a major bank. My issue is I can't relate at all to my co-workers. Most are white men 20-30 years my senior and aside from sports, we have nothing in common. The work environment has that whole boy's club/frat boy feel to it and I can't get down with it for the life of me. I like the work, but I feel somewhat alienated (nothing intentional) and don't want it to affect my future career opportunities. Any advice or has anyone had similar experience?
What division of this major bank do you work in where most of your co-workers are 20-30 years your senior?

Thats an age gap fail, even if you they were black....it wouldn't matter. They probably have sons your age.

I will tell you this though, finding friends outside of work will not advance your career within that firm. Fit is a big thing for promotions and really getting the job in the first place. Didn't the people who you work with interview you at some point?

Just wondering if any of you guys have dealt with the same issue. I'm 25, African-American, and work in a major bank. My issue is I can't relate at all to my co-workers. Most are white men 20-30 years my senior and aside from sports, we have nothing in common. The work environment has that whole boy's club/frat boy feel to it and I can't get down with it for the life of me. I like the work, but I feel somewhat alienated (nothing intentional) and don't want it to affect my future career opportunities. Any advice or has anyone had similar experience?
What division of this major bank do you work in where most of your co-workers are 20-30 years your senior?

Thats an age gap fail, even if you they were black....it wouldn't matter. They probably have sons your age.

I will tell you this though, finding friends outside of work will not advance your career within that firm. Fit is a big thing for promotions and really getting the job in the first place. Didn't the people who you work with interview you at some point?

I thought the title said Captain America. I'm liek....listen here. Ain't no n_s existed in some WWII era funny papers. foh

But yea, I could see where u at OP. pretend Boyz N THa Hood was your childhood and they'll adopt you right quick. Keep ya story straight before you Jayson Blair yaself.
jp ...
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom