question, why do black people think their culture is "the most emulated"

Originally Posted by 2SeatPort

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

All American music ever made is a direct product of Black culture.

its not that serious
alien.gif

There is a difference between influence and emulation.

I do agree with the notion that blacks have had an influence on our culture that is disproportionately large to the size of their demographic, and I think it is at least partly as a result of their universally similar history (i.e. they were nearly all brought over as slaves and have thus gone through similar experiences through time, leading to their more homogenized culture compared to whites, who more socioeconomically diverse).

I see "emulation" more as something thats binary (you're either emulating something or not) that doesn't really adhere to the historical context of the term "influence" (i.e. there can be different levels of influence), so saying stuff like "black people invented rock/blues/hip hop" as an argument in the "emulation" discussion is missing the point entirely because obviously rock/blues/hip hop is a concadination of various influences, not just black.  Example:  The single most prevalent instrument in american music is the guitar, who's earliest recoginizable form is from renaissance europe.

But if you're arguing that black people today tend to set many popular trends, I would agree. Kids think certain "black" things are cool because that is what is fed to them by mtv etc, and we see black people on the TV WAY more frequently than the 10%-15% of the population they actually make up.

Why's this so? I feel like because blacks were oppressed for so long their communities and thus culture were based on things they had access to at the time, such as music, dance, and art... things that translate easier over into our modern pop culture. I do not think that music, dance and art held nearly the same significance in the white community as in the black community.
Way to go AROUND HIS STATEMENT. I find it funny that alot of guys try to act like pseudo sociologist when it comes to anything remotely dealing with Black culture
laugh.gif
. I swear most of NT has nothing better to do than make threads about Blacks/African Americans. Theres a new thread dealing with why blacks do this/that (Why do blacks put their left shoe on first?) everyday on NT. Some of y'all just need to admit that your Black step father is slaying your mother in the bedroom next to yours every night....at least that will give me some insight as to why you guys have this love to hate us....
PS: Black folks not thinking about y'all.... 

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

You serious OP? Everyone wanna be a .... but dont wanna be a .... I see an Asian dude at the outlets looking like hes wearing 2000 edition of Blackface du-rag and all. NTers please tell me why an Asian male needs a du-rag on?
roll.gif
 im filipino i admit i wore a durag when i was in middle school and yes i thought i was doin it
roll.gif
please dont ever admit this in public

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

You serious OP? Everyone wanna be a .... but dont wanna be a .... I see an Asian dude at the outlets looking like hes wearing 2000 edition of Blackface du-rag and all. NTers please tell me why an Asian male needs a du-rag on?
roll.gif
 im filipino i admit i wore a durag when i was in middle school and yes i thought i was doin it
roll.gif
please dont ever admit this in public

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Hop

its not that serious
alien.gif
I find it funny that alot of guys try to act like pseudo sociologist when it comes to anything remotely dealing with Black culture
laugh.gif
. I swear most of NT has nothing better to do than make threads about Blacks/African Americans. Theres a new thread dealing with why blacks do this/that (Why do blacks put their left shoe on first?) everyday on NT. 
...which is why I usually know better and don't post in these types of threads.  And if it's not pretending to be an expert on the subject it's posting disagreements with no argument behind them.  But it's alright, if dudes would rather just post rolling smiley faces than actually discuss the topic, it's no skin off our nose.  
I've learned my lesson about entering these threads.

Originally Posted by Hop

its not that serious
alien.gif
I find it funny that alot of guys try to act like pseudo sociologist when it comes to anything remotely dealing with Black culture
laugh.gif
. I swear most of NT has nothing better to do than make threads about Blacks/African Americans. Theres a new thread dealing with why blacks do this/that (Why do blacks put their left shoe on first?) everyday on NT. 
...which is why I usually know better and don't post in these types of threads.  And if it's not pretending to be an expert on the subject it's posting disagreements with no argument behind them.  But it's alright, if dudes would rather just post rolling smiley faces than actually discuss the topic, it's no skin off our nose.  
I've learned my lesson about entering these threads.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i'd say its more hip hop thats being copied...of course black americans dominate the hp hop you see in the media...

pretty much what i came in here to say.  blacks dominate a large portion of media (music and a number of sports).

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i'd say its more hip hop thats being copied...of course black americans dominate the hp hop you see in the media...

pretty much what i came in here to say.  blacks dominate a large portion of media (music and a number of sports).

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

white americans don't have a culture to emulate.

lol....so sagging jeans and du rags is black culture.

There are aspects of black culture I can't live without (Eg. afro-music from all cultures, including jazz, blues, etc) and sports
grin.gif

But the black culture that is emulated in this country is a frigging joke and a minstrelsy. Yea i said it.
laugh.gif

Unfortunately, I wasn't always immune....I'm still not in some ways.
ohwell.gif

And I don't think there;s a such thing as "white culture", like black people white people have their own individual cultures....depending on whether they know their exact heritage. One of my best friends is Irish and every now and then he does mad stereotypical Irish $$#
laugh.gif
...same goes for Italians, Germans, Brits etc.

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

white americans don't have a culture to emulate.

lol....so sagging jeans and du rags is black culture.

There are aspects of black culture I can't live without (Eg. afro-music from all cultures, including jazz, blues, etc) and sports
grin.gif

But the black culture that is emulated in this country is a frigging joke and a minstrelsy. Yea i said it.
laugh.gif

Unfortunately, I wasn't always immune....I'm still not in some ways.
ohwell.gif

And I don't think there;s a such thing as "white culture", like black people white people have their own individual cultures....depending on whether they know their exact heritage. One of my best friends is Irish and every now and then he does mad stereotypical Irish $$#
laugh.gif
...same goes for Italians, Germans, Brits etc.

Simple music history. A good chunk of black American culture reflects the music we love. That's my personal opinion though.
Even before Hip hop, black music (and the culture with it) was copied, a lot of times exact copies down to every note. Back in the day white people only heard black musicians when they were copied by white ones. So its not just one generation that feels that way.

Simple music history. A good chunk of black American culture reflects the music we love. That's my personal opinion though.
Even before Hip hop, black music (and the culture with it) was copied, a lot of times exact copies down to every note. Back in the day white people only heard black musicians when they were copied by white ones. So its not just one generation that feels that way.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom