Questions for ATHEISTS vol. keep it funky

Status
Not open for further replies.
You folks raped and pillaged my "How to get to Heaven" thread and I felt it was a cry for help/attention.

But seriously tho, I was an Atheist as a teen solely because I rejected the "wild" stories depicted in the Bible. Didnt see how reincarnation made sense with a growing populations and every belief system I researched, I couldnt accept fully or sounded like b.s. I loved science from an early age and I stayed in that realm of reality, tangeability, and explaination. Ive been a Christian for 6yrs, now but I wanted to know a couple things:

How did you end up atheist?
Will pass along this belief to your kids?
Do you have an authority?
Do you fear death? What are your fears?
What do you believe happens after you die?
Do believe in life beyond earth?
Do you believe in any forces in action beyond human control?

Im not gonna discuss my beliefs, Im not trying to convert nobody (doors always open tho), nor am I looking to be converted. I know atheists believe in different things, I just wanted to hear concepts, ideas, or just gain some insight on how you see the world/life/existance.

1.) I've always chosen science to the idea of a God. Ever since I could remember. Science is an algorithm, and religion is a heuristic to me. It's quick to do, and easy to believe its correct, but has a chance of failure. While science can work, and be proven back and forth.
2.) if I choose to have a child, no I won't force atheism upon him/her. I would much rather see my child excel with what they can hang on to best, even if it conflicts with my ideas.
3.) I don't believe I am above anybody, nor am I below them.
4.) I've gotten over the fear of death, it happens anyway why fear it? I think of it like a rollercoaster, you're always afraid of it looking at it, but when you get to it it's better than what you thought of in your head. I fear failure, it's probably my #1. I can deal with everything else, but becoming a failure always hangs a shadow over me.
5.) after I die, I believe I am simply a corpse. Nothing more nothing less.
6.) it's possible, but at the same time it's unlikely. It's something we don't have the technology to prove yet so I could never make an accurate assumption about it.
7.) No.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjs
You folks raped and pillaged my "How to get to Heaven" thread and I felt it was a cry for help/attention.

But seriously tho, I was an Atheist as a teen solely because I rejected the "wild" stories depicted in the Bible. Didnt see how reincarnation made sense with a growing populations and every belief system I researched, I couldnt accept fully or sounded like b.s. I loved science from an early age and I stayed in that realm of reality, tangeability, and explaination. Ive been a Christian for 6yrs, now but I wanted to know a couple things:

Im not gonna discuss my beliefs, Im not trying to convert nobody (doors always open tho), nor am I looking to be converted. I know atheists believe in different things, I just wanted to hear concepts, ideas, or just gain some insight on how you see the world/life/existance.
1. I could never subscribe to any particular religion and saw no compelling evidence of a higher power.  If there is a higher power, I believe it to be indifferent to mankind. 

2. Not necessarily.  I'll let my children know where I stand (that is, if I choose to have them) but I'll let them make up their own mind.  Odds are they would follow suit considering that 80% of children end up having the same religious beliefs as their parents.

3. My authorities are the other 7 billion people on the planet that are no better or worse than myself.  I wouldn't want them wronging me, so it would only be right to make a conscious effort to avoid wronging them.

4. Somewhat.  I certainly want to live a long, successful life but I don't dwell on it.  I have lots of fears: failure, rejection, heights,  clowns, germs, etc.

5. I don't know.  I'm not gonna pretend like I have a legitimate answer to that question.

6. I believe it's plausible.  There's an insane amount of galaxies in the universe. I'm certainly not confident of it though.

7. I believe we have a lot less free will that we give ourselves credit for.

1. Not sure how I ended up with my current mindset. Just through thought honestly. There wasn't a specific moment that flipped the switch on.

2. Authority? I believe something rules the world. Now if that something is a Ghoulish white man with a beard is something I can't subscribe to. I believe something controls all of this though. I just don't know what nor do I feel it is important to attempt to find what it is since we will never know.

3. Will I pass this to my kids? I will pass independent thinking to my kids.

4. Do I fear death? I don't want to die. I enjoy this physical world. I don't have a clue as to what will happen when I close my eyes for the final time so I worry only because I have no idea what it is.

5. No idea what happens honestly. I don't believe in any particular theory. I don't know man. Seriously. No idea.

6. Life beyond earth? I believe there is life beyond earth. I think it is humanly arrogant to think there is only life here on earth. ANd if there is a "God" how do I know that THEY aren't his chosen people. Why are we assuming we are his chosen ones? WE are made in HIS image? Funny. Arrogant.

7. Forces beyond human control? Not sure where I stand on this. Me and my man were just talking about this. Not sure man. Are you asking if we believe in luck, miracles, coincidence? (All the same damn thing).

I am not atheist, but I am agnostic. I am this way because I believe in science and evolution, but I also believe in some kind of higher power. I see no evidence for what is present in the bible either.

Have you formulated any attributes to this Higher Power?
Like a christian would say "God is good/ just/ perfect. He acts like this, wants us to behave like that"
Any beliefs or ideas on how this power operates, if at all?

I just never got down with the belief of a "superman" of sort helping the world when the planet physically atleast is in the crap state its in

I won't scream the disbelief of God to them and I won't hinder their search for a spirituality calling if they want. I would encourage it if they want that.
Define "authority"

Honestly whats on the other side scares me a bit and God does exist I believe if I live RIGHT I will be fine

No Idea

I don't but would like to hope so

I believe in Karma.

Have you formulated any attributes to this Higher Power?
Like a christian would say "God is good/ just/ perfect. He acts like this, wants us to behave like that"
Any beliefs or ideas on how this power operates, if at all?
At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if this higher power is none other than the damn Sun.

1.) I've always chosen science to the idea of a God. Ever since I could remember. Science is an algorithm, and religion is a heuristic to me. It's quick to do, and easy to believe its correct, but has a chance of failure. While science can work, and be proven back and forth.
2.) if I choose to have a child, no I won't force atheism upon him/her. I would much rather see my child excel with what they can hang on to best, even if it conflicts with my ideas.
3.) I don't believe I am above anybody, nor am I below them.
4.) I've gotten over the fear of death, it happens anyway why fear it? I think of it like a rollercoaster, you're always afraid of it looking at it, but when you get to it it's better than what you thought of in your head. I fear failure, it's probably my #1. I can deal with everything else, but becoming a failure always hangs a shadow over me.
5.) after I die, I believe I am simply a corpse. Nothing more nothing less.
6.) it's possible, but at the same time it's unlikely. It's something we don't have the technology to prove yet so I could never make an accurate assumption about it.
7.) No.

Thanks for answering. Wit the failure thing, I always look at it as I can only be a failure when I'm dead . Because when I'm alive I can try, try, try again. Quit , hate it and maybe try again later someday. Thing can always turn around if you have life. Only if I tried, failed, and died I would be a failure, because that was the position I was in when my trials ended. And then at that point does it even matter?

1. I could never subscribe to any particular religion and saw no compelling evidence of a higher power.  If there is a higher power, I believe it to be indifferent to mankind. 
2. Not necessarily.  I'll let my children know where I stand (that is, if I choose to have them) but I'll let them make up their own mind.  Odds are they would follow suit considering that 80% of children end up having the same religious beliefs as their parents.
3. My authorities are the other 7 billion people on the planet that are no better or worse than myself.  I wouldn't want them wronging me, so it would only be right to make a conscious effort to avoid wronging them.
4. Somewhat.  I certainly want to live a long, successful life but I don't dwell on it.  I have lots of fears: failure, rejection, heights,  clowns, germs, etc.
5. I don't know.  I'm not gonna pretend like I have a legitimate answer to that question.
6. I believe it's plausible.  There's an insane amount of galaxies in the universe. I'm certainly not confident of it though.
7. I believe we have a lot less free will that we give ourselves credit for.

Cool. Why do we have less free will? Or what make you feel that way?

After being indoctrinated to believe in Islam for years, I finally began doing my own research and found numerous ******** contradictions in not only Islam, but other faiths as well. That's not to say I don't respect anyones' choice to believe in a deity.

Again, I hate indoctrination. If they choose to believe in something "higher", I have no problem with it. If they had any questions about faith, I'd be sure to answer them as un-bias as possible

If by authority you mean deity, then no.

A bit. I don't anticipate my death, being so young. I'm afraid of heights.

Nothing.

If you're talking about "aliens", then I'm not ruling out their existence. We live in an immense universe, so other life-forms are possible.

Nature.

Thanks for answering. Wit the failure thing, I always look at it as I can only be a failure when I'm dead . Because when I'm alive I can try, try, try again. Quit , hate it and maybe try again later someday. Thing can always turn around if you have life. Only if I tried, failed, and died I would be a failure, because that was the position I was in when my trials ended. And then at that point does it even matter?

Understood, but in today's day and age it's difficult to simply try again. A job for example. I could get fired from a job for sleeping or whatever people get fired for, and when I go to apply somewhere they call my previous employer and they don't hire me. Which could happen in a lot of places, thus making trying for it pointless.

The fear of failure however has a positive influence on my life. It helps me think more before I act, so I don't ruin my chances in the future.

Cool. Why do we have less free will? Or what make you feel that way?
We're shaped by our environment and our upbringing and these factors influence the way we behave and the way we perceive the world around us.  I feel that an individual is not really the true source of their own thoughts and actions because so many other forces have acted upon that individual to make them act and think the way they do.  Sam Harris wrote a good book on the subject.  

Thanks for hosting a civil discussion about atheism.  It's a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
1. Not sure how I ended up with my current mindset. Just through thought honestly. There wasn't a specific moment that flipped the switch on.

2. Authority? I believe something rules the world. Now if that something is a Ghoulish white man with a beard is something I can't subscribe to. I believe something controls all of this though. I just don't know what nor do I feel it is important to attempt to find what it is since we will never know.

3. Will I pass this to my kids? I will pass independent thinking to my kids.

4. Do I fear death? I don't want to die. I enjoy this physical world. I don't have a clue as to what will happen when I close my eyes for the final time so I worry only because I have no idea what it is.

5. No idea what happens honestly. I don't believe in any particular theory. I don't know man. Seriously. No idea.

6. Life beyond earth? I believe there is life beyond earth. I think it is humanly arrogant to think there is only life here on earth. ANd if there is a "God" how do I know that THEY aren't his chosen people. Why are we assuming we are his chosen ones? WE are made in HIS image? Funny. Arrogant.

7. Forces beyond human control? Not sure where I stand on this. Me and my man were just talking about this. Not sure man. Are you asking if we believe in luck, miracles, coincidence? (All the same damn thing).

would you say you're agnostic? For number 7., I don't even know what I was looking for there. Just sounded like a dope question and I felt people were gonna interperate it differently so I wanted to hear whatever people came up with.

i used to be atheist. then i identified as an agnostic. it wasnt that i didnt believe in god, its just christianity as a religion really put me off. cults using it as a tool just to have followers, people saying god hates **** and gay people are going to hell because in the bible it says that they will be put to death. but then doesnt it say to love your neighbor? people only take what they want out because it fits their beliefs. look at people who died 100s of years ago because they didnt believe what the church was forcing down their throats? if you dont believe the world is flat your dead. the earth is the center of the solar system your dead. thats a load of bs

what about catholic priests who molest boys? men of god doing that? and i guarantee catholics would make up excuses for them too. i didnt want to be apart of a religion like that. i mean i know every religion has its people who are brainwashed but to me this was it. while i was agnostic i was looking into other religions and i had found a big interest in islam. it has scientific facts that made me go :nerd:

I just never got down with the belief of a "superman" of sort helping the world when the planet physically atleast is in the crap state its in

I won't scream the disbelief of God to them and I won't hinder their search for a spirituality calling if they want. I would encourage it if they want that.
Define "authority"

Honestly whats on the other side scares me a bit and God does exist I believe if I live RIGHT I will be fine

No Idea

I don't but would like to hope so

I believe in Karma.

Authority, some thing/force that you are accountable to.
Why would you hope there's life beyond earth? 7 billy ppl not enough?

At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if this higher power is none other than the damn Sun.

The Sun thing dont make much sense. Science says its a star and all stars burn out.
I would think a higher power would be eternal.Plus the suns importance is equal to water. No life without both.

I don't know what I would be labeled as. The only reason I even consider there being a God like figure that is described in most Western Religions is because I was born in the West. I just can't believe in something that can't be proven to me. Well in this case it is hard for me to do that man. It really is.

Someone told me, "You might as well believe it to be safe."
Two probalems with that.
1. You don't think "God" knows I am bs-ing him by believing just to believe?
2. I can't MAKE myself believe in anything.

OP, I have to ask you;

Why do you believe in god? What made you switch from atheism to Christianity (if that's what you converted to)

After being indoctrinated to believe in Islam for years, I finally began doing my own research and found numerous ******** contradictions in not only Islam, but other faiths as well. That's not to say I don't respect anyones' choice to believe in a deity.

Again, I hate indoctrination. If they choose to believe in something "higher", I have no problem with it. If they had any questions about faith, I'd be sure to answer them as un-bias as possible

If by authority you mean deity, then no.

A bit. I don't anticipate my death, being so young. I'm afraid of heights.

Nothing.

If you're talking about "aliens", then I'm not ruling out their existence. We live in an immense universe, so other life-forms are possible.

Nature.

thanks. Authority meaning something, being, entity, or force that you are accountable to

The Sun thing dont make much sense. Science says its a star and all stars burn out.
I would think a higher power would be eternal.Plus the suns importance is equal to water. No life without both.
Watch the video before you make your mind up. It talks about the history of religion.

What is your belief system?

We're shaped by our environment and our upbringing and that these factors influence the way we behave and the way we perceive the world around us.  I feel that an individual is not really the true source of their own thoughts and actions because so many other forces have acted upon that individual to make them act and think the way they do.  Sam Harris wrote a good book on the subject.  

Thanks for hosting a civil discussion about atheism.  It's a breath of fresh air.

No doubt. I'm just all about being positive. Alot of Christians are the reason some ppl cant stand us.

I agree with your response tho. Because our environment affects us so much, every thing boils down to "accept" or "reject" and since its our environment, the % is higher for acceptance than rejection of whatever the case is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom