QUICK CAR HELP

NT is a network of knowledge usually so i figured i'd make a quick thread for some help.

Girlfriend (no pix) has a 2004 Jeep wrangler sahara. the check engine light doesn't work. it doesn't turn on. everything else works, and to replace the whole cluster at Jeep is 900.

She's in boston, but im in nyc and i got that junk yard at Shea Stadium. Problem is i could buy a replacement at a junkyard and have the light work on that but something else could not work as well, not to mention the miles would be different since its off another jeep.

The best solution i can think of is getting it rebuilt. Take it to an electronics spot and have them fix it, i just dont know any that deal with this type of car work. All i find in google is audio work.

Any ideas?

example pics for reference
jeep0254zg.jpg

$T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHFDqBQ4QzpNVG!~~60_35.JPG

essentially i need a spot that can repair the check engine LED. an electronic rebuild is how i got my Bose headunit to work like new for my acura legend.

Originally Posted by sreggie101  

NT is a network of knowledge usually so i figured i'd make a quick thread for some help.

Girlfriend (no pix) has a 2004 Jeep wrangler sahara. the check engine light doesn't work. it doesn't turn on. everything else works, and to replace the whole cluster at Jeep is 900.

She's in boston, but im in nyc and i got that junk yard at Shea Stadium. Problem is i could buy a replacement at a junkyard and have the light work on that but something else could not work as well, not to mention the miles would be different since its off another jeep.

The best solution i can think of is getting it rebuilt. Take it to an electronics spot and have them fix it, i just dont know any that deal with this type of car work. All i find in google is audio work.

Any ideas?

jeep0254zg.jpg

%24T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHFDqBQ4QzpNVG!~~60_35.JPG

essentially i need a spot that can repair the check engine LED. an electronic rebuild is how i got my Bose headunit to work like new for my acura legend.
Stopped reading after that. Good day, sir.

Had a similar issue in my escape. Had one repair guy tell me I need to replace the whole cluster.

After a bunch of time on google, I finally found the fix. A $2 light bulb.

Hit up these people: http://www.vdorepair.com/ see if they can help you. Honestly, it is only a $2 dollar light bulb. If you have the time and can identify where the bulbs location is, you can easily take apart the cluster and swap out the bulb. You need to find out the bulb size first. Or if the vehicle is still under some sort of warranty, get the dealership to fix it. I had my instrument cluster replaced by BMW under their "Good will" program for free of charge. I gave them a sob story about how this could be a catastrophic accident waiting to happen if I cannot identify what the vehicles malfunctions are. Worth a shot and it worked.

Had a similar issue in my escape. Had one repair guy tell me I need to replace the whole cluster.

After a bunch of time on google, I finally found the fix. A $2 light bulb.

im gonna open it up myself this weekend when i go see her to be 100% sure. But from what she said its a soldered little LED bulb. to replace the whole thing seems ridiculous honestly for that one little LED. but generally its harder to repair something thats already fused into the PCD.

i hope that it is a bulb that i can easily replace lol

well legally i would think so...

Any ideas?

jeep0254zg.jpg

$T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHFDqBQ4QzpNVG!~~60_35.JPG

Stopped reading after that. Good day, sir.

i hate you

Last edited:
maybe try a stereo shop or find one of those shops that do custom work for cars since they are more knowledgeable then normal mechanics usually

maybe try a stereo shop or find one of those shops that do custom work for cars since they are more knowledgeable then normal mechanics usually
That sounds like your best bet. Chances are it's just a bulb no need to change the whole cluster. Another scenario could be whoever owned the car previously removed the check engine light to hide any underlying issues with the car.

Back
Top Bottom