quite tired of JB's Varsity red obsession on Og color retros

The first time it was apparent was with the AJ XI black/reds in 2001
when i noticed the outsoles were somewhat different. The Varsity red

outsoles were by far less vibrant than the True red outsoles on the OG's.

Then it was with the 2009 and 2010 AJ VI retros where they replaced

the vibrant deep infafred with the darker varsity red, only to make an

excuse to release the infared pack
frown.gif

Then the 2011 AJ XI low I.E. in black-red also had Varsity red instead

of the true-red of the OGs.

Now the possibly 2012 AJ IV are getting the Varsity red treatment 

replacing the vibrant Fire red.

I don't know who is responsible for this Varsity red obsession, but it is really annoying.

It's probably because the shade of red that the Bulls use in their uniforms is actually Varsity Red and Jordan Brand wanted to re-imagine the shoes as if Jordan actually had worn them in his Bulls days.

The manufacturing processes are alot different now and the same goes for the colours. You have to bear in mind that you're buying a retro/replica (or an 'original fake' if you look at JB quality these days but...). The colour, shape, materials will NEVER be the same. 

Retro or replicas are never as good as the original. I think the only retros that came close to looking like the original were the XII's, XIII's and XIV's. JB got all the others wrong, IV's and VII's are at the top of the list 
eyes.gif
. Just my opinion. But hey if JB can use cheap material to build something that gains your interest and its profitable for them, then their just going to keep on doing it.

Originally Posted by vood99

The manufacturing processes are alot different now and the same goes for the colours. You have to bear in mind that you're buying a retro/replica (or an 'original fake' if you look at JB quality these days but...). The colour, shape, materials will NEVER be the same. 

Dont think so. Rather that nike/jb is too lazyAnd wantscto save money by using always theSame paint/colortone.

Originally Posted by airdhazzal

Retro or replicas are never as good as the original. I think the only retros that came close to looking like the original were the XII's, XIII's and XIV's. JB got all the others wrong, IV's and VII's are at the top of the list 
eyes.gif
. Just my opinion. But hey if JB can use cheap material to build something that gains your interest and its profitable for them, then their just going to keep on doing it.
JB does this on purpose so that the retro will be in some way different from OG or previous retro.

Again with this? It's simple, buy or not. How hard is it to follow that logic. That being said, it seems almost always nike doesn't duplicate colorways. I don't recall ever seeing the exact same colorway twice with two different editions of the same shoe. Idc, if the original color is true red, the retro will have a dumb name like sprite red or something. They'll always make it slightly different the next time around. I wonder why that is.

It's odd, when the OG's came out I was MAD they didn't match the Bulls uniforms.
Now that they do, I want my fire reds and infrareds back!!!!!
Is that ironic?

I never really knew the difference between Varsity Red, True Red and Sport Red.

They all seem the shade to me.

I guess it only makes a difference if you see the three of them in person.

Originally Posted by FutureDHughes

I never really knew the difference between Varsity Red, True Red and Sport Red.

They all seem the shade to me.

I guess it only makes a difference if you see the three of them in person.

It's only noticeable if you hold them side by side. Otherwise, red is red. In all honesty, aside from infrared, I can't really tell the difference. How many of you guys can even tell the difference between the CDP IXs which uses true red and the re-retros that uses varsity red? Anyway, true red is a really bright red, varsity red is a deeper red, and sport red is right in between.

i've never been able to notice the difference. but yes i can see where you are coming from and it is annoying

i'm amazed that anyone can not tell the difference, they are very different. however, i am not bothered with tones of red. the darker varsities look more refined tbh. fluro colours died in the 90's like they should have.

the removal of durabuck, on the other hand.... grinds my gears. when i wear my black/varsity vi's, the colour doesn't bother me, but the material breaks my heart every time.

Back
Top Bottom