quitting smoking

i've been smoking for 6 months and i've picked today to stop. i've tried the gum before and it didn't work and i haven't really looked intothe patch yet. i'm doing this cold turkey and i'll probably fail.. but what should i expect? for you guys that have quit, how long did it take for yourlungs to readjust and not have the constant feeling of shortness of breath?

I've been smoking for like six years and I think it's impossible for me to quit.
smh.gif
I've tried everything. It's easy to stop when times aregood, but as soon as I get stressed I'm lighting one up.

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

i've been smoking for 6 months and i've picked today to stop. i've tried the gum before and it didn't work and i haven't really looked into the patch yet. i'm doing this cold turkey and i'll probably fail.. but what should i expect? for you guys that have quit, how long did it take for your lungs to readjust and not have the constant feeling of shortness of breath?

Not with that attitude. You're not going to quit smoking unless you really want to.

One thing you need to do is to inform your family/friends that you want to quit smoking so when you're feeling the urge to smoke, they'll be there tohelp keep you from smoking.

I've been smoke free for 8 weeks and a big part is mental...if you believe you can quit its possible...not being around people that smoke is also a hugestep to stopping...this way there will be less temptation. find activities to replace smoking, when your outside, carry something to play with (key rings etc)so you still have something in your hands...depending on how long you smoked for will determine how long it will take for your longs to recover...i was asmoker for almost 5 years and im not even close to being the same yet...i wish you luck though homie...jus try and stay positive and believe that you canactually quit...

thanks for the advice. yeah, i haven't been smoking for that long but it hit me a couple days ago that i'm effed up because for the first time eversince my asthma attacks as a little kid i felt winded over nothing. yuck.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

One thing you need to do is to inform your family/friends that you want to quit smoking so when you're feeling the urge to smoke, they'll be there to help keep you from smoking.
I know that would probably help, but it sucks because my family doesn't even know I smoke, and like half my friends think I already quit.
frown.gif

I'm gonna try to quit when this quarter starts, and hopefully I can be smoke-free by midterms. Midterms and finals are the hardest times for me not tosmoke.

i don't want to come off an *******, but it was fairly easy for me. smoked longer than you have, did the cold turkey, and i'm fine. 3 days dude, getthrough the first 3 days, and it get's easier imo. it helps to not chill with people that smoke. i think it was easy for me because i changed theenvironment and my usual activities i was in. get your mind off it, do something positive, run a mile so you can see the damage your lungs took to put thingsin perspective. i also calculated the money i spent on cigarettes
smh.gif
. good luck.

Everyone I've ever known to have quit smoking did it cold turkey. It's the only way to go. You just have to put your mind to it.

i was a smoker for 5 years, ranging from a half pack to a pack a day on average. after finally realizing as stress-reducing as it felt, i didnt feel like iused to, basketball, gym, heck, going up a couple of flights of stairs and id be huffing and puffing. ive stopped here and there before, basically to prove tomyself that i could, but i went back every time. new years day i woke up with a hangover and a heavy chest (after smoking way more than usual the nightbefore), and decided i was done. i havent taken a pull in almost three months. i havent thought twice about it and havent had the urge either, surprisingly.

i know it may seem hard, but once you convince yourself you can and want to, it becomes easier. i havent tried gum or patches, but it cant hurt, as long as youdont use them and wind up smoking at the same time. stay positive too, the average "cigarette craving" lasts around 5 minutes i believe, so if youhave the urge, try to keep yourself busy or something until i passes. i threw my cigarettes out and havent bought a pack (i used to buy by the carton, and innyc its $7+ a pack). remember, if you dont have them, you cant smoke them. good luck

Originally Posted by NinongBrown

i don't want to come off an *******, but it was fairly easy for me. smoked longer than you have, did the cold turkey, and i'm fine. 3 days dude, get through the first 3 days, and it get's easier imo. it helps to not chill with people that smoke. i think it was easy for me because i changed the environment and my usual activities i was in. get your mind off it, do something positive, run a mile so you can see the damage your lungs took to put things in perspective. i also calculated the money i spent on cigarettes
smh.gif
. good luck.

i've been trying to ignore that aspect of it.. but i'm sure that's taken a big chunk of money out of my bank account. how long you been smokefree bro?

This was gonna be my last pack, but they had my stuff BOGO.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
I think it's especially hard for my to quit because I don't really remember how itwas before I started smoking. I started at like 13, so it's been pretty much my entire adolescent/ adult life. I think I need to think of all the times IALWAYS smoke (morning, post-meals, driving) and cut them out one by one.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

This was gonna be my last pack, but they had my stuff BOGO.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
I think it's especially hard for my to quit because I don't really remember how it was before I started smoking. I started at like 13, so it's been pretty much my entire adolescent/ adult life. I think I need to think of all the times I ALWAYS smoke (morning, post-meals, driving) and cut them out one by one.

How the hell did you smoke from 13 years old and your family never found out? Wish I never got caught. Good luck man!

I wanna quit...but I don't...because it's my only stress reliever right now. And it feels good as hell to have a butt after a spliff or while drinking.One day though! I'll quit too.

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

damn, they actually BOGO cigarettes? WOW. what brand?

Camels and Marlboro's are BOGO every once in a while here (Cali).

And enlightenedespot, I got caught when I was like 14 or 15 by my mom, but I played it off like I was just trying it for the first time. Was very carefulnot to get caught ever again. RIGHT before baseball practice, too.
smh.gif

funny thing happend to me yesterday.

me and couple of my friends were smoking late last night. 2 of em smokin black n milds then me and my other friend smokin marlboro menthols. we start talkinbout how long we havent smoked and by coincedence, we all havent smoked since before lent started (about 40 days). then i bring up this new brand of cigarettsthat are non-addictive, 100% pure tabbacco, no chemicals. and for some reason, that made me put down my stoge.

i guess the thought of all those nasty chemicals and the results of them finally hit me. not only that but all those truth commercials finally hit me. i mean iused to think that those commercials were pointless and irritating, but they actually did something to me.

also, i think avoiding smoking for the whole lent made me get used to it. there some scientific experiment saying that if you do something for 30 days that youeventually get used to it and it becomes a habit.

so, all in all, i say actually think about what chemicals are in those cigaretts and how nasty and unhealthy they are. and do it for 30 days and it'llprobably be easier to quit smoking.

I smoked for 2 and a half years and just recently quit. I just keep repeating to myself that I'm not a smoker. The gum and patch don't work. I chewsome Skittles or something if I feel the urge. The first few days cold turkey are rough.

You have only been smoking for 6 months and you cant quit. You have to be kidding me. I smoked Newports for about 6 years and I quit. I have only smoked 3 cigsthis whole year and all were when I was hammered. My quiting plan started back in October or so. I started dipping and that really helped get the cigs off mymind. Then I quit dipping and now I am smoke free and dip free. It really helps if you dont hang out places where alot of people smoke for the first few weeksof trying to quit. Its all about mental strength and telling yourself no. Quit now or you will be regretting it later. I feel so much better physically andmentally that I have quit.

Originally Posted by JD Turk

I've been smoke free for 8 weeks and a big part is mental...if you believe you can quit its possible...not being around people that smoke is also a huge step to stopping...this way there will be less temptation. find activities to replace smoking, when your outside, carry something to play with (key rings etc) so you still have something in your hands...depending on how long you smoked for will determine how long it will take for your longs to recover...i was a smoker for almost 5 years and im not even close to being the same yet...i wish you luck though homie...jus try and stay positive and believe that you can actually quit...

good advice. To the OP

BEST OF LUCK

When it may seem impossible to quit, and you hear alot of people saying they can't blah blah blah just remember there are MILLIONS who have quit. Youcan quit if you really want to.. good luck

laugh.gif
at 6 months and 8 weeks and already addicted.

I smoked for over 15 years and quit last year cold turkey. havent picked up a cig or a blunt in over a year and 3 months. im glad too, my clothes dont stink,my hair doesnt stink, my breathe doesnt stink and i feel 100% better. IMO, the first few days are the hardest. If you can get through those, you can make ita week, a month, and possibly a year or longer. For some people, it will take multiple attempts to quit. This was my third attempt and it has been mylongest. Before this time, the longest i was able to go was a month. For some reason now, i have the will power not to smoke. Dont get me wrong, i stillhave the occasional craving, but then i think back to all that time that i havent smoked and that prevents me from following through with my craving.

good luck on quitting.
Stay positive and workout.

Originally Posted by RatherUniqueB

I wanna quit...but I don't...because it's my only stress reliever right now. And it feels good as hell to have a butt after a spliff or while drinking. One day though! I'll quit too.

If you keep on putting it off till a later date... eventually that day will never come. Better get your act together soon. The sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom