R.I.P Kobe Bryant.

Younger fans need to understand that GOAT =/= my favorite player.

I grew up with Kobe. I'll never cared more about another NBA player than Kobe. And yet, he's not the GOAT or even easily top 10 and that's fine. That's awesome, in fact.

There was not a single season where he was the consensus best player in the league. That fueled him to get better, every single season. It's one thing to be seven feet tall and good at basketball, it's another thing to be 6'6 and great at basketball. But to be 6'6 and good at basketball? You have to fight and compete and conspire to own that sport. For over two decades, Kobe did just that.

They think VC or AI are better? I'll make 1,000 jumpers in the offseason. T-mac is better? I'll extend my range further than his. Duncan owns the post? I'll further develop my left hand in the post. Steve Nash wins more than me, I'll get better teammates and win more. LeBron has better numbers and deserves the MVP, here's two numbers: 2009 and 2010 Finals MVP.

Eventually, Kobe's body simply couldn't answer these public challenges like he used to but he still worked like crazy. Even on his last legs, he scored 60. Utah took it easy on him, which is to say they didn't double team him. He gave them 60. A few years prior he shot two free throws on a ripped Achilles tendon.

Sadly, we'll never enjoy decades of the Mamba as an MC at NBA or Laker events but his ability to focus and battle through the the hubris of youth, the exhaustion and complacency associated with with being in one's natural prime, and his dogged determination to make his final years as dominant as possible, all make Kobe my favorite player. The lower you rank him all time, the more you make me love him even more.

Screenshot_20240324_175509_Facebook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom