R.I.P. My 1994 Cement IIIs

Originally Posted by green rhino123

^
well, seems you agree, yet even though the shape of the polyurethane plays a part (AJ4 mold may be the worst),
the most important thing is that the midsoles are made from different polyurethane foams

the old midsoles did flex more - like a sponge - absorbed, expanded & contracted
while one can compare the new closed cell urethane to a rock - letting very little in or out

this is also why paint chipping is more of a problem now, them trying to coat a thick amount
of paint on something that won't absorb any of it

the old kicks were constructed to be an enjoyable wear while the new ones are built to last long
(presumably on some collectors display shelf if you follow me)
(may have never happened this way if yall people would really just wear your stuff, really)
you hit it right on the head. in the 90s and 80s, Nike could have never guessed that people would be attempting to wear sneakers for 20 years.this is the reason they decided to go with polyeurathene: someone spongy  but not brittle. in combination with the bigger air bubbles and thick insoles, the older shoes were super comfortable. by 2005 Nike knew people collected their shoes so they started making the midsoles denser to last much longer.

my '05 Steel X's died last Wednesday

21b16kg.jpg

yikes
eek.gif
this is like witnessing a murder. grisly scene rip to the retro ogs. Im trying to preserve as much as possible my stuff however it seems even the lightest touch or grab to the 2001/before iii, iv or vi retros is super sensitive

I feel you op on your loss. My pair of white cements from '94 are in the same situation. I haven't brought myself to take them apart yet. I've had two pairs die on me this year, mocha iii's and white black fire red v's from '00. There's nothing worse than seeing the shoes crumble while you're wearing them. Good luck on the sole swap as I'm doing the same thing to my pairs time permitting.

My pair of OG Fire Reds did this back in 03. Made me want to cry. 
laugh.gif
I can agree, the 4's (whether retro or OG) will do the same. My 99 white cement IV's crumbled to pieces while I walked with them one day at work.
30t6p3b.gif

For any pair of III's or IV's, best enjoy them and let them get some sun and pavement.

Back from 2000 a pair of VIs (Black/Infared) did the same thing to me!!  Loved those shoes!

Yea, I'm extremely picky when buying OG's for this specific reason...not all hold up well...I have a pair of Timberland field boots that crumbled on me a few weeks back...had them since 2002...

yeah my 98 white cement 4s are not far off this - cracks all over. My columbia blue midnight navy ivs are in much better shape with the patent finish.

I'm just going to start to wear my older 3's now that I have seen multiple threads like this. Might as well get some use out of them because once they crumble, they are useless.

& Thanks for the info on the technology change, I never knew that. I guess we put it on ourself regarding quality then.

Here's word of advice from an OG head.. Wear all of your shoes and enjoy them.. Like in life nothing last forever..

Dont feel too bad for me you all...

between these, (the pair I put to rest is on the right), and a pair of 2011s, Ill be alright 
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom