Race Relations in the United States - Let's Dialogue and Educate

People are ignorant, whether they want to or they really are clueless.

Instead of ridiculing these individuals, let's all have a dialogue about this country's history and why things are they way they are in the United States.

Of course some fools will be foolish but hopefully some will learn something new.

Yes, slavery was abolished some time ago thanks to the 13th Amendment in 1865 (not the Emancipation Proclamation, which made slavery illegal in the rebel states, which were, ya know, in a state of rebellion...) But what about the 3/5ths Compromise, which stated that slaves counted for approximately 60% of person, strictly for the purpose of determining number of representatives in the House. Or Jim Crow Laws (which ended in 1965, while many of our parents were still alive!), which pretty much justified separate but (in)equal public facilities.

Not to keep things strictly about Black Americans, let's discuss Japanese Internment Camps, a time in which Japanese Americans were LEGALLY detained due to Japan's actions during the Civil War. This was 1944. The US Government formally apologized in 1988
laugh.gif

Let's talk about McCarthyism. COINTELPRO. American Imperialism. The Patriot Act.

Let's talk about it guys.

Let's build

im in for responses. My parents are straight from the islands so i dont have any stories that were past down to me but racism is very much still alive. In more ways than one

Every person of color, particularly Black, should read The Isis Papers.

I read it in college and it blew my mind. The book talks about race and the psychology behind racism.

Yea I think nobody really knows/cares about what goes on in other folks worlds. It is like we work together, but are awkwardly together, not know what to say and how to act. Black people acting "professionally" and white people acting "urban." Always funny to see.

I told you dudes that at my old job this girl and I were talking about a project we were doing and she had the nerve to say "WORD" to me. WORD? And she gave me the deuces sign. I was like does she really think this is 1990?

We all are ignorant.

But I wish non-blacks could live the life of a black person for a month and see how hard it is for us to be in this country that we will never truly be welcome in.
Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I read it in college and it blew my mind. The book talks about race and the psychology behind racism.

That will be next. I am currently reading - Two Nations : Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal [Paperback] - www.amazon.com/Two-Nations-Separate-Hostile-Unequal/dp/0743238249
Learning a lot here. I have a Larry Bird book to read after that and then I will read Isis Papers.

i believe McCarthyism is still alive today but instead of communist, its Muslims
30t6p3b.gif
(even its not as reckless as when McCarthy was doing it)

and if you didn't know in the case Korematsu v. U.S. (which dealt with the concentration camp), the supreme court basically said that during times of war, civil liberties are restricted
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I will certainly look for the Isis papers, I'm not familiar with that. It's interesting that fantastic pointed out that the U.S Government apologized for the Japanese internment camps in 1988, yet slavery is glossed over like "oh, that happened get over it". I don't think online message boards are a great forum for a topic like this. Which further points out that we are not in a post racial society. To be frank, I don't think we will ever be in this country. America was built on racism and until it's dealt with in a tangible way, we will remain in the state we are in now. It's sad, there are laws that say racism is illegal but it's so deeply rooted in our society it seeps into so many aspects. That's just my two cents. Please keep it civil people.

How can it be dealt with in a tangible way though?

Some things that bother me is when people try to make us out to be so angry and violent. They say we are naturally violent people. Natural criminals. No, we aren't. We are just usually poor as hell which in turn breeds us to turn to crime. It is simple mathematics but people tend to ignore that.

I just always wondered what goes through a white person's mind when they walk down the street and see us. Do you feel sorry for us? Do you feel lucky that you aren't one of us. Do you feel like clutching your purse or running.

Do you admit that this isn't a fair country? Do you honestly believe anyone that puts their mind to it can make it? I just don't think some white people understand that they always have something that we don't have and that is white skin. And I think some of you all don't understand that having that can be a huge perk in life. Not saying it will always get you out of any jam but just know that you have something that we can never have. No matter how much $ we have. How much "professionalism" (as you all call it), we have, this country will never really be for us.

I am done for now because I could go on for days.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yea I think nobody really knows/cares about what goes on in other folks worlds. It is like we work together, but are awkwardly together, not know what to say and how to act. Black people acting "professionally" and white people acting "urban." Always funny to see.

I told you dudes that at my old job this girl and I were talking about a project we were doing and she had the nerve to say "WORD" to me. WORD? And she gave me the deuces sign. I was like does she really think this is 1990?

We all are ignorant.

But I wish non-blacks could live the life of a black person for a month and see how hard it is for us to be in this country that we will never truly be welcome in.
Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

That will be next. I am currently reading - Two Nations : Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal [Paperback] - www.amazon.com/Two-Nations-Separate-Hostile-Unequal/dp/0743238249
Learning a lot here. I have a Larry Bird book to read after that and then I will read Isis Papers.
I deal with this everyday i work with a "young" crowd (i am the youngest at 22). Its a mixed crowd and i am in a lead position and the Spanish people say that i act "white" because I dont act "black". Sorry i dont smoke weed and come late to work but i dont want to be broke for the rest of my life.

yea im going to check out the isis papers, but this is a dead horse and the more i think about it the more i think the only way racism will go away is if absolutely every black person dates outside of their race, i dont mean hispanic, i mean asian or white with blacks

for a while i thought preservation was the key but then i immediately realized thats only fueling racial barriers, so in order to truly transcend racial lines i honestly think all black people have to procreate with asians or whites for several generations

BUT it wont start with me, i love black women too much

Originally Posted by slickp42189

yea im going to check out the isis papers, but this is a dead horse and the more i think about it the more i think the only way racism will go away is if absolutely every black person dates outside of their race, i dont mean hispanic, i mean asian or white with blacks

for a while i thought preservation was the key but then i immediately realized thats only fueling racial barriers, so in order to truly transcend racial lines i honestly think all black people have to procreate with asians or whites for several generations

BUT it wont start with me, i love black women too much
laugh.gif
 So everyone in the world can be tan huh?
But the rest of the world has bought into the "Black is Ugly" propoganda as well, so good luck with that pipe dream. 

It is sad that we feel that is the only option for all of this to end. So what happens to the kids? They aren't "pure" so they will get it too. Might not get it as much as American Blacks but they won't be of the majority.

Man this will never end. I want to wake up in 500 years to see how things will be.

#WillieLynch

Slicknick what you trying to say all blacks smoke weed and come late? Lol I doubt it but it looks like it in your post.

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

I deal with this everyday i work with a "young" crowd (i am the youngest at 22). Its a mixed crowd and i am in a lead position and the Spanish people say that i act "white" because I dont act "black". Sorry i dont smoke weed and come late to work but i dont want to be broke for the rest of my life.

This needs to stop around NT. All the time, theres always that one poster who refers to any spanish speaking person as spanish. Because we all come from Spain huh?!

Jimmies were seriously rustled 11/10, will rage again.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Slicknick what you trying to say all blacks smoke weed and come late? Lol I doubt it but it looks like it in your post.

no that is what they do and that is their reasoning for me acting "white". The only other black guy that works with us comes late everyday. 

The only way racism will ever die is by a massive shift in consciousness
Racism is so deep that it's ingrained in everyone's DNA, it's been passed down through generations to the point people don't even know why they are racist.
There would have to be some super major event that threatens humanity as a whole for people to realize at the end of the day we're all the same

no that is what they do and that is their reasoning for me acting "white". The only other black guy that works with us comes late everyday. 
I figured that just messing with you. I don't like almost as when black people talking about getting teased for sounding "white" Usually said black person says something like just because I talk proper English does that mean I'm talking white? F no it's cause you sound like a stereotypical white person from the valley silly rabbit.

Originally Posted by cap1229

I just hate the "but you speak so well" crap.
grin.gif
People actually say that to you? From other races? 
I usually get that from other black people, but nobody from any other race has hit me with that one before. 

It irks me too. When I started college a group of new friends (and some old friends) were hanging around a homegirls apartment and we were having a discussion about the 08 presidential election, school, our futures, etc etc. And during the convo some guys and a couple of girls hit me and my boy with the "I would have never guessed you were from the DMV. You speak so well, I thought you grew up around white people or something" line. 

My face went straight to 
alien.gif
 mode. I've had the "Dawg you talk like a white boy but you still act like a straight n_" responses before, but something about being in college and still hearing it threw me off. 

I haven't heard it in a long time though. I actually think that was the last time someone ever said it to me and that was about 3-4 years ago. 

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

This needs to stop around NT. All the time, theres always that one poster who refers to any spanish speaking person as spanish. Because we all come from Spain huh?!

Jimmies were seriously rustled 11/10, will rage again.

I call them Spanish because they are from Spanish decent. One of them don't even speak Spanish.

I figured that just messing with you. I don't like almost as when black people talking about getting teased for sounding "white" Usually said black person says something like just because I talk proper English does that mean I'm talking white? F no it's cause you sound like a stereotypical white person from the valley silly rabbit.
I wonder how Slicknick feels when some of his own think he's a sellout or white washed.

DC, you have fair points. That's the problem though, there is no reasonable tangible way to deal with it now. It's so far gone, you can't begin to specify in what way the wrong can be righted. Hell, a good start would to acknowledge that it was an injustice done to black people. We are the only group brought to America against our will. Everyone else chose to come here. To slicks point, how would interracial dating get rid of racism? That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think people really understand the magnitude of slavery from a mental, financial, and social aspect. It's really profound.

I think race issues are worse than they wore 10 years ago, I was 11 ten years ago so maybe that's it, but it seems like everyday there's more and more problems.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

I wonder how Slicknick feels when some of his own think he's a sellout or white washed.

that's the thing people who know me know that i am far from it. I have a good family and i know how to act in a corporate setting. I don't come to work saying yo yo yo my nword as others do.

Back
Top Bottom